Sony A80/84J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Can i ask where you ordered it from and what you paid?
Richersounds - £1400. I missed one of their voucher codes, so could have got another £50 or so off.
I noticed the other day that the voucher code was valid again, so if you are thinking about spending in the region of £1350, then it should be possible.

I've been offered an exchange, just determining whether I should bother.

I have constant battle with OCD/anxiety and I'm just trying to determine whether I'm being unreasonable, some will say I am, some won't! My luck goes that exchange it and the next one be worse!
I can't see any noticeable picture issue from it. Its more a case of how normal is it.

Got to say though, it's a fabulous TV. Things could always be better, I feel I've dialed it more to my liking now and it has a bit more punch. 4kdolby vision wreck it Ralph tonight was perfect.

The menus seem dark (home menu) I assume this is deliberate. And I have seen some image retention I never saw on the LG on 3 occasions. I think i prefer a clear gloss front for day viewing too.

However, while not having the razzamataz of the LG it just feels easier to watch, easier to work through, not as glitchy with the picture and the menus and that's the deal for me.

I had been told it delivered a sharper picture, but to me, with that matte front it seems softer. This may seem mad but about 17 years ago when LCD HD (720p) was coming mainstream I paid £1000 for a Panasonic, 32" !!!!! That had a matte screen and I always felt it softened the picture. Still got that set too.

So for the chap who wanted advice on whether to switch, it's not all one way, but I I'm glad I did. I will watch some BBC football at the weekend and let you know how that goes. Just bear in mind it's awaiting the iPlayer etc app.
Thanks for your response.

You’d think for the money we’re paying we could expect it all!

I’m not sure if I’m really susceptible to motion blur, but it’s not mentioned by anyone when reading about the LG G1. In fact the opposite is said. But for me it’s worse than my 2018 Panasonic OLED.

Motion blur is such a big thing for me, maybe it’s not for others, but I watch a fair amount of football & play a football game on my PS5 a few times a week & that’s where it shows up the most.

If you don’t watch or play football on it then it’s probably not as much of an issue.

I’m also not blown away with the 720p content.

That being said the UHD content I’ve watched has been amazing!!

I've been offered an exchange, just determining whether I should bother.

I have constant battle with OCD/anxiety and I'm just trying to determine whether I'm being unreasonable, some will say I am, some won't! My luck goes that exchange it and the next one be worse!
I can't see any noticeable picture issue from it. Its more a case of how normal is it.

Got to say though, it's a fabulous TV. Things could always be better, I feel I've dialed it more to my liking now and it has a bit more punch. 4kdolby vision wreck it Ralph tonight was perfect.

The menus seem dark (home menu) I assume this is deliberate. And I have seen some image retention I never saw on the LG on 3 occasions. I think i prefer a clear gloss front for day viewing too.

However, while not having the razzamataz of the LG it just feels easier to watch, easier to work through, not as glitchy with the picture and the menus and that's the deal for me.

I had been told it delivered a sharper picture, but to me, with that matte front it seems softer. This may seem mad but about 17 years ago when LCD HD (720p) was coming mainstream I paid £1000 for a Panasonic, 32" !!!!! That had a matte screen and I always felt it softened the picture. Still got that set too.

So for the chap who wanted advice on whether to switch, it's not all one way, but I I'm glad I did. I will watch some BBC football at the weekend and let you know how that goes. Just bear in mind it's awaiting the iPlayer etc app.
I too have already seen image retention and I didn't even think I had the menu up (displaying the hdmi ports) for very long for it to have caused an issue!
Being my first oled, I was already nervous about getting one, what with all the burn in hype, but it is concerning to see after such a short time frame.

I am also having lip sync issues with my Apple TV (goes to soundbar, then to TV), which I never had on my Sony led. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. I plan to check my previous audio settings on the old TV Vs the new one, just in case I have missed something.

One thing I may be imagining, the picture felt a bit grainy on 1080 HD with the LG, but this seems a little more grainy, and little more ringing around static text. I could be imagining this being worse than the LG (although only slightly), but is their a setting to help or change this?????
This will almost certainly disappear after a couple of weeks (depending on how many hours the TV is used for). All OLED's sharpen up and get a little brighter after use.

I too have already seen image retention and I didn't even think I had the menu up (displaying the hdmi ports) for very long for it to have caused an issue!
Being my first oled, I was already nervous about getting one, what with all the burn in hype, but it is concerning to see after such a short time frame.

I am also having lip sync issues with my Apple TV (goes to soundbar, then to TV), which I never had on my Sony led. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. I plan to check my previous audio settings on the old TV Vs the new one, just in case I have missed something.
Yeh the IR is a little disappointing in comparison to the LG. But burn in doesn't worry me too much, even though I play games. I am of the opinion that with varied use it should be ok.

Did you take a look at the front of your panel for me, Richer sounds are telling me th efeedback is that its normal, a guy on the sony forum says its normal because of the speakers within the screen, but on here there are comments that their set is completely true and flat.

I will do that, thanks

Would they be off you tube
Yeah , you tube videos should suffice. As long a it's showing horizontal and vertical straight lines like graph paper. A geometry or pincushion test Grid

There's also plenty of images if you Google.

Yeh the IR is a little disappointing in comparison to the LG. But burn in doesn't worry me too much, even though I play games. I am of the opinion that with varied use it should be ok.

Did you take a look at the front of your panel for me, Richer sounds are telling me th efeedback is that its normal, a guy on the sony forum says its normal because of the speakers within the screen, but on here there are comments that their set is completely true and flat.
Morning - Yes, I did reply on the previous page 👍

I mentioned that I only see some minor kinks in the reflections, but nothing like yours.

It's funny as I was also looking for a screen protector and it almost seems as though one is attached due to some interesting marks along the very bottom of the screen, but I guess they are part of the screen itself.

Morning - Yes, I did reply on the previous page 👍

I mentioned that I only see some minor kinks in the reflections, but nothing like yours.

It's funny as I was also looking for a screen protector and it almost seems as though one is attached due to some interesting marks along the very bottom of the screen, but I guess they are part of the screen itself.
yeh, i noticed that (i notice a lot), I asked on here if there was a screen protector. as i wanted to start picking away in hope that it was just bad application of a plastic screen protector that was giving me that recess in the screen. thankfully i didnt try too hard.....haha

Yeah , you tube videos should suffice. As long a it's showing horizontal and vertical straight lines like graph paper. A geometry or pincushion test Grid

There's also plenty of images if you Google.
Thanks, seems ok. Im going to pop into currys on the way home and view a set. Mine does seem quite bad in this regard..........but as far as I can tell it doesnt effect PQ.

Got my 65" last friday but havent really had time to use it much. But as always i still feel like Sony TVs have just a little bit more depth/clarity than other brands altough i think the colors are slightly better on my 55HZ1000.

Did notice a vertical band in the middle in menus etc and it showed in some harsh scenes which is a bit of a bummer because my Panasonic have absolutely no banding in any torture tests and i had gotten used to that but i still have three weeks to decide and gonna see how much it bothers me in regular content until then.

On the the LG it had a screen brightness and brightness in the settings.

I'm right in thinking this TV just has a screen brightness.... Called brightness.

Seems odd that one TV has more settings for this. Not that it's an issue. But is that right.

Got my 65" last friday but havent really had time to use it much. But as always i still feel like Sony TVs have just a little bit more depth/clarity than other brands altough i think the colors are slightly better on my 55HZ1000.

Did notice a vertical band in the middle in menus etc and it showed in some harsh scenes which is a bit of a bummer because my Panasonic have absolutely no banding in any torture tests and i had gotten used to that but i still have three weeks to decide and gonna see how much it bothers me in regular content until then.
Can't see any noticeable banding on mine I'd get a replacement. You can do that 5% grey test. I've herd banding can fade on its own though in the first few days.

On the the LG it had a screen brightness and brightness in the settings.

I'm right in thinking this TV just has a screen brightness.... Called brightness.

Seems odd that one TV has more settings for this. Not that it's an issue. But is that right.
If you go to the brightness section in the settings all of those things can change the brightness e.g. gamma, hdr tone mapping, peak luminance etc. I'd say there's 5 or 6 settings when it comes to brightness.

Noticed today I have a really weird dark triangle appearing when the screen is grey. Looks ok on black and any other colour.

Calling Sony Centre tomorrow to sort out a replacement.

Attachments

• 6C35FF8A-1C00-48BD-9DBA-F6B2F842DAB1.JPG
    6C35FF8A-1C00-48BD-9DBA-F6B2F842DAB1.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 154
Can't see any noticeable banding on mine I'd get a replacement. You can do that 5% grey test. I've herd banding can fade on its own though in the first few days.

Most of my oleds have had banding in content so think it’s kinda pointless. My Panasonic is one of the few times ive got lucky with banding. But i dont really care as much anymore so just gonna see how often it shows up in content before i decide

Richersounds - £1400. I missed one of their voucher codes, so could have got another £50 or so off.
I noticed the other day that the voucher code was valid again, so if you are thinking about spending in the region of £1350, then it should be possible.

You could ask them for a discount (get some money back) if you just bought it and found a discount:

"Our Price Beat is even valid for 14 days after purchase."

Hi, I am considering the TV installation service from John Lewis when I purchase this TV. I have to buy a TV wall mount from John Lewis, any advice on what to get. I am hoping to place the order soon. This is for the 77 inch TV.

Would some mind measuring from the bottom of the screen to the bottom vesa screw holes please as I’m hoping to use my existing bracket

Thanks

Would some mind measuring from the bottom of the screen to the bottom vesa screw holes please as I’m hoping to use my existing bracket

Thanks
Mine is on a stand / bracket, so not easy to get too. However, I tried to get an approximate height from the bottom of the tv to the lowest screw and it's about 4.5inch. This is a rough height ☺️

Mine is on a stand / bracket, so not easy to get too. However, I tried to get an approximate height from the bottom of the tv to the lowest screw and it's about 4.5inch. This is a rough height ☺️
Thanks, approx is close enough at this stage

I’m going for a 77 and hoping I don’t have to move my current bracket.

AD7AC086-B7FC-4737-801C-439D4BAADC81.jpeg

Hopefully the screw height is no different on the 77", as mine is only the 55" - annoyingly my location is restricted, otherwise I would have loved to have gone larger.

The holes on
My current Oled are much lower so there is a good chance the bracket will need to move.

Fingers crossed though

You could ask them for a discount (get some money back) if you just bought it and found a discount:

"Our Price Beat is even valid for 14 days after purchase."
I should have taken a screenshot this morning as the code was still working. I contacted RS and they told me it wasn't applicable to the Sony model and could I provide evidence. Low and behold the code no longer works on the Sony!!

Classic.

Update - email sent with screenshot, as the code is working again (conveniently). Let's see what they come up with this time.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom