Sony A80/84J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

As much as I enjoy the xh9505 I just can't settle because of it not having inky blacks
I upgraded from a cheap Samsung LCD to the Sony XH95 and still felt it lacked contrast. The wide angle filter Sony uses is what kills off the contrast apparently,
So can imagine going from an OLED to the XH95 must be frustrating.

I upgraded from a cheap Samsung LCD to the Sony XH95 and still felt it lacked contrast. The wide angle filter Sony uses is what kills off the contrast apparently,
So can imagine going from an OLED to the XH95 must be frustrating.
Yes very frustrating indeed. Don't get me wrong the xh95 can really surprise you at times with peak brightness, but the blooming in black bars I cant deal with. I read about the wide angle filter doing that to the contrast. It's a great TV, but coming from oled it's difficult to adjust.

Hi, I notice quite a lot of flicker and judder with all the tru motion settings off with the lgc1, I find it quite difficult when watching football. I think it's just an oled thing, anyone have any experience of having had the LG C1 going to the a80j and if Sonys set is better for that?

Otherwise think i might have to go Sammy led route.....if I can't get used to it. Been very tired recently however....

Hi, I notice quite a lot of flicker and judder with all the tru motion settings off with the lgc1, I find it quite difficult when watching football. I think it's just an oled thing, anyone have any experience of having had the LG C1 going to the a80j and if Sonys set is better for that?

Otherwise think i might have to go Sammy led route.....if I can't get used to it. Been very tired recently however....
What's wrong with turning the motion settings on? You'll get judder on the sony too unless the motion setting is switched on.

Hi all don’t know if anyone has any experience of this issue. I have plugged my Apple TV 4K 2021 into HDMI1 on the a80j, this is set to enhanced and have a q800a soundbar in HDMI3. If I have earc on auto and pass through set to on I don’t get Dolby atmos as an option on the Apple box but I do if I turn earc off and just have normal arc. I could plug into the soundbar but currently have sky box into the soundbar as there was quite a delay in sound when coming out of pause, many thanks

What's wrong with turning the motion settings on? You'll get judder on the sony too unless the motion setting is switched on.
I do, still does it, without going ridiculous with setting, maybe it's the dog sky Go app....
Having said that it still judders on c4hd.

Last edited:
Hi all don’t know if anyone has any experience of this issue. I have plugged my Apple TV 4K 2021 into HDMI1 on the a80j, this is set to enhanced and have a q800a soundbar in HDMI3. If I have earc on auto and pass through set to on I don’t get Dolby atmos as an option on the Apple box but I do if I turn earc off and just have normal arc. I could plug into the soundbar but currently have sky box into the soundbar as there was quite a delay in sound when coming out of pause, many thanks
You don't need eARC to pass lossy DD+ Atmos. However, you would need eARC enabled to passthrough multichannel Linear PCM. The ATV4K produces Dolby Atmos by decoding streaming service DD+ Atmos to LPCM, then sends the LPCM audio data including the Atmos metadata data inside a Dolby MAT container (Dolby MAT is LPCM with Atmos metadata).

Have you tried leaving eARC enabled and playing some Atmos content? Does the soundbar display that it is playing Dolby Atmos content?

I do, still does it, without going ridiculous with setting, maybe it's the dog sky Go app....
Having said that it still judders on c4hd.
Sky go maxes out at 720p 25 FPS. It's not a reference point for any TV.

What's your source for Channel 4HD? If it's the inbuilt tuner or a TV box set to 50hz it should be completely fine with all Tru-Motion settings off and Real Cinema off.

Sky go maxes out at 720p 25 FPS. It's not a reference point for any TV.

What's your source for Channel 4HD? If it's the inbuilt tuner or a TV box set to 50hz it should be completely fine with all Tru-Motion settings off and Real Cinema off.
Yeh, I think on oled it displays worse than my old LCD too (which was £1500 9 years back). Im beginning to realise that these sets really expose shit feeds. Trust me though, it looks way worse than 720p.

C4 hd, I'm using through the in built tuner/aerial. Picture generally fine, just feels a bit Skippy. I'm watching something on UHD as we speak but camera judder on this doesn't concern me at all.

I’ve added a 55” A80ju as a potential next tv when I leave my xf9005 behind

the LG c1 still looks a favourite but I really do like my current sony

however I want whatever I get to be as future proof as possible and make full use of my series x. Am i correct in thinking that the a80 will not do vrr ?

I’ve added a 55” A80ju as a potential next tv when I leave my xf9005 behind

the LG c1 still looks a favourite but I really do like my current sony

however I want whatever I get to be as future proof as possible and make full use of my series x. Am i correct in thinking that the a80 will not do vrr ?

Correct it won't, for now. Sony have promised one, will it come, will it work well?
You pays your money you take your chance.....
If it had it out of the box I would have bought the a80j.... Only you can decide on this....

You don't need eARC to pass lossy DD+ Atmos. However, you would need eARC enabled to passthrough multichannel Linear PCM. The ATV4K produces Dolby Atmos by decoding streaming service DD+ Atmos to LPCM, then sends the LPCM audio data including the Atmos metadata data inside a Dolby MAT container (Dolby MAT is LPCM with Atmos metadata).

Have you tried leaving eARC enabled and playing some Atmos content? Does the soundbar display that it is playing Dolby Atmos content?
Thanks for the reply. Yes if I play content then no Dolby atmos is displayed on the soundbar, if I change it to arc then I get Dolby atmos displayed. When I play the Dolby atmos test disc on the oppo which also uses earc then I get Dolby atmos via Dolby tru hd. It must be something with the Apple TV

I find with inbuilt apps on my Sony I need to have motionflow settings on to eliminate judder. Blu rays which are 24fps run smooth without motionflow settings. I was in currys and I saw a Sony a80j being shown with various clips on a memory stick. One of them was football and it was the smoothest motion I had ever saw. Not sure what settings was set on TV, but, it looked super smooth without looking un natural.

I find with inbuilt apps on my Sony I need to have motionflow settings on to eliminate judder. Blu rays which are 24fps run smooth without motionflow settings. I was in currys and I saw a Sony a80j being shown with various clips on a memory stick. One of them was football and it was the smoothest motion I had ever saw. Not sure what settings was set on TV, but, it looked super smooth without looking un natural.
Can you set the motion flow settings as per different input. Eg. Hdmi 1 motion flow off. TV on.
So that you do not have to mess about and keep changing them

I am struggling between the LG G1 and the Sony A80J!

I am split between the two at present, with both TV's offering positives, as well as negatives. Anyone here in a similar position or was and then went for the Sony?

I am split between the two at present, with both TV's offering positives, as well as negatives. Anyone here in a similar position or was and then went for the Sony?
I'm in a similar position as well. Leaning towards the Sony because my number 1 priority is movie, TV shows.

Why don't you list out what you are looking for from your TV, then list the pros and cons for your use case for each TV and then people can try and confirm/deny/suggest workarounds for any concerns you may have? :)

Why don't you list out what you are looking for from your TV, then list the pros and cons for your use case for each TV and then people can try and confirm/deny/suggest workarounds for any concerns you may have? :)
That was my next step, just didn't have the time earlier this morning to list it all. Hopefully I can put something together this afternoon :smashin:

Trying to choose between the LG G1 and the Sony A80J (55”)

I will be using the tv for general viewing of Sky channels (mixture of SD & HD), Apple TV, Netflix,4K Films & PS5 gaming (mixture of both online and local).

Screen reflection – Is one better than the other? I would assume the Sony would be better, due to the matt screen, but it seems Youtubers prefer the LG!?

ABL (Dimming over time) – Is this an issue with the Sony, as online Youtubers point this out as a concern during gaming.

Motion – I would prefer the best motion handling, which from what I have seen / read, the Sony is the better option.

Gaming – The LG seems to win on this front and would be nice to have very low input lag, as I need all the help I can get with COD! However, I am no professional gamer and only play 2-3 times a week if I am lucky, so the Sony may well be good enough for my needs.

Price – At present the Sony is cheaper than the LG.

Screen / Brightness – The G1 has the new evo screen, so should provide a brighter screen which I assume would be good for a lighter living room, which I have.

Warranty – LG G1 comes with a 2-5yr screen warranty (exc. Labour). With the Sony I would be looking at purchasing from John Lewis, along with their Protect Plus warranty.

Black Performance – I have seen some online video’s referring to black performance and crushing blacks and they imply the LG is better at handling these. Is this the case or is the difference between the two very minor, if at all?

Stand / Mount – The tv will be fixed to a swivel stand, so no issue with either tv.

TV Interface – I don’t really have a preference and I am not bothered by the lack of catch-up tv apps on the Sony 😊

In Summary – I guess I am edging towards the Sony over the LG, with some slight hesitation about dimming (ABL), will the screen be bright enough (bright enough with Dolby Vision?) and black performance.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Hello,

I just purchased A84J 77” to replace my 65” Panasonic FX802B.

In the 77” it seems the Sony is the best one for movie watching as opposed to LG C1 or CX. I also think this is better than the Sony A9G from 2019.

@50W

If you only play that little a week i would just go with the TV you think will give you a better picture. I used to play CoD quite often back in the days but on a monitor and i was pretty damn good. These days i play casually and on a TV and honestly i don't think 8-18 ms is gonna make a difference to how you perform, i've played on a Panasonic oled, a LG OLED etc and they all feel similar. The 120hz makes a difference though, i dont care for it in single player games but online against other players it's good to have so if you need more than 2 ports that support 4k120hz then the G1 would of course have the advantage.

But since i currently only have a PS5 and dont plan on getting another device to take advantage of 4k120hz i decided to go for the A80J, getting mine on friday.

@50W

If you only play that little a week i would just go with the TV you think will give you a better picture. I used to play CoD quite often back in the days but on a monitor and i was pretty damn good. These days i play casually and on a TV and honestly i don't think 8-18 ms is gonna make a difference to how you perform, i've played on a Panasonic oled, a LG OLED etc and they all feel similar. The 120hz makes a difference though, i dont care for it in single player games but online against other players it's good to have so if you need more than 2 ports that support 4k120hz then the G1 would of course have the advantage.

But since i currently only have a PS5 and dont plan on getting another device to take advantage of 4k120hz i decided to go for the A80J, getting mine on friday.
Thanks Chamberlain, yeah I certainly don't get the time to game like I used to!
I agree on the lag aspect and didn't think it would be noticeable in all fairness, but it's good to hear others opinions.
I am not phased by the Sony only having two 2.1 ports, so I'm good there.

Good luck with yours, you will have to update us on Friday 👍

Where did you get yours from, if you don't mind me asking? Richersounds deal by any chance?

Cheers

Thanks Chamberlain, yeah I certainly don't get the time to game like I used to!
I agree on the lag aspect and didn't think it would be noticeable in all fairness, but it's good to hear others opinions.
I am not phased by the Sony only having two 2.1 ports, so I'm good there.

Good luck with yours, you will have to update us on Friday 👍

Where did you get yours from, if you don't mind me asking? Richersounds deal by any chance?

Cheers

Sorry mate i live in sweden so completely different retailers!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom