Sony A80/84J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Can't see much difference to be honest....probably my eyes lol

Actually 1080i is probably slightly better now I've looked away for a bit

Edit: I'm such a div - got iplayer on BT box so could have watched it in UHD lol

Last edited:
I'm playing with this today 😃
16234832404511398061518516285463.jpg

I can confirm that S-CENTRE speaker mode does not work.
I used an impedance matcher to convert the speaker level signal from the centre speaker terminal of my AV amp to a line level signal.
I then used an AV cable (the ones that have a three connection 3.5mm plug at one end and phono plugs at the other for left audio, right audio and composite video).
I can confirm there is an audio signal coming out of the converter by listening with headphones but no matter which input I feed it into in the TV's S-CENTER socket no sound comes out of the TV screen. I have turned on the setting to enable centre channel mode.
After that I wondered if it was actually a digital optical signal that the TV expects from that socket so I tried one and it still doesn't work.
So it doesn't work with a line level audio signal and it doesn't work with a digital optical signal.
I'm stumped.
Thanks for reporting the test results! I've been eyeing the A80j and I'm also interested in the option to use the TV as a center speaker.

I guess there's still the possibility that tge interface is a digital electric one? Maybe one that uses a custom format.

Or, since the audio products it's supposed to work with are not yet available either, maybe it'll take the TV another firmware update to fully support the functionality.

Watching The Queen's Birthday Parade - Looks soooo good on my 77A84 :)

I've set RC to auto for Sky as someone suggested. My wife even noticed how much better it is.

Last edited:
How do you get the IPlayer loaded? Did the downloaded bit, then typed in address, and got some message about write permissions. Was then stumped, so unloaded app for now. My 65” arrived, I set it up and went abroad for 2 weeks for work, back now, so looking at getting it all sorted

so i looking for a new TV, im basically set on OLED moving from an 65XF9005, i cant go 77 as i dont have the space so it has to be 65 inch.

Been through most of this thread now and am a little concerned. I was almost set on an A8 it being significanly lower in price but newer & better panel in the A80J i could wait a bit & save a bit but this matte screen thing seems a little off, why would they do this, Is it known if this is all the 65s or just an initial batch ect?

Going upto an A90J isnt really an option at £3500 is way above my initial £1500 budget, which got pushed for an A8 and blown away by an A80J

im not really sure, ill be hoping to demo but ive never had oled before only lcd so wouldnt really know, it jut seems to concern a few peole which has concerned me

I really want an OLED, i basically watch most my films and streaming in a dark room or dim lit room, never day.

I want to see what the oled can do, and im trying to justify to myself that the extra £whatever it will be when i buy for the 80 over the A8 will be worth it. its hard but i think i can get there. Was sort of hoping for a stuff it and buy now discount for the start of Euros but alas it hasnt appeard yet.

Just wish i could go 77 but id walk into it one side and loose the entire left side behind the chimney.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom