Sony A80/84J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

@50W

I was very much in the same but with the C1. I had a Sony XF before this so i was already edging it that way but what really sealed it for me was seeing them side by side in RS showing the exact same content with the setting matched as close i can the Sony was better.

Not sure if this is from a lot of reading the C1 needed calibration to get the best picture but the sont ootb was very good and only took a few tweeks to get it looking excellent so no real need for a calibration.

The Sony will have better motion control than the LG and a better pic due to the XR processor. If your not to bothered about the gaming 'features' of VRR and DV @ 120hz then id go the Sony.

Ive been playing Mass Effect legendary over the last few weeks and havent noticed any dimming and i was off work so 6-8 hours a day. Also not noticed and dimming watching football but it would seem different people can be more or less noticeable of this.

The only thing that regrets the purchase, is my wallet.

@50W

I was very much in the same but with the C1. I had a Sony XF before this so i was already edging it that way but what really sealed it for me was seeing them side by side in RS showing the exact same content with the setting matched as close i can the Sony was better.

Not sure if this is from a lot of reading the C1 needed calibration to get the best picture but the sont ootb was very good and only took a few tweeks to get it looking excellent so no real need for a calibration.

The Sony will have better motion control than the LG and a better pic due to the XR processor. If your not to bothered about the gaming 'features' of VRR and DV @ 120hz then id go the Sony.

Ive been playing Mass Effect legendary over the last few weeks and havent noticed any dimming and i was off work so 6-8 hours a day. Also not noticed and dimming watching football but it would seem different people can be more or less noticeable of this.

The only thing that regrets the purchase, is my wallet.
Thanks for your comments and it's interesting as I am also coming from an XF.
I popped in to my local Curry's (what an experience!) a couple of weeks back, but their TV's were all over the place, with no logic to their layout! Unfortunately they didn't have the 55A80J (not that I could find any way), but they did have the 65" running the usual demo footage, which obviously looked good. You just don't get the same opportunity in viewing / testing as you do in RicherSounds.

I think I am pretty much sold on the Sony now, with the my next decision of do I buy now from RS with the discount codes or wait and get a price match in the near future (Black Friday?) and get it from John Lewis with their Protect + warranty!? Decisions, decisions.........

I read another post somewhere else in this forum, referencing extra warranties etc and saying they don't believe it's worth purchasing an additional warranty to cover burn-in. It's a tough one, especially for a first time OLED buyer like myself, as burn-in is something that is in the back of my mind. I realise I shouldn't have to buy an additional warranty, but at the same time it's extra peace of mind.

What are others take on this?
And apologies for bringing this up, as I realise it's been beaten to death in the past.

Thanks

Yes I think the motionflow settings set for each input đź‘Ť
Thanks for the reply.
Not being unappreciative of your thoughts, but did you verify this. Do the motion flow settings actually stay for the TV apps and change as set for an hdmi input back and forth etc.

Thanks again

i was very, very concerned about burn in ive only ever had LCDs. I done a lot of reading and from what i can tell its a bit of a non issue now with the current screen technology unless you really abuse it like having static pics for hours on end.

I do also think this is why they are willing to sell insurance for it, if they thought it would cost them they wouldnt do it but it looks good on them for doing so and i suppose offers a peace of mind for the buyer that they currently dont get from anywhere else.

ive not noticed anything, i once left a static page up for over an hour of VLC and the folders, the screensaver didnt kick in but no screen issues or even image retention that i could see. (i did slap my own hand for being stupid)

i was very, very concerned about burn in ive only ever had LCDs. I done a lot of reading and from what i can tell its a bit of a non issue now with the current screen technology unless you really abuse it like having static pics for hours on end.

I do also think this is why they are willing to sell insurance for it, if they thought it would cost them they wouldnt do it but it looks good on them for doing so and i suppose offers a peace of mind for the buyer that they currently dont get from anywhere else.

ive not noticed anything, i once left a static page up for over an hour of VLC and the folders, the screensaver didnt kick in but no screen issues or even image retention that i could see. (i did slap my own hand for being stupid)
It seems my paranoia has caused me to miss the RicherSounds ÂŁ150 discount :facepalm:
I guess this will give me more time to watch yet more Youtube reviews and annoy my wife some more :D

Thanks again for your reply, much appreciated.

It seems my paranoia has caused me to miss the RicherSounds ÂŁ150 discount :facepalm:
I guess this will give me more time to watch yet more Youtube reviews and annoy my wife some more :D

Thanks again for your reply, much appreciated.
Just buy it. I was like you ,in a quandary but went ahead and bought the 55 inch with the extra insurance from John Lewis. Payed £1699 at the time I think it’s down to £1499 now. And I don’t worry about the £200 price difference because I’ve had so much enjoyment from it.
Just do it ! Do it Now !

Just buy it. I was like you ,in a quandary but went ahead and bought the 55 inch with the extra insurance from John Lewis. Payed £1699 at the time I think it’s down to £1499 now. And I don’t worry about the £200 price difference because I’ve had so much enjoyment from it.
Just do it ! Do it Now !
Im exactly the same, i was going to wait for black friday and hope to get the 65 around ÂŁ2000. i bought at ÂŁ2350 and ive had such a good experience, i actually dont mind all that much

Just do it ! Do it Now !
It's just frustrating that I missed their offer by possibly a day.

It's good to hear that you are pleased with yours.

Here's my Mirror TV installed. Unfortunately the only option is directly opposite a big floor to ceiling double door!
To be honest when blinds and curtains are shut it's not a problem.

Really happy with this over my 10+year old Samsung 55"
View attachment 1510823

View attachment 1510824
View attachment 1510825
Hi there. I'm about to pull the trigger on either the A80J or the X95J. I'm a bit concerned about whether the A80J will be bright enough for Football on Sky Q. (HLG) Have you had a chance to watch any, and if so, how did it look? Thanks.

Champions league on BT Sport HD looked a bit meh on this tv (using an old sky hd box), a bit blurry unless showing close ups. Had to crank up reality creation to nearly max, anyone else got this issue? I've got a feeling they've done this on purpose so that people would upgrade to their 4k channels.

Champions league on BT Sport HD looked a bit meh on this tv (using an old sky hd box), a bit blurry unless showing close ups. Had to crank up reality creation to nearly max, anyone else got this issue? I've got a feeling they've done this on purpose so that people would upgrade to their 4k channels.
I watched the champions league last night and on my sky q box the picture was superb.

I watched the champions league last night and on my sky q box the picture was superb.
Have you watched any Premier League games on Sky HDR? On my current TV, Sony 75XD9405, the football in HLG is very dark and colours oversaturated hence why I'd like to know how it looks on the A80J prior to purchasing.

After weeks of trying to decide between an A80J and the LG C1 (and holding out for BF deals), I've just ordered a 65" A84J. I had previously been leaning towards the LG for the gaming features but @ ÂŁ1399 for a Grade A refurbished model from Sony Direct I couldn't resist! Plus had Sony TV's for the past 30 years and love the more "natural" look and motion on them.

I watched it on BT hd , but my sky q box is set to 2160.
I know people say that the tv upscales better than sky but I can’t be bothered changing the format on sky if I want to watch a uhd / hdr movie on sky so I just leave it at that.
but all I can say is wether it’s bt or sky football it is brilliant in HD.

Have you watched any Premier League games on Sky HDR? On my current TV, Sony 75XD9405, the football in HLG is very dark and colours oversaturated hence why I'd like to know how it looks on the A80J prior to purchasing.
I have watched some PL football via my sky q box and HLG, it’s hard to say, prior to this set I had a LG c8 which when watching football was quite bright, but the Sony displays better highlights, I am impressed with the picture Quality of the Sony compared to my c8. also I have noticed judder on the football with the c8 but it looks much better on the Sony. One thing I do miss is the pop up showing which format is playing when showing HDR, you don’t get that with the Sony.

If you press your picture settings it tell you if you are watching in HDR / Dolby Vision. It is in the top corner of the picture settings.

I have watched some PL football via my sky q box and HLG, it’s hard to say, prior to this set I had a LG c8 which when watching football was quite bright, but the Sony displays better highlights, I am impressed with the picture Quality of the Sony compared to my c8. also I have noticed judder on the football with the c8 but it looks much better on the Sony. One thing I do miss is the pop up showing which format is playing when showing HDR, you don’t get that with the Sony.
But it's not overly dark when watching in HLG is it? There are a lot on people on the Sky Q forum complaining about it. Strangely, when I watch a nature programme downloaded on Sky HLG, the picture is amazing but the football is very dark and colours oversaturated. I don't know if it's the way Sky implement HLG for live broadcasts or Sony TV's in general.

But it's not overly dark when watching in HLG is it? There are a lot on people on the Sky Q forum complaining about it. Strangely, when I watch a nature programme downloaded on Sky HLG, the picture is amazing but the football is very dark and colours oversaturated. I don't know if it's the way Sky implement HLG for live broadcasts or Sony TV's in general.

What TVs are the people using that are complaining? If they aren't using recent OLEDs or top spec LED LCD TVs with FALD then it is likely the TV they are viewing on can't do HDR well.

Also a lot of these people watch SDR content with 'wrong' settings i.e. with the backlight (Brightness on Sony TVs) wayyyyy too high, much higher than the recommended 120nits. Then when they go from overbrightened SDR images to 'correct' HDR images they don't like it and complain.

On your TV, what picture mode are you using? On the XF9005 model it was found that the Cinema Home picture mode was the best one for SDR content and the Cinema Pro picture mode was the best for HDR10/HLG HDR content.

What Brightness do you use for SDR content? On my 55XF9005 I used to have my Brightness on 4 I think for SDR with xtended dynamic range Low (or you could turn it off), then of course 100 for HDR with x-tended dynamic range High.

I watched it on BT hd , but my sky q box is set to 2160.
I know people say that the tv upscales better than sky but I can’t be bothered changing the format on sky if I want to watch a uhd / hdr movie on sky so I just leave it at that.
but all I can say is wether it’s bt or sky football it is brilliant in HD.
Fair enough, maybe I need to get a sky q box instead of this sky+ HD box. My hdmi cable is also going through an old splitter to get sky on a second tv... I'll need to try plugging the hdmi directly into the TV instead.

Fair enough, maybe I need to get a sky q box instead of this sky+ HD box. My hdmi cable is also going through an old splitter to get sky on a second tv... I'll need to try plugging the hdmi directly into the TV instead.
I have all my Hdmi cables going through my AVR , then Hdmi cable to Hdmi on the tv. Ie, sky , Apple 4k tv, 4k Blu-ray player.

What TVs are the people using that are complaining? If they aren't using recent OLEDs or top spec LED LCD TVs with FALD then it is likely the TV they are viewing on can't do HDR well.

Also a lot of these people watch SDR content with 'wrong' settings i.e. with the backlight (Brightness on Sony TVs) wayyyyy too high, much higher than the recommended 120nits. Then when they go from overbrightened SDR images to 'correct' HDR images they don't like it and complain.

On your TV, what picture mode are you using? On the XF9005 model it was found that the Cinema Home picture mode was the best one for SDR content and the Cinema Pro picture mode was the best for HDR10/HLG HDR content.

What Brightness do you use for SDR content? On my 55XF9005 I used to have my Brightness on 4 I think for SDR with xtended dynamic range Low (or you could turn it off), then of course 100 for HDR with x-tended dynamic range High.
I have had my 75XD9405 professionally calibrated for HDR. On this model, you can't change picture modes once it receives a HDR signal, it just says "HDR VIDEO" People on the forum are using ACE and upping the gamma to max to try and brighten the picture which I don't really want to do. Like I mentioned, downloaded programmes in HDR HLG look great, just not the football. Admittedly, my TV is a 2016 model, but I believe it was Sony's flagship LED for about 5 minutes before the ZD9 came on the market.

I am looking to buy a 77" a80j could anyone tell me if this size has the evo panel or the one that was in last years sets. I have seen a few people say the 77 has the evo panel. Not sure if to go 65" a90j or the 77" a80j. Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom