Sony A80/84J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

do you leave it off for everything. I’m just getting use to the 77inch size after a 55!😱
Yeah I do because I use the custom preset mostly and can’t be bothered changing presets.
generally with smoothness on the 1 setting you can’t notice it much on sky Q but as soon as I put a 4K disc in it was horrible so I just switched it off.

Yeah I do because I use the custom preset mostly and can’t be bothered changing presets.
generally with smoothness on the 1 setting you can’t notice it much on sky Q but as soon as I put a 4K disc in it was horrible so I just switched it off.
I must admit I’d switch off all motion on my LG C7 then I’d switch it all back on just to experiment with it. 😂SkyQ I’d always switch off because it was just easier than messing around with certain programs that had judder. Thanks for the reply 👍 just interesting to know what setting people used!?

A quick question.

I'm using the Amazon Music app in my 77A80J and having a problem passing 24-bit 96 kHz FLAC coded files through to my Denon X3700H receiver. The TV app says the receiver can only accept up to 16-bit 44.1Hz and duly down converts the file I'm playing.

I know the receiver can play these music files, which it does using the Amazon Music app within HEOS in the receiver. I'm using eARC on HDMI 3 for the TV to Receiver connection.

What is displayed on the TV Amazon Music app is:-
Track Quality: 24-bit / 96 kHz
Device Capability: 16-bit / 48 kHz
Currently Playing at: 16-bit / 48kHz

Anyone know if this is a known issue within the app on the TV or should I be looking elsewhere?

Last edited:
When I switch the tv ‘on my soundbar comes on few seconds after!? How can I stop this because I only use the soundbar for movies!!

Have it on 49
thank you. It’s great handling deep blacks watching Amazon or Netflix but not my Panasonic uhd blue-ray player (which is no slouch) The picture is amazing with crisp colourful colours but my blacks are not like my LG C7 was even though the Sony overall picture is a lot better!!?🤷‍♂️ Just wondered whether it’s because I’m watching a much larger screen?

VRR?

:rotfl::rotfl:

I have a 65 A80J being delivered next week. I have a stand requiring the narrow leg setting. I would like to elevate the screen similar to the position for the sound bar. Can I do that using the legs in the narrow position or do I have to use the low setting?

Also, are there any recommendations for center stands that allow swivel? I know the TV is VESA compatible, I believe 300x300. There are a number of reasonably priced stands on Amazon for 40-70 dollars. Are there reasons to get one vs another?

I was going to get the X90J but my salesman was a huge gamer (like me) and convinced me the A80 was worth the extra dollars.

Has anyone watched Loki? I'm just watching the first episode and the picture looks horrible, not 4k. Not sure if it's Disney and there weird Dolby vision like the mandalorian as that was bad but it looks poor.

Okay so I finally got my Sony 77inch A80. I used to own a 75inch Sony 8500 series.

Some brief feedback:

BadStuff:

- Sony can get f%&ked for not including a gigabit ethernet port. Some of my streams are well beyond what 100mbit can deliver. SteamLink also works better with gigabit ethernet, not Wifi.

- Certain things do stupid shit - Tried to open youtube when I first turned it on and it hung for ages because the wifi didn't connect straight away. Then it wouldn't connect at all and I had to wait about 3-4 minutes for it to do anything and then reboot the TV.

- GoogleTV sucks. I miss the android TV interface. GoogleTV pushing everything into your face is abnoxious. I have to click down about 4 times past all the banners and pretty much ads to get to my apps. I don't care what google recommends, I will chose something myself with my own free will. The Android interface was so much better and more simplistic.

- If you use "App only Mode" then these weird quirky things happen like youtube won't sign in sometimes etc. Works sometimes

- Dolby Digital+ still doesn't work with Emby. The sound cuts in and out.

- Remote is a bit big, excess buttons and the buttons feel a bit weird.

Good Stuff:

- The picture is amazing. The blacks are actually real and gives you a better representation of dark scenes.

- It's light, easy to mount

- You can turn off the front LED indicator still.

- It uses less power. about 10-20watts less than the Sony 75inch 8500 series

- When I connected it and switched it on for the first time, all the ARC stuff worked out of the box. My amp switched on, the volume adjustment on the amp was working with the remote buttons - it all just worked.

- The GoogleTV interface is fairly smooth and doesn't stutter when moving through the menus. (The 8500 series was slow and really horrible to use with the last 12 months of updates)

Hope some of this info helps. I'm an IT guy who is pretty picky but then again if you are going to release some software to the masses, then you should test the damn code to make sure you aren't pushing out garbge to everyone that owns the device.

I will say though, if it keeps doing the thing where it has no network for 2-3-4 minutes after turning it on, I'll be returning it straight away. That is unacceptable.

Last edited:
Are there any TV’s with a gigabit ethernet port? I’ve never heard of one.

Well I’m really happy with this tv after a week . The black picture quality is really good after I moaned about it!🤷‍♂️ It’s really down to the quality of picture your feeding the tv.

Attachments

• 7D022534-613C-45B6-8674-9B3410921AE7.jpeg
    7D022534-613C-45B6-8674-9B3410921AE7.jpeg
    121.4 KB · Views: 148
Are there any TV’s with a gigabit ethernet port? I’ve never heard of one.
These TVs are $8500 here in AU. A TV with that much cost, you would think Sony would have updated some things. They're just cheaping out which sucks and makes me want to buy something else.

The only reason I didn't buy a LG is because I dislike their WebOS, it's terrible.

These TVs are $8500 here in AU. A TV with that much cost, you would think Sony would have updated some things. They're just cheaping out which sucks and makes me want to buy something else.

The only reason I didn't buy a LG is because I dislike their WebOS, it's terrible.
But as far as I am aware, LGs do not have gigabit ports either.

Anyone used askdirect.co.uk? I want the a84j for its hands free mic/google assistant, currys are the only other stockists but they're out of stock at the moment.

Also, anyone aware of any upcoming promotions? I've missed the free PSN voucher and £100 promos.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom