Sony A80/84J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

I have had my 75XD9405 professionally calibrated for HDR. On this model, you can't change picture modes once it receives a HDR signal, it just says "HDR VIDEO" People on the forum are using ACE and upping the gamma to max to try and brighten the picture which I don't really want to do. Like I mentioned, downloaded programmes in HDR HLG look great, just not the football. Admittedly, my TV is a 2016 model, but I believe it was Sony's flagship LED for about 5 minutes before the ZD9 came on the market.
Did you watch any of the BBC iPlayer 4K HLG HDR footage for the Euros in the summer? Have you experienced any BT Sport Ultimate in 4K HDR10 50fps? If so, how have you found that?

I am looking to buy a 77" a80j could anyone tell me if this size has the evo panel or the one that was in last years sets. I have seen a few people say the 77 has the evo panel. Not sure if to go 65" a90j or the 77" a80j. Cheers
Have you checked this out yet?

I am looking to buy a 77" a80j could anyone tell me if this size has the evo panel or the one that was in last years sets. I have seen a few people say the 77 has the evo panel. Not sure if to go 65" a90j or the 77" a80j. Cheers
77 inch has evo panel it has been said many times on various reviews etc .don't hesitate in buying one it's brilliant

There are a few reviews about 65 a90 or 77a80 and they all say a80j I had a 65 telly then moved to 75 it was best move but you do get used to size very quickly

Did you watch any of the BBC iPlayer 4K HLG HDR footage for the Euros in the summer? Have you experienced any BT Sport Ultimate in 4K HDR10 50fps? If so, how have you found that?
Again, another strange one. My TV didn't get the HDR update for the i-player, whilst entry level TV's from the same year did! I don't get the broadband speeds required for BT ultimate, so I get BT Sport through Sky. Most of my viewing, Youtube etc, I watch on my Macbook, so my TV is 80% for sports. As you know, the A80J isn't cheap, so I'd hate to get it and find the same dark picture. That's why I was hoping there would be someone on here who has watched football on Sky Q HLG who could confirm how the brightness looks. Thanks.

Ordered the A80j today :smashin:

Thanks to those who provided their feedback / comments.

Last edited:
Hi. Noob here. Expecting my new tv soon and was wandering which HDMI port should be using for Sky Q box? I don’t play games so PS5 or other consoles won’t be connected
Thanks

Thanks for your comments and it's interesting as I am also coming from an XF.
I popped in to my local Curry's (what an experience!) a couple of weeks back, but their TV's were all over the place, with no logic to their layout! Unfortunately they didn't have the 55A80J (not that I could find any way), but they did have the 65" running the usual demo footage, which obviously looked good. You just don't get the same opportunity in viewing / testing as you do in RicherSounds.

I think I am pretty much sold on the Sony now, with the my next decision of do I buy now from RS with the discount codes or wait and get a price match in the near future (Black Friday?) and get it from John Lewis with their Protect + warranty!? Decisions, decisions.........

I read another post somewhere else in this forum, referencing extra warranties etc and saying they don't believe it's worth purchasing an additional warranty to cover burn-in. It's a tough one, especially for a first time OLED buyer like myself, as burn-in is something that is in the back of my mind. I realise I shouldn't have to buy an additional warranty, but at the same time it's extra peace of mind.

What are others take on this?
And apologies for bringing this up, as I realise it's been beaten to death in the past.

Thanks
I went with a 65" A80J and have had it now since May. No buyers remorse and I can say I love it. I watch a lot of movies, through Plex. I use all the main streaming apps - Netflix, Prime, Disney and Apple. The quality (possibly high bitrate) of some of the Apple offerings is awesome. Content from Bravia Core is also a step above.

Gaming is through the PS5 and no problems there with HDR on Warzone. Input lag is all good, well for my ageing skills anyway. The upcoming VRR firmware update will only improve things.

The TV having eARC and decent dolby support whilst linked to my Sony AV Amp means no audio transcoding when watching movies. My previous generation Sony couldnt handle the full range of audio codecs so had to transcode some down to a format it could handle.

You mention concern about screen burn. I got mine from John Lewis and they include the 5 year guarantee in with the price. Surely that's good enough?

Hi. Noob here. Expecting my new tv soon and was wandering which HDMI port should be using for Sky Q box? I don’t play games so PS5 or other consoles won’t be connected
Thanks
If you aren't connecting a seperate AV amp or sound bar, then you are good to use HDMI port 3. This has eARC 4K 120HZ.

If you aren't connecting a seperate AV amp or sound bar, then you are good to use HDMI port 3. This has eARC 4K 120HZ.
Thank you. No AV receiver or sound bar. Just Sky Q box directly to the TV. Watching UHD football and films, Netflix Amazon prime ….

I went with a 65" A80J and have had it now since May. No buyers remorse and I can say I love it. I watch a lot of movies, through Plex. I use all the main streaming apps - Netflix, Prime, Disney and Apple. The quality (possibly high bitrate) of some of the Apple offerings is awesome. Content from Bravia Core is also a step above.

Gaming is through the PS5 and no problems there with HDR on Warzone. Input lag is all good, well for my ageing skills anyway. The upcoming VRR firmware update will only improve things.

The TV having eARC and decent dolby support whilst linked to my Sony AV Amp means no audio transcoding when watching movies. My previous generation Sony couldnt handle the full range of audio codecs so had to transcode some down to a format it could handle.

You mention concern about screen burn. I got mine from John Lewis and they include the 5 year guarantee in with the price. Surely that's good enough?
@jasmart - Thanks for your reply, I bit the bullet yesterday and ordered the 55"👍 (see a couple or so posts above this one).

Looking forward to getting it and applying my ageing skills to COD too 😅

Thank you. No AV receiver or sound bar. Just Sky Q box directly to the TV. Watching UHD football and films, Netflix Amazon prime ….
HDMI 3 is the most fully featured port. Strictly speaking, you wont be using all these features but it makes sense to connect via that one.
Just remember going forward, if you do add an AV amp or sound bar, then connect that to HDMI 3. Your Sky Q box would then be shifted to connect to the amp or sound bar's HDMI connection.

Thanks
To be fair you could use any of the hdmi ports, whatever one you do use make sure you set it to enhanced to get the HDR signal from the sky box

To be fair you could use any of the hdmi ports, whatever one you do use make sure you set it to enhanced to get the HDR signal from the sky box
Thanks. I haven’t got the tv yet. Enhanced is some kind of mode on tv is or
Sorry don’t have a clue

Thanks. I haven’t got the tv yet. Enhanced is some kind of mode on tv is or
Sorry don’t have a clue
On be tv, you set the hdmi input signal to enhanced to allow for hdr signal, it’s under settings and channel and inputs, external inputs

Anyone taken the feet OFF, once installed (55")? I need to mount mine on a swivel stand and I want to lift it on to the stand and them remove the feel (will save about an hours work). Do they just pull down?

UPDATE: I'm assured by our USA friends on AVSForums that they do, indeed, just pull out.
UPDATE 2: ...and indeed they do. Manoeuvre successfully sorted :)

Last edited:
I wondered if someone can do me a quick favour, Im not entirely happy with my LGC1 and was considering exchanging it. Only reason I never got the A80j was because of it lack of VRR etc as I think this will be required for ps5 down the line.
Anyway, My Lg does some strange things with motion, one being micro stutter on 50hz material, the other, being some strange frame jumps when the picture changes from one panning show to another, its not that frequent but it happens.

Another one is when BBC HD news bulletins/ 6pm, 9pm news etc finishes and the camera pans out from the news presenter to the programmes close, the frame skips back or forward during this pan out. It does this every single time. Its not a normal panning stutter, its quite a large jump. I`m watching over an aerial, could someone tell me if this happens on the Sony? Your help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
I wondered if someone can do me a quick favour, Im not entirely happy with my LGC1 and was considering exchanging it. Only reason I never got the A80j was because of it lack of VRR etc as I think this will be required for ps5 down the line.
Anyway, My Lg does some strange things with motion, one being micro stutter on 50hz material, the other, being some strange frame jumps when the picture changes from one panning show to another, its not that frequent but it happens.

Another one is when BBC HD news bulletins/ 6pm, 9pm news etc finishes and the camera pans out from the news presenter to the programmes close, the frame skips back or forward during this pan out. It does this every single time. Its not a normal panning stutter, its quite a large jump. I`m watching over an aerial, could someone tell me if this happens on the Sony? Your help would be much appreciated.
Judder/stutter can be very individual....some are bothered by it more than others. I have all my motion settings off and never notice any stutter or judder whereas others turn theirs up as they're effected more. One of the reasons why I like Sony TV's is because their motion handling is second to none.

Judder/stutter can be very individual....some are bothered by it more than others. I have all my motion settings off and never notice any stutter or judder whereas others turn theirs up as they're effected more. One of the reasons why I like Sony TV's is because their motion handling is second to none.
the frame skip im talking about with the end of BBC HD news is quite large, and im thinking its a 50hz LG thing. hence the question, its not a normal panning stutter/judder thing.
It does same with some change in scenes intermittently, I point out the BBC news one because it happens every time so it would be easy for someone else to see if it does it on the Sonys. It pans out then just before the programme switch regional news and it jumps frames. Like its either jumped forward or back half a second.

Getting my A80J calibrated next Monday by Canary Jules.

the frame skip im talking about with the end of BBC HD news is quite large, and im thinking its a 50hz LG thing. hence the question, its not a normal panning stutter/judder thing.
It does same with some change in scenes intermittently, I point out the BBC news one because it happens every time so it would be easy for someone else to see if it does it on the Sonys. It pans out then just before the programme switch regional news and it jumps frames. Like its either jumped forward or back half a second.
I think these are two different things. The one at the end of the news I don't think is the TV, I think that's the broadcast transitioning from the national service to the regional ones for the local news and every TV I've had does that one, Sony and LG.

The scene change skips are definitely to do with UK 50hz broadcasts and different makes are more or less susceptible to them than others. I had a Sony XE 900 a few years ago and Sony actually swapped it for a new XF900 due to that exact issue as they admitted that the processor was struggling to handle the frame frate differences. I've not seen it on a TV since (and I've been through a few!) although I do very occasionally think I see an almost imperceivable skip on the A80J but certainly not enough to worry about.

I think these are two different things. The one at the end of the news I don't think is the TV, I think that's the broadcast transitioning from the national service to the regional ones for the local news and every TV I've had does that one, Sony and LG.

The scene change skips are definitely to do with UK 50hz broadcasts and different makes are more or less susceptible to them than others. I had a Sony XE 900 a few years ago and Sony actually swapped it for a new XF900 due to that exact issue as they admitted that the processor was struggling to handle the frame frate differences. I've not seen it on a TV since (and I've been through a few!) although I do very occasionally think I see an almost imperceivable skip on the A80J but certainly not enough to worry about.
ah, ok, i just cant ever remember seeing it (the bbc one) on my sony LCD ive just relegated to the back room, but what you say does make sense.

I had tied the two together because they felt similar...... neither issue happens often enough for me to swap for that alone, just as ive never noticed it previously it sort of adds a little annoyance. thanks for your feedback.
Tu
I just cant help feel the Lg motion is a little glitchy....with micro stutter, specifically on 50hz head and arm movements.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom