Sony A80/84J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Bought my first ever oled this week and decided to go with the 55 inch A80J, amazing so far!

There's so many picture settings I can change, can anyone recommend a good place to get calibration settings? Maybe I should look on the AVS forum?

I noticed that prime video in 4k isn't that good compared to netflix, anyone else noticing that too? I used to use a firestick 4k, maybe I need to check on there.

Is the max bitrate in netflix 15.25mbps for 4k content? I noticed some things look better than other things. Watching clickbait in DV and there's a bit of noise, any settings I can use to reduce that?

I was worried about brightness with oled but can change so many settings to make the TV brighter if I wanted so that's really cool! Reflections aren't as bad as I thought either, I think this semi gloss screen really helps with that - don't know why people would want to avoid it.
If you're impressed now, just wait two or three weeks and the picture will be even better!

If you're impressed now, just wait two or three weeks and the picture will be even better!
Really? The picture changes on an oled? What gets better 🤷‍♂️

Apart from the noise issue in netflix can't see much else wrong with it yet! Hopefully the motion is good with sports, since it seems to work well in movies.

Really? The picture changes on an oled? What gets better 🤷‍♂️

Apart from the noise issue in netflix can't see much else wrong with it yet! Hopefully the motion is good with sports, since it seems to work well in movies.
I've never looked up the science but i'm now on my fifth OLED and they've all got sharper and a little brighter after the first two or three weeks of normal use.

Hi all, don’t know if anyone can help, but got a a80j replacing my c8. When I connect my Apple TV 4K 2021 to the hdmi 4 which is set to enhanced and Dolby vision the Apple box does not support Dolby atmos. Soundbar is the q800a any help would be appreciated

I've got 2 issues at the moment, does anyone know how to fix them?

1. Plugged in my sky box to hdmi 2 but my inputs screen thinks it's on hdmi 3 so every time I use my sky remote it's auto switching to hdmi 3 - EDIT: FIXED THIS
2. Got my digital aerial set up, when using the voice assistant button on the remote while in netflix it searches my digital aerial instead and auto switches to that

Last edited:
Blimey. Costco have the 77A80J on for £3120 now. So it's £1180 less than I paid 4 months ago. :( Dropped a lot more than I expected.

Hi.

Danish A80J owner here, finally made the jump to OLED from Panasonic plasma.

I can't get ARC to work with my Yamaha RX-V1073 receiver. There's picture but no sound and there seems to be no handshaking going on. I have never used arc before, as I used to connect my Shield + bluray player to the receiver, but as the receiver is not 4k compatible I have now hooked the Shield directly to the TV.

HDMI cable is a brand new ultra high speed certified.

Sony:
HDMI 3 port
E-arc = auto
Passthrough = auto

Receiver:
HDMI out port
HDMI Control = on
Audio Input = Audio 1
Arc = on
Standby Sync = on/auto

I have tried different settings and tried different audio inputs on the receiver, but no matter what I can't get sound. I have tried reconnecting the cable and switching the deviced off and on again.

Any ideas?

Edit: Finally got it working :)

Last edited:
Does Sony A80/84J have better sound quality over Sony 49XH8505?

I currently have Sony 49XH8505 and I like to know what the difference between Sony A80/84J and Sony 49XH8505

Last edited:
I'm switching to OLED from an XF90 and this TV interests me but lack of BBC iPlayer is a deal breaker especially as there's more HDR content appearing on there.

I'm switching to OLED from an XF90 and this TV interests me but lack of BBC iPlayer is a deal breaker especially as there's more HDR content appearing on there.
It's really ridiculous. How can they not get this right when the 2020 Sony's all have iPlayer and with UHD support. It's been "coming soon" for months now and even if they deliver on their apparent "2021" promise, could still in theory be another 4 months

Any idea what the update did today?

If you mean 6.3800 it's been out for about a month and does bugger all (or at least nothing that anyone wants) :)
Hmmm ok I'll check the update number then

Thanks but it's specifically whether or not it dims the screen when there's a fixed scoreboard on screen?
Hi, just wondering if you ever got a response to this, or did you get the tv in the end? I'm a 65AF8 owner and that has bugged me for 3.5 years! Thinking of going for the 77a80j in next few weeks

Hi all, don’t know if anyone can help, but got a a80j replacing my c8. When I connect my Apple TV 4K 2021 to the hdmi 4 which is set to enhanced and Dolby vision the Apple box does not support Dolby atmos. Soundbar is the q800a any help would be appreciated

Make sure you have the audio settings in apple tv menu set to "change format - OFF"

Probably a stupid question, but will i need to use a google account to use this tv? I don't currently have one and would rather not. The internal apps won't be used and Google voice services are of no interest to me. I will be using an Apple TV 4K & Sky Q for most viewing -Thanks

Probably a stupid question, but will i need to use a google account to use this tv? I don't currently have one and would rather not. The internal apps won't be used and Google voice services are of no interest to me. I will be using an Apple TV 4K & Sky Q for most viewing -Thanks
You can set the TV up as a basic TV without using a Google account

Hi, just wondering if you ever got a response to this, or did you get the tv in the end? I'm a 65AF8 owner and that has bugged me for 3.5 years! Thinking of going for the 77a80j in next few weeks
Not here, but I did check out various other forums and I did get the TV in the end. It's a great TV and I get no dimming with footie or any other sports that end up with scoreboards on the screen full time. I do have Peak Luminance on Medium, not high, but the new HDR footie on Sky means that the TV automatically switches to High Peak luminance and I've not encountered any dimming with that either. my previous a8H also didn't dim.

I always suggest people buy TVs online and not in a shop - that way you can return inside a reasonable window (John Lewis is 35 days and with a 5 year warranty) so if you're not happy with anything it can go back.

Not here, but I did check out various other forums and I did get the TV in the end. It's a great TV and I get no dimming with footie or any other sports that end up with scoreboards on the screen full time. I do have Peak Luminance on Medium, not high, but the new HDR footie on Sky means that the TV automatically switches to High Peak luminance and I've not encountered any dimming with that either. my previous a8H also didn't dim.

I always suggest people buy TVs online and not in a shop - that way you can return inside a reasonable window (John Lewis is 35 days and with a 5 year warranty) so if you're not happy with anything it can go back.
Thanks, is a big concern after 3.5yrs of dimming premier league, F1, UFC! How the hdr football looking? I don’t bother with hdr over hdmi with the af8 as it’s too dim, hoping the a80j is better

Thanks, is a big concern after 3.5yrs of dimming premier league, F1, UFC! How the hdr football looking? I don’t bother with hdr over hdmi with the af8 as it’s too dim, hoping the a80j is better
I find HDR to be very hit and miss all round. Most streaming content is good, especially in Dolby Vision. Sky HDR can be dull on some programming but I have to say that the footie looks really good so far. I have BT sport with 4K HDR as well but most of the time I have to turn it off as it's just plain dull unless the match is on a sunny day and no amount of tweaking settings will sort it out. The issue seems to be with HLG HDR that gets used for live HDR but content can very a lot so I presume it's mainly down to how the content providers deal with it, rather than the TV.

I find HDR to be very hit and miss all round. Most streaming content is good, especially in Dolby Vision. Sky HDR can be dull on some programming but I have to say that the footie looks really good so far. I have BT sport with 4K HDR as well but most of the time I have to turn it off as it's just plain dull unless the match is on a sunny day and no amount of tweaking settings will sort it out. The issue seems to be with HLG HDR that gets used for live HDR but content can very a lot so I presume it's mainly down to how the content providers deal with it, rather than the TV.
Thanks for the feedback. Do you mind if I ask you another question seeing as you had the AF8 previously; is the Dolby Vision over hdmi issue fixed with the new Sonys?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom