Sony A80/84J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Thanks for the feedback. Do you mind if I ask you another question seeing as you had the AF8 previously; is the Dolby Vision over hdmi issue fixed with the new Sonys?
Which issue?

Which issue?

Sony's implementation of Dolby Vision was Player/source led as opposed to TV led as their SOC was sh*te! This resulted in a terrible (IMO unwatchable) Dolby vision experience. So for example on the A1/Af8, & possibly af9/ag9 if you watch a DV show on the internal Netflix app, it would look good, bright. If you watched that same DV show on a Netflix app on an external HDMI device blu-ray player, or Apple TV for example with same picture settings it would be very dim, again unwatchable IMO. Vincent Teoh stated in his A80J review that DV implementation is now TV led. That issue..! :)

Last edited:
Gotcha. Can't comment too much as I rarely use anything but the internal apps and don't have a separate Bluray player. I do have an Nvidia Shield and haven't noticed any major difference, but even that I rarely use as it's only for any Atmos movies in Plex that I can't get Atmos from on the TVs Plex app.

Hi Guys,

i'm a new owner of 77" A80J in replacement of a burned (no more red) C7 LG OLED. And my first impression watching Cars Movie was (Hoo this blue car on C7 is in fact a purple car) :)

TV was calibrated by vendor but i know it's better to way +/- 100 hours before calibration.

I have some noobs questions :
  • Is a menu exist where i can display debug info on display and sound (DV/HDR, Definition, i/s, sound, etc) ? I know the 'i' button on remote but this is not really enought and didn't work for Android app (Netflix OK and Bravia long press on action button)
  • Is it possible to display a buble notification when image format change (like LG do) for Dolby Vision, HDR, Calibrated Mode, etc ?

Thank you guys !!!

Vodnok,

Does anyone know how I can check if I am getting Dolby Atmos on the internal speakers? Since there is no pop up like LG

is the only way to check is if on the prepay screen it says vision/Atmos on the internal apps? Also When playing anything Atmos on say Netflix internal app I can still change the sound modes to standard, cinema etc I thought Atmos would have its own sound mode on the TVs speakers.

also which is the best sound setting for the TV speakers is it Standard,cinema or Dolby audio?

hi, Can I ask what colour banding is like on this tv? A good place to check is on Spotify home screen Or just after selecting a song, and from top to bottom on the LG It colour bands.

Is this the same on all OLEDs?

Last edited:
Can I also ask does the screen dim when playing hdr games with a static content on it such as a mini map? Something to do with the automatic brightness limiter automatically clicking in that you can’t disable?

Anyone know how to stop my console from turning on by itself when I switch inputs to the hdmi port its connected to?

Bravia sync is on, but I switched off the two auto settings...

Edit: sorted

Last edited:
Can I also ask does the screen dim when playing hdr games with a static content on it such as a mini map? Something to do with the automatic brightness limiter automatically clicking in that you can’t disable?
I am also interested to know whether ABL kicks in during gaming? I know Vincent mentioned FIFA and the screen dimming, but is this only when HDR is in use?

Thanks

Edit - Don't worry, it seems the screen still dims during gaming.

Last edited:
Suddenly getting problems with Disney+ not loading. Switching tv off and unplugged it hasn’t work also reloading app hasn’t?? Enyone else having problems??

did a tv factory reboot and still get this.. working fine on other devices 🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• 9418D234-0F8A-476E-B4F8-F40EABEEFB68.jpeg
    9418D234-0F8A-476E-B4F8-F40EABEEFB68.jpeg
    211.4 KB · Views: 111
I'm considering buying the 65 inch a80j. After initially upgrading my LG c7 oled to the xh9505 I really miss the oled blacks. Also, the Sony is far too bright as most of my movie watching is in the dark. It seems every time I see a TV there is some kind of issue that keeps cropping up with the one in mind. I keep seeing that the 65 inch a80j has a semi gloss coating which some people find an issue. Can someone shed some light on this based on personal experience with this TV?

I'm considering buying the 65 inch a80j. After initially upgrading my LG c7 oled to the xh9505 I really miss the oled blacks. Also, the Sony is far too bright as most of my movie watching is in the dark. It seems every time I see a TV there is some kind of issue that keeps cropping up with the one in mind. I keep seeing that the 65 inch a80j has a semi gloss coating which some people find an issue. Can someone shed some light on this based on personal experience with this TV?
Can't say I've noticed it myself....certainly not an issue when watching. I had the xf90 prior to the A80J so screen coating was similar so can only assume I'm used to it. Personally think the Matt effect is better than the gloss on most oleds but whether the effect impact is determined by viewing environment I can only say it's fine in my home.....and if you determined buying a TV or not on issues alone you'll never have a TV lol....all TVs have issues of one kind or another

When you say XH9505 is too bright, do you mean for SDR viewing or HDR viewing? When viewing HDR content, providing it has been filmed and mastered correctly, the APL (average picture level - a fancy way of saying the standard brightness of a scene) should actually be the same between SDR and HDR content its just the darks are better and the bright highlights are very spectacular, along with the wider color gamut afforded by the rec.2020 colour space.

So could you clarify further your comment of too bright? :)

When you say XH9505 is too bright, do you mean for SDR viewing or HDR viewing? When viewing HDR content, providing it has been filmed and mastered correctly, the APL (average picture level - a fancy way of saying the standard brightness of a scene) should actually be the same between SDR and HDR content its just the darks are better and the bright highlights are very spectacular, along with the wider color gamut afforded by the rec.2020 colour space.

So could you clarify further your comment of too bright? :)

I just find that oled is more suitable for my dark room viewing. I like the black bars in movies to be solid black, this is what I miss about my c7 oled which is now in the bedroom. I find the occasional light bleeding into the black bars with my xh9505 during hdr movies. It also does seem very bright to me in a completely dark room. This is even with the brightness level dialed down to between 1 and 10, and hdr is at 30, 50 being maximum.

I just find that oled is more suitable for my dark room viewing. I like the black bars in movies to be solid black, this is what I miss about my c7 oled which is now in the bedroom. I find the occasional light bleeding into the black bars with my xh9505 during hdr movies. It also does seem very bright to me in a completely dark room. This is even with the brightness level dialed down to between 1 and 10, and hdr is at 30, 50 being maximum.
Yeah for SDR viewing in a dark room, Brightness (backlight on Sony LEDs lol) should be at 3 or 4 out of 50 for approx. 120 nits brightness with extended dynamic range Off or Low for a little bit of extra pop. For HDR, Brightness should be max with extended dynamic range High.

Even the newer OLEDs will be a fair bit brightet than a C7 although you do benefit of couse from the no blooming and infinte contrast ratio.

Yeah for SDR viewing in a dark room, Brightness (backlight on Sony LEDs lol) should be at 3 or 4 out of 50 for approx. 120 nits brightness with extended dynamic range Off or Low for a little bit of extra pop. For HDR, Brightness should be max with extended dynamic range High.

Even the newer OLEDs will be a fair bit brightet than a C7 although you do benefit of couse from the no blooming and infinte contrast ratio

Even the newer OLEDs will be a fair bit brightet than a C7 although you do benefit of couse from the no blooming and infinte contrast ratio.
Yes true. As much as I enjoy the xh9505 I just can't settle because of it not having inky blacks. My original post was to do with the so called semi gloss screen on the 65 inch A80J and people's opinions of it. That's the TV I'm set on getting, was also considering the C1. I do love the Sony look with movies, natural looking skin tones and great out of box calibration.

I was worried about reflections when looking for an oled tv since they are all made of glass and reflect like a mirror. But I have to say that the reflection handling with the semi gloss screen on my 55 inch is excellent! I'm glad an oled exist with this type of coating, even though most people seem to want to avoid it.

I was worried about reflections when looking for an oled tv since they are all made of glass and reflect like a mirror. But I have to say that the reflection handling with the semi gloss screen on my 55 inch is excellent! I'm glad an oled exist with this type of coating, even though most people seem to want to avoid it.
That's good to know mate. As most of my TV watching will be in the dark anyway I can only assume it would be a non issue. Are u enjoying your a80j?

That's good to know mate. As most of my TV watching will be in the dark anyway I can only assume it would be a non issue. Are u enjoying your a80j?
Yep it's great! First time owning an oled, animated movies look incredible. I get impressed by end credits in movies for some reason now looking at pure blacks lol.

Upscaling is very good in general once I figured out what settings to change. Still not a big fan of film grain though which I never noticed on my old TV (1080p lcd that I used for 10+ years).

Motion is fine, no problems with sports. Haven't gamed much yet but looks good too 👍🏻

Yep it's great! First time owning an oled, animated movies look incredible. I get impressed by end credits in movies for some reason now looking at pure blacks lol.

Upscaling is very good in general once I figured out what settings to change. Still not a big fan of film grain though which I never noticed on my old TV (1080p lcd that I used for 10+ years).

Motion is fine, no problems with sports. Haven't gamed much yet but looks good too 👍🏻

Excellent good to know. You can't beat true blacks of an oled.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom