Sony A80/84J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

So I have received my text with my delivery slot for tomorrow......5pm to 8pm!
Not impressed but it is what it is so unlikely to get the 77 inch beauty set up until Tuesday.

Quick question which two are the HDMI 2.1 inputs so I can label up my PS5 and Series X cables in readiness.

I will have a good read of this thread for settings etc.

Any suggestions or thoughts on the initial set up will be much appreciated.

Tbf I paid £4k for my 77A80J and I don't regret it one bit, even if it's a few hundred quid off in a few weeks time and a £1k off come black Friday I'm still very happy with my purchase and think it's well worth the money. I could've sat around vacillating over potential price drops but in the end I decided life's too short for that and I'd rather have the TV in my living room and enjoy it as soon as possible. Plus £230 a month on JL 0% finance wasn't too much to stomach in the end.

Tbf I paid £4k for my 77A80J and I don't regret it one bit, even if it's a few hundred quid off in a few weeks time and a £1k off come black Friday I'm still very happy with my purchase and think it's well worth the money. I could've sat around vacillating over potential price drops but in the end I decided life's too short for that and I'd rather have the TV in my living room and enjoy it as soon as possible. Plus £230 a month on JL 0% finance wasn't too much to stomach in the end.
I decided to hold off for the inevitable price drops and not pay early adopters tax , life is too short as you say but I'm sure i'll cope with a month or two and a heap of money to spend elsewhere.

So I have received my text with my delivery slot for tomorrow......5pm to 8pm!
Not impressed but it is what it is so unlikely to get the 77 inch beauty set up until Tuesday.

Quick question which two are the HDMI 2.1 inputs so I can label up my PS5 and Series X cables in readiness.

I will have a good read of this thread for settings etc.

Any suggestions or thoughts on the initial set up will be much appreciated.
HDMI 3 and 4. For initial settings I would recommend putting it in custom mode, expert white balance, leave brightness at max and peak brightness at high, knock contrast down to 90, smooth gradation on low. Motion settings are personal preference but min/min for HDR and min/1 for SDR are generally recommended for good motion without SOE. Reality creation I generally leave on auto but will turn it off on content with a lot of film grain as it can cause it to look too grainy. Live colour I generally leave off but sometimes set to low if you want a small boost to colour saturation or more life like skin tones.

Got confirmation that my 77A80J will arrive next week.

As I am mostly working from home atm I was thinking of giving the TV some extra playing hours during the day by displaying videos from the HDR Channel on YouTube that I can also look at now and then ;) Good idea?

Back to pricing, forgive me owners, but from reviews etc, I am of the opinion that LG C1 is the winner in gaming, and as of now I do not game ..so
The A80J is the winner in PQ with more depth/detail better near blacks, HDR better specular brightness, so movies/ streaming to the A80J .

Stating the obvious but the C1 and the A80J are going to track one another, as far as pricing, a drop in one will result in a drop in the other.. we tightwads just have to hope that the LG C1 does indeed drop and big style, whereas the Sony will stay put for a good while unless the fear of losing sales to LG will then make Sony act.

That use to be me, not anymore, I have done a 360-degree turn and will wait it out.

Back to pricing, forgive me owners, but from reviews etc, I am of the opinion that LG C1 is the winner in gaming, and as of now I do not game ..so
The A80J is the winner in PQ with more depth/detail better near blacks, HDR better specular brightness, so movies/ streaming to the A80J .

Stating the obvious but the C1 and the A80J are going to track one another, as far as pricing, a drop in one will result in a drop in the other.. we tightwads just have to hope that the LG C1 does indeed drop and big style, whereas the Sony will stay put for a good while unless the fear of losing sales to LG will then make Sony act.
The C1 is already being aggressively marketed ,look at Currys ,you can get 5% cash back from Quidco,£150 Xbox store voucher ,the free headphones that most retailers are doing and 12mnths 0% apr finance etc .
Very are doing 20% cash back if you use their finance (only 1 year warranty ) .
You can get 10% off at source if buying direct from LG .
Yet Sony are not budging …

Very interesting that the 77-incher has come out of the gate at $3499 in the US. What the price might drop to come Black Friday or even March/April next year when they start clearing out for the a80k we can only hope. But is there a chance that this TV could drop to the price of the 65-inch a80j by the time the a80k is here? And what price might the 77-inch a80k come out of the gate at? And by then will Sony have VRR etc. sorted? Different HDMI chipset?

Very interesting that the 77-incher has come out of the gate at $3499 in the US. What the price might drop to come Black Friday or even March/April next year when they start clearing out for the a80k we can only hope. But is there a chance that this TV could drop to the price of the 65-inch a80j by the time the a80k is here? And what price might the 77-inch a80k come out of the gate at? And by then will Sony have VRR etc. sorted? Different HDMI chipset?
The problem is prices in the UK are not in any way swayed by what units cost in the US, the A80J could come free with a packet of Kellogs Cornflakes there yet still cost around the 4000£ mark here (77 inch). :(

Thankfully not a gamer, LG is a big no-go for me as a movie watcher.

The C1 is already being aggressively marketed ,look at Currys ,you can get 5% cash back from Quidco,£150 Xbox store voucher ,the free headphones that most retailers are doing and 12mnths 0% apr finance etc .
Very are doing 20% cash back if you use their finance (only 1 year warranty ) .
You can get 10% off at source if buying direct from LG .
Yet Sony are not budging …
Yep , i am talking the LG C1 77 Inch circa £3200 straight cash and 5 year warranty , the A80J would have to match USA esq .. or the advantages in quality the Sony has will mean zip.

Just went to JL Kingston and just found a 55 a90j...
Had a very quick demo to check sound and picture via 4k and YouTube...
Tv was on cinema and also vivid...
I noticed nothing on the panel in term of reflection. Picture to die for with very strong details and colors. Sound was average on a 55. Hopefully should be better in the 65 in term of separation and scale...
Will keep hunting for an a80j but looks like a very solid and rounded tv for sure. I really like what Sony is bringing to the market this year... finally coming together...

French review. Seems alright except when they Say Sony was behind on motion before !!!?? Hmmmm
Conclusion: top Oled at many levels.
I will try to find the a90j review

French review. Seems alright except when they Say Sony was behind on motion before !!!?? Hmmmm
Conclusion: top Oled at many levels.
I will try to find the a90j review
Well sony has always been the motion king imo :smoke:
Lot's of people saying the c1 / g1 has caught up this year with motion.. but some said the same last year :suicide:

Im looking at pulling the trigger on either an A80j or C1/G1
Was leaning towards the Sony as really only watch movies, little bit of gaming now and then, but look at other reviews between the LG and the Sony

It seems some reviews contradict each other regarding motion and judder

Seen this review yesterday,

Really does slate the Sony regarding motion

I've not had time to go and look for myself
But if its smoother than my Panasonic fz802 I'll be happy

So after a weekend of actually watching some content on the 65" A80J, my thoughts.

The picture is fantastic. Trying some of the HDR 4K reels from YouTube and a stream of Blade Runner 2049 with the IMAX enhanced settings from the free year on the Bravia Core service really does deliver a wow factor. I'd commented on the reflection and left a shot in an earlier post, but can assure you once the screen is on you don't notice it at all, in fact it may be better than my previous model. It just looks more reflective when it's off if that makes sense.

Settings for Apps and Sky Q,
Picture mode: Custom
Brightness Max, Contrast 90, Black level 50, Gamma 0
Peak Luminance High
Colour Expert 1
Colour space Auto
Motionflow smoothness 1, clearness min, Cinemotion High
HDR Tone Mapping to 'Gradation Preferred'

Settings for PS5
Picture mode: Game
...that's it.

Navigation of the Google TV menus and within the apps feels very snappy and responsive. The newer processor gives a huge improvement over my 5 year old Sony Android TV.

I use eARC to a Sony amp so can't comment on the TV's own sound. The audio-passthrough works as it should delivering DTS from apps. The only thing that tripped me up at first was I had to disable sound mode sync in the TV audio output to keep the amp on your choice.

PS5 gaming is smooth, excellent HDR and fast response times. Well, good enough for my ageing COD skills anyway. The experience can only improve when the variable refresh rate firmware drops later in the year.

Very pleased with the purchase.

Last edited:
Im looking at pulling the trigger on either an A80j or C1/G1
Was leaning towards the Sony as really only watch movies, little bit of gaming now and then, but look at other reviews between the LG and the Sony

It seems some reviews contradict each other regarding motion and judder

Seen this review yesterday,

Really does slate the Sony regarding motion

I've not had time to go and look for myself
But if its smoother than my Panasonic fz802 I'll be happy

Post in thread 'Sony A80/84J OLED Owners and Discussion Thread' Sony A80/84J OLED Owners and Discussion Thread

Be careful which reviews to trust, this guy is very bias and will give you the bum steer..

Tonight's film was Tenet. Looked excellent on the TV, just don't ask me any questions about what happened in the film. o_O😲

May have to watch it again!

What? You say Quantum is a biased person? He is funny and objective :D
I should add its one persons opinion that everyone is entitled to...
Call The Midwife Opinion GIF by PBS

Question for the owners:

- Can someone tell me if the legs can be easily removed once installed?

This as I plan to apply bias backlight to the back of the TV when the TV is on its legs. Once done with the backlight I will remove the legs and wall mount the TV.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom