Sony A80/84J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

I could not wait, so went to order 55' A80J and was offered a special deal on the 55' A84J at 1899€ (instead of the common 2240€). This is to upgrade my 10 years old 37‘ LG LCD I hoping to be blown away by the image quality.

Hope you guys can help me. Yesterday I was watching the euro's (1080i) broadcast. The picture was beautiful but I noticed some of the field lines on the far side started shaking/wobling. Thought it was sharping artifacts so turned it down to zero. Same for reality creation/film mode but still the lines keep shaking. Anyone know how to fix it?

Back on the telly front I'm no expert but had a few days with my 77 inch and it is pretty stunning and that's coming from a really good lcd the blacks and no blooming really do stand out if you're divering about buying one of these or probably other oleds and coming from lcd don't hesitate go for it 😀

Hello jmac do you think it's worth getting a calibration
I have never had a tv calibrated :laugh: :blush::blush:
But.. I bought a x-rite i1 display pro plus camera and calman home software and will do a diy home calibration on my 77 once it's done a couple of hundred hours :)

77 A84 being delivered tomorrow from Sony Centre Direct so let's hope its in better shape than rhe one Curry's delivered a few weeks back
:clap:

Football is available in 4K via iPlayer
I couldn't find a way to get the football onto my 77" A80j in 4K.
Iplayer isn't an app available on the TV and my other source is Sky Q which also doesn't have it.
Have I missed something really obvious here in failing to get the Euros onto my nice new shiny(!) TV in 4K?

The iplayer app only offers 4k in beta version so most versions won't offer it anyway.
As a beta version you can't always get access to the 4k version, sometimes if it's a really popular event and loads of people already watching in 4k you can find that the app hangs when trying to swap across to the 4k stream.
I think the above is correct as sometimes I can get the uhd version and sometimes I can't but hey ho. Obviously the 2021 sony range aren't carrying the catch up apps anyway so you would need another device registered for the beta version

Just got a HDD for the TV. I figured it would be possible to then pause/rewind TV at that point like I could on my old YouView box. Doesn't seem to work, I've read that it isn't possible but thought I'd check here just in case. Would be a real shame if pause/rewind isn't built in.

Hello everyone. I just bought a Sony A80J and I’m not sure if I received a defective unit. I’m having persistent image retention issues whenever I leave the same screen on for about a minute or so. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this common? Should I be concerned?

Hello everyone. I just bought a Sony A80J and I’m not sure if I received a defective unit. I’m having persistent image retention issues whenever I leave the same screen on for about a minute or so. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this common? Should I be concerned?

This has been reportedly widely by many YouTubers but they say its almost impossible to notice from regular viewing distance and goes away in 10 seconds.

Set my 77 up last night.
First impressions are
The 77 doesn't feel as big as I expected coming from a 65, maybe should have considered the 83 !
User interface is slick and easy apart from the Sony application of the euro power warning such a pain but probably won't bother me in a couple of months once I got everything dialled in.
4k hdr pq is sublime, very good indeed.
Motion I'm almost there with so that should be great with a little more tinkering.
In a fairly bright room the brightness is absolutely fine.
I'm.struggling with colours at the moment, I've spent a lot of time tinkering. It's seems heavy on the blue and light on red but confident I will get there. Tried Rtings settings and they were way off for my set.
The worst aspect of the TV is.

The bloody glossy screen, it's like a mirror and far far worse than the zd9 led screen it's replacing. I mean very reflective, would the semi matte versions be better ? I don't know.
I'm.sure I will get more used to it but why anyone would think an oled is great because of the glossy screen is frankly unfathomable to me.
So far very pleased but dialling it in is going to be a challenge as the ootb settings were certainly not acceptable to my eyes. The good news though is that it has a huge array of tweak ability so I will get it sorted. I reckon I'm about 85% there so far.

Set my 77 up last night.
First impressions are
The 77 doesn't feel as big as I expected coming from a 65, maybe should have considered the 83 !
User interface is slick and easy apart from the Sony application of the euro power warning such a pain but probably won't bother me in a couple of months once I got everything dialled in.
4k hdr pq is sublime, very good indeed.
Motion I'm almost there with so that should be great with a little more tinkering.
In a fairly bright room the brightness is absolutely fine.
I'm.struggling with colours at the moment, I've spent a lot of time tinkering. It's seems heavy on the blue and light on red but confident I will get there. Tried Rtings settings and they were way off for my set.
The worst aspect of the TV is.

The bloody glossy screen, it's like a mirror and far far worse than the zd9 led screen it's replacing. I mean very reflective, would the semi matte versions be better ? I don't know.
I'm.sure I will get more used to it but why anyone would think an oled is great because of the glossy screen is frankly unfathomable to me.
So far very pleased but dialling it in is going to be a challenge as the ootb settings were certainly not acceptable to my eyes. The good news though is that it has a huge array of tweak ability so I will get it sorted. I reckon I'm about 85% there so far.

Are you craving for that added brightness that your ZD9 offered?

Are you craving for that added brightness that your ZD9 offered?
Not really, its certainly bright enough so far (i should imagine a full white field wont get me squinting like the zed would though, but certainly not an issue- this was my biggest worry and now i have put it to bed :)) but the whites are much more blue and not proper white. How much of that i can dial out remains to be seen.
I should have added earlier that having run some basic grey scale slides, dse tests and so forth, this screen is genuinely one of the best i have EVER seen for uniformity. Better than my Zed for sure. I cant see any magenta tint, no bands, no grids and perfect uniform colours on the various colour slides. lovely greys at all % levels and totally even across the entire screen, edge to edge. Thats quite some achievement on a screen of this size (77)
I may have got REALLY lucky there and perhaps thats a pay back from the first A80 arriving with a smashed screen!!!
I recall messing around with the settings on the zed for about 3 months before i was totally happy and it looks like i will have to do the same again with this A84. I dont mind too much as once you get them sorted you dont touch them again for years but for me OOTB was rubbish and some of that perception may be because i was coming from a backlight master drive screen to an oled screen so a certain amount of change is going to occur whether i like it or not.
I am very confident i will get it to exactly where i want it and so far some of the imaging is superb.
Just watched some Sky F1 in UHD and its stunning even if the colour isnt quite sorted yet.
Still messing with motion on the apps especially YouTube......not quite there with that yet either :thumbsdow
But happy days and quite impressed

Not really, its certainly bright enough so far (i should imagine a full white field wont get me squinting like the zed would though, but certainly not an issue- this was my biggest worry and now i have put it to bed :)) but the whites are much more blue and not proper white. How much of that i can dial out remains to be seen.
I should have added earlier that having run some basic grey scale slides, dse tests and so forth, this screen is genuinely one of the best i have EVER seen for uniformity. Better than my Zed for sure. I cant see any magenta tint, no bands, no grids and perfect uniform colours on the various colour slides. lovely greys at all % levels and totally even across the entire screen, edge to edge. Thats quite some achievement on a screen of this size (77)
I may have got REALLY lucky there and perhaps thats a pay back from the first A80 arriving with a smashed screen!!!
I recall messing around with the settings on the zed for about 3 months before i was totally happy and it looks like i will have to do the same again with this A84. I dont mind too much as once you get them sorted you dont touch them again for years but for me OOTB was rubbish and some of that perception may be because i was coming from a backlight master drive screen to an oled screen so a certain amount of change is going to occur whether i like it or not.
I am very confident i will get it to exactly where i want it and so far some of the imaging is superb.
Just watched some Sky F1 in UHD and its stunning even if the colour isnt quite sorted yet.
Still messing with motion on the apps especially YouTube......not quite there with that yet either :thumbsdow
But happy days and quite impressed

Thanks for the detailed reply. I have a preference for Panny but as they don't 77, 77A80J is right there at the top of my list. Got another 30-45 days to decide.

Wondering if the YouTube HDR issue has been resolved?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom