Sony A80/84J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Bought mine last week, what do you think the chances of getting £200 refund from Sony Centre as I am still within my return period.

Spoke to Sony Centre and they just processed a £200 refund for me.

I have read iPlayer can be side loaded, I personally have it loaded into Kodi, which has eliminated the stuttering issue, but no UHD. They have to sort it sooner than later to avoid too many unhappy customers, potential loss of new sales? Then again, UK is a small customer base on the grand/global scale and they can probably afford to drag it?
The £200 off is blatantly to compete directly with the C1 as they're the same price now, does that have iPlayer?

Sevenoaks have voucher codes available on these until 29 June 2021

Sony XR-55A80J - £1699 - £100 with GDSAVE100 = £1599​

Sony XR-65A80J - £2499 - £150 with GDSAVE150 = £2349​

Sony XR-77A80J - £3999 - £200 with GDSAVE200 = £3799​

This may help people haggling for price matches with other retailers or buying direct.
I'm seriously tempted with the Sony XR-65A80J for some Euro2020 action.
I've currently got a 2014 55 inch Sony 4K X8505B TV so it would be a good upgrade for me.

As an 77A80J owner, I made an official complaint about UK catchup apps (iPlayer etc) missing, unfortunately no lead time on implementation..

Thank you for contacting Sony support.
In reference to your enquiry about your Sony XR-77A80J, We're sorry you're disappointed by the absence of the BBC app catch up TV apps.
We hope you can understand that this is a temporary situation, but one that is currently beyond our control and
very much in the hands of 3rd party service providers.
Remember, your TV is ready for these applications once the situation moves forward.
...snip
Does this mean that the BBC write the app for the TV or they are waiting for ..... what.

Sorry for the dumb question but I'm new to these smart TVs, still using my 2007 Panasonic plasma and this TV looks like a good candidate for replacing it.

Does this mean that the BBC write the app for the TV or they are waiting for ..... what.

Sorry for the dumb question but I'm new to these smart TVs, still using my 2007 Panasonic plasma and this TV looks like a good candidate for replacing it.
Thats a good question, I'm sure someone more in the know will shed some light on your question..

I've too come from a 42" Panny Plasma, unfortunately they're not doing a 77 OLED so jumped at the 77A80J.

just went to RS to have a look they only had the 55 but i couldnt see any issues at all with this matte screen coating. With both on Cinema and as best i could matched the various video settings between the A80J & LG C1 i definately preferred the Sont, the colours looked more real.

Must resist ordering until they hit about £2000...

Hi, is anyone using Freesat on their A80J ?
I know that there are issues with iPlayer not being available on launch.

I'm just wanting to check that Freesat works correctly out of the box with the correct UK channel layout and EPG available for recording.

Have one question, after a massive mistake from shop I will receive the Sony A80j and not the A84j. If I want the A84j I will have to pay 350€ more and wait at least 4 more weeks possible even more. Is the "Enhanced Rich Color Feature" worth the difference in price?

Have one question, after a massive mistake from shop I will receive the Sony A80j and not the A84j. If I want the A84j I will have to pay 350€ more and wait at least 4 more weeks possible even more. Is the "Enhanced Rich Color Feature" worth the difference in price?
This additional "feature" thus far is a mystery in that its not listed in the menu system that can be enabled/disabled, and no one has been able to report any picture difference between A80/A84. Some believe it to be a marketing spin and nothing more.

another difference is the A80J has no built in microphone

sony.JPG

So is it right that in theory we may never get iPlayer?
I think that's extremely unlikely (and I wouldn't be buying one if I though it might be true). This will just be a licencing cock up by someone - LG did the same last year and it got resolved.

Annoyed again. I've run out of memory on my 77A84. Can't run KODI app with the app data on the TV so I've had to transfer it to USB memory. It's now noticeably much slower doing various tasks in KODI due to accessing via USB2 speeds.

I can't use the USB3 port as it's being used for accessing my Gigabit network. May have to switch these 2 and try that.

Why on earth did Sony reduce the amount of memory (my 5 year old Sony had far more memory than this set) and only have 1 USB 3 port and no Gb network? Also the HDD USB port is also this one, so recording from the Digital tuner also has to use the same single USB 3 port.

Gripe over.

Are there issues with ABL and this TV? Anyone watching the euros seen the screen dim during the game? 😕

I haven't seen any obvious Abl at work, not on footy or f1 or anything

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom