Sony A80/84J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Hmm that wouldn't be the one you got for 45 euro would it! :rolleyes:
yeah the offer of 45 euro was accepted..
but as @SimonST alerted me after it added UK vat because brexit..
never even noticed as I'm so rich..

So was just over £56.. few pound for postage... £60..
may drop to 56 for certain friends :smoke: but may not..

Screenshot 2021-05-14 at 17.36.55.png

Can anyone shed any light on this connector on the left side and what it's for please?
"S-CENTER SPEAKER IN"
Screenshot 2021-05-14 17.40.17.png

The online manual says this but I'm struggling to understand how this differs from the centre speaker input option on the A90J.
Screenshot 2021-05-14 17.39.15.png

Surprised that you're thinkin of upgrading so soon after landing a bargain on your FZ OLED.
Wonder, if motion a problem on your set, know OS is not that good. Or you're increasing in size, the main driver to upgrade.
Nope. I am in love with my Oled literally. Main driver is size and also a better sound but not in a hurry at all. Next tv has to be a step ahead...in many ways...

He's only just starting to think about it, we all know goldy, it will take him years to actually do it :D :love:
Cheeky monkey :p...my plan is and always has been 2023...not doing same mistake twice...
A90j is interesting and will look into it. 65 is main driver, superior processing and OS plus sound. Brightness needs to be much better overall.

Can anyone shed any light on this connector on the left side and what it's for please?
"S-CENTER SPEAKER IN"
View attachment 1511633

The online manual says this but I'm struggling to understand how this differs from the centre speaker input option on the A90J.
View attachment 1511635
This is one of life's little mysteries.
A90j has normal speaker posts for wiring to your avr. This a80j does not and nobody so far has worked out how you can possibly use it as a centre speaker as no such connector type exists for this role.
On AVS in states many have tried and failed to connect it to an avr as a centre speaker.
A believe a few have written to sony for help and haven't gotten anywhere so your guess is as good as anybody else's at this stage.
The above of course is just my understanding from casually reading various posts on the subject and maybe someone has now found a solution??

A massive 5% Quidco on certain Tvs at Currys young James ,the 77C1 included

I get permanent 7% at Currys through my employer portal. Can help with the eVoucher if anyone is interested. Note that if you use eVoucher, the transaction won't qualify for TCB/Quidco.

I get permanent 7% at Currys through my employer portal. Can help with the eVoucher if anyone is interested. Note that if you use eVoucher, the transaction won't qualify for TCB/Quidco.
great offer,
What would happen if the tv was returned for refund, would the refund be vouchers?
cheers

great offer,
What would happen if the tv was returned for refund, would the refund be vouchers?
cheers

Currys will return a new voucher by post (like a gift card).

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Very rare sets get returned on here mate ..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................:laugh:

Very good of you mate , if I were looking to buy I,d rather use a guaranteed 7% off , than gamble that cashback pays out

Some advice from A80/84J owners much appreciated. Got the 77 inch today, couriers unboxed it and told me that a protective film was over the full screen. But it looks like there is only a film across the bottom edge (which I have removed) and some stickers stuck on the right hand side of the screen. When trying to remove film from the top edge but looks like it has come away a bit. But it could also be there is no film at all and it is has chipped away at the frame. So just checking with others if there actually is a film over the full screen?

Some advice from A80/84J owners much appreciated. Got the 77 inch today, couriers unboxed it and told me that a protective film was over the full screen. But it looks like there is only a film across the bottom edge (which I have removed) and some stickers stuck on the right hand side of the screen. When trying to remove film from the top edge but looks like it has come away a bit. But it could also be there is no film at all and it is has chipped away at the frame. So just checking with others if there actually is a film over the full screen?
There is no film on the screen :eek:

Just a quick update after owning the TV for a day. I'm not going to comment on the image because that's been done to death already. The OS is very snappy indeed! The GoogleTV interface is a joy to navigate. Kodi is capable of decoding and playing recorded TV with software decoders (h264 .TS files recorded from Freeview HD).
I am very disappointed to see the same issues with playing these files with hardware decoders, but that's a different story.
The sound really is very good indeed and I will probably now only use my surround sound system for movies.
The feet stick forward of the display by 14cms so you can't have the TV right up to the front of your cabinet.
The in-built microphones seem to work well, even across the room, but I turned them off at the switch because I also have a Google smart speaker in the same room. Google assistant seems to be very quick when using the remote controller's mic.
YouView and all catch-up TV services are missing from the TV. I have emailed Currys to ask what's going on and the rep told me to factory reset the TV.
I'll report back with any comments they make.

YouView and all catch-up TV services are missing from the TV. I have emailed Currys to ask what's going on and the rep told me to factory reset the TV.
No Sony tv has free view or catch up apps in 2021, hopefully will come one day, can't believe he told you to reset the tv lol. Well I can believe it actually.

Sevenoaks Sound and Vision currently have a £100 discount code listed against the A80/90 and other models.

Just a quick update after owning the TV for a day. I'm not going to comment on the image because that's been done to death already. The OS is very snappy indeed! The GoogleTV interface is a joy to navigate. Kodi is capable of decoding and playing recorded TV with software decoders (h264 .TS files recorded from Freeview HD).
I am very disappointed to see the same issues with playing these files with hardware decoders, but that's a different story.
The sound really is very good indeed and I will probably now only use my surround sound system for movies.
The feet stick forward of the display by 14cms so you can't have the TV right up to the front of your cabinet.
The in-built microphones seem to work well, even across the room, but I turned them off at the switch because I also have a Google smart speaker in the same room. Google assistant seems to be very quick when using the remote controller's mic.
What issues are you having with your KODI? I have some 4000+ films referenced on my KODI stored on a Qnap NAS box (streaming to TV through a 1 Gb network). The SD and HD material I have (mostly in mkv containers but recorded in h264 or h265) play OK on video and sound using the correct sound codec on this TV. Playing some of my 4K recordings are often not seamless with problems generally on the sound side.

My Denon Hdmi adapter has now been ordered. You can register for a free one from today.

Not that I need it - still awaiting order of PS5 :( - but it was free :thumbsup:

Sevenoaks Sound and Vision currently have a £1000 discount code listed against the A80/90 and other models.
Form an orderly queue.:p

No Sony tv has free view or catch up apps in 2021, hopefully will come one day, can't believe he told you to reset the tv lol. Well I can believe it actually.
Ridiculous really ,when the likes of the AG9 has arguably the best selection of apps of any brand :smoke::smoke::smoke:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom