Sony A80/84J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

15 mins away.....:clap:

Here...and sitting in hall until after work :(

Last edited:
We need pics

Currys out of stock again

It's amazing....will post pictures later but first impressions are wow! I have set it up for a sound bar....not sure if I need one currently will have to play some more
£50 Google voucher came straight away too

It's amazing....will post pictures later but first impressions are wow! I have set it up for a sound bar....not sure if I need one currently will have to play some more
£50 Google voucher came straight away too
Excellent. Enjoy. :thumbsup:

I'm still waiting for my vouchers. Been onto Sony again this morning. It's now been risen to yet another level. How many levels have they got? :(

Excellent. Enjoy. :thumbsup:

I'm still waiting for my vouchers. Been onto Sony again this morning. It's now been risen to yet another level. How many levels have they got? :(

Did you not get the option to do it via a notification on screen? That's what I did and the email came straight away.

What to spend it on State of Survival or films...

Ok....quick Q....what's best to plug in where?

I have everything plugged in and all seems ok but want to ensure I'm getting the best picture etc....

BT HD box currently HDMI 1
NVidia Pro....HDMI 2 (mostly to watch stuff from my NAS)
PS4(soon to be 5) HDMI 3

I also have a Switch, but may that upstairs and get a soundbar....which will go into HDMI 4 currently.

Is this the best set up? I think the HDMI2.1 ports are 3 &4?

First impressions (77A83j):

-pretty easy to install the feet. No need to lay flat. Just raise sides, insert feet. Special attention needed when removing the box. TV seems to be top heavy. Wifey hates TV swapes due to heavy lifting. This unit despite the size was easier to move/lift than I thought.
-with the google home app on my phone the set up was pretty easy and quick.
- still need to get used to the Google TV android interface… (atm I miss Android TV, but that might change)
-no tint at all. None.
-uniformity: only 4 hours on the TV, so no compensation cycles yet. It is no GZ2000 for sure, I did check slides. BUT in some of usual torture scenes it is almost perfect. At 1-2% the sides are bit darker, but no bands above. Very promising for sure.
-near black handling. Looks to be the same as my GZ2000. My previous Sony oled (AF9) was way worse.
-OOTB accuracy (custom, expert 1) looks to be spot on. But as usual it is using the sony judd white point, so it is a bit bluer, compared to my other units that are calibrated.
-did not check the HDR grid issue yet. Will report back on that later.

So far this Sony TV imo is the smart choice this year, specialy in the 77” size.

Don’t know If I won the panel lottery or they did indeed improve on uniformity, so
looking forward to other - hopefuly - positive feedback from fellow new owners.

Attachments

• B11C0ED9-3055-48D8-9033-18999F66E297.jpeg
    B11C0ED9-3055-48D8-9033-18999F66E297.jpeg
    383.8 KB · Views: 143
Did you not get the option to do it via a notification on screen? That's what I did and the email came straight away.

What to spend it on State of Survival or films...
Yep, did it that way. Had an email back saying registration was successful - then nothing.

I've since cleared the app cache and data and re-registered the TV with a gmail account. Again had notification saying the registration was successful. The app then disappeared off the screen. I was hopeful that this was it, but again nothing to either of my email addresses or in the spam.

Sony say they are dealing with it and that there are many people with this issue. It's all been forwarded to the right department and they are working on it. Well we'll see.

Yep, did it that way. Had an email back saying registration was successful - then nothing.

I've since cleared the app cache and data and re-registered the TV with a gmail account. Again had notification saying the registration was successful. The app then disappeared off the screen. I was hopeful that this was it, but again nothing to either of my email addresses or in the spam.

Sony say they are dealing with it and that there are many people with this issue. It's all been forwarded to the right department and they are working on it. Well we'll see.

Hmmm I got a code, which I then just pasted into my Google account....

Question for the owners:

- Can someone tell me if the legs can be easily removed once installed?

This as I plan to apply bias backlight to the back of the TV when the TV is on its legs. Once done with the backlight I will remove the legs and wall mount the TV.
Nope, get a firm grip, and then jiggle it a bit. It's quite tight and secure, but it can be removed.
1621266290445.png

Nope, get a firm grip, and then jiggle it a bit. It's quite tight and secure, but it can be removed.
Thanks.

I wanted to use the legs as I understand (and also mentioned in the manual) that you may not lay the TV flat.

But I see you did it. What did you use to lay the tv on. And is there no risk in damaging the TV that way?

First impressions (77A83j): 77A83J => Now what's this please? Does this have poor colour de-enhancer? :laugh:

It’s arrived

Attachments

• 2E6D3170-1D1E-4570-8E4E-12D37BC88CAA.jpeg
    2E6D3170-1D1E-4570-8E4E-12D37BC88CAA.jpeg
    266.9 KB · Views: 133
Thanks.

I wanted to use the legs as I understand (and also mentioned in the manual) that you may not lay the TV flat.

But I see you did it. What did you use to lay the tv on. And is there no risk in damaging the TV that way?
Just the packing box and the packing soft foam wrapper .. no dramas.. the screen doesn’t sit on the box. Just hold the screen still
you can try laying it on something softer but softer materials may actually touch the screen ..

I usually take tv's straight out of the box and sit them on my couch with screen cover still on and screen resting against the back of the couch.. and then fix on my wall brackets. :thumbsup:

I usually take tv's straight out of the box and sit them on my couch with screen cover still on and screen resting against the back of the couch.. and then fix on my wall brackets. :thumbsup:
That's what I did....I keep the covers on and laid it on the couch to put the feet on and the power cable...and then hefted it onto the stand

Luckily I only had a portable or I may have had to get a man in to help :)

Will this also work when I have to apply the bias backlights? It will be applied on all 4 sides about 2 inches away of the edge of the backpanel.

Will this also work when I have to apply the bias backlights? It will be applied on all 4 sides about 2 inches away of the edge of the backpanel.
yep, the back of the tv will be facing you, ready for whatever you like doing to the backend of things :blush:

Ok....quick Q....what's best to plug in where?

I have everything plugged in and all seems ok but want to ensure I'm getting the best picture etc....

NVidia Pro....HDMI 2 (mostly to watch stuff from my NAS)
I'm interested what you need the Nvidia Pro for that the TV can't deal with directly? Not a criticism I'd just like to know how the TV performs using its own SOC rather than an external box. I've found it to work very well indeed and the SOC seems plenty powerful enough to deal with most tasks.
Kodi runs great and there is the built in media player too, both can play content from a NAS.
Having said all that, I am using a Nvidia Shield for the catch-up TV apps and it works pretty damn spot on - feeds a 4K signal via HDMI and the Sony remote transfers all commands down the HDMI cable.

I'm interested what you need the Nvidia Pro for that the TV can't deal with directly? Not a criticism I'd just like to know how the TV performs using its own SOC rather than an external box. I've found it to work very well indeed and the SOC seems plenty powerful enough to deal with most tasks.
Kodi runs great and there is the built in media player too, both can play content from a NAS.
Having said all that, I am using a Nvidia Shield for the catch-up TV apps and it works pretty damn spot on - feeds a 4K signal via HDMI and the Sony remote transfers all commands down the HDMI cable.
The only thing I can think of is maybe for frame rate matching in apps?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom