Sony A80/84J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Not really worth returning if you have a great uniform tv with zero tint just to save a few quid and get a lemon.
totally agree, uniformity above all

But if you do ,I use the tv keeps turning itself on and off all different times,and making a humming noise:rolleyes::eek::eek:.
:laugh: :love:

Still have 23 days to return my A90J, but unless the panel gets more tinty, I will be keeping it:smoke:
:rolleyes:

Be good to see the differences in uniformity between the A90J and A80J
Your fingers are crossed for the a80j being the bandiest tv that ever existed :rolleyes::rotfl::rotfl: My mailbox will explode with abuse from you:laugh::laugh::love:

So 23 days for some glowing reviews of the A80J (especially in 77" non-portable form) to do a swap and pay a bit extra #nobrainer :smoke:

It's installed and running.

It was entertaining putting the feet on the 77" in the narrow position. Recommend you assemble the feet before taking the TV out of the box. My wife wasn't too happy in supporting the TV while I worked out how the feet should be changed to the narrow position. Think she was really scared of dropping it.

The setup is so long winded, got fed up with it half way through and skipped the rest.

Had trouble in getting my Sky Q box connecting through my amp (Denon X3700H) using eARC in 4K even though hdmi was set to enhanced. Eventually it worked but required several resets of Sky box. Quick test to check I was getting UHD, HDR and Atmos seems OK.

Very quick initial impressions are mixed. Only trying OOTB settings ATM. Colours are slightly more vivid than my old 75XD9405 but strangely it is no where near as sharp in upscaling HD content,
Panel uniformity seems pretty good and is certainly better and I'm sure I'll be OK with the brightness.

Need to settle down and watch some programs now as think the Mrs has withdrawal symptoms.

Think I was expecting a huge improvement from my last TV and as yet I don't see it. Mind you it's early days yet and I have probably missed some vital settings.

Last edited:
Na I hope all here get great clean panels :smashin: :smashin:

But...

If you got something like this would be funny:smoke::smoke:

Screenshot_20210507-215914_WhatsApp.jpg

Jeez who invited v8hawkeman ? :rotfl:

Yeah you can get some really bad sets,but people still will keep them though. Always will be a panel lottery, same batch, one set can be terrible and 100% return and the one next to it is a keeper
yeah it's a pain. just hope for the best :thumbsup:

Anyway I will pop over to the A90J thread where I hope all talk of Indian youtube :rolleyes: and moaning about not getting codes to Google play movies have all gone:facepalm:

And good luck to you all in getting a good panel (except highlander):smoke:

Anyway I will pop over to the A90J thread where I hope all talk of Indian youtube :rolleyes: and moaning about not getting codes to Google play movies have all gone:facepalm:

And good luck to you all in getting a good panel (except highlander):smoke:
I'm off to the g1 or c1 thread :rotfl:

Sorry for upsetting people.

I've just cheered myself up by watching some 4K trailers on YouTube. That's so much better.

Yep - 4K HDR is a big improvement on my old set.

I've just cheered myself up by watching some 4K trailers on YouTube. That's so much better.

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Have you turned off all the usual rubbish mate? eco mode etc that dims the screen to save the planet?

Strange you say about it not being sharp for sdr as people are raving about the xr chip doing amazing in this department with the reality creation settings.

It's installed and running.

It was entertaining putting the feet on the 77" in the narrow position. Recommend you assemble the feet before taking the TV out of the box. My wife wasn't too happy in supporting the TV while I worked out how the feet should be changed to the narrow position. Think she was really scared of dropping it.

The setup is so long winded, got fed up with it half way through and skipped the rest.

Had trouble in getting my Sky Q box connecting through my amp (Denon X3700H) using eARC in 4K even though hdmi was set to enhanced. Eventually it worked but required several resets of Sky box. Quick test to check I was getting UHD, HDR and Atmos seems OK.

Very quick initial impressions are mixed. Only trying OOTB settings ATM. Colours are slightly more vivid than my old 75XD9405 but strangely it is no where near as sharp in upscaling HD content,
Panel uniformity seems pretty good and is certainly better and I'm sure I'll be OK with the brightness.

Need to settle down and watch some programs now as think the Mrs has withdrawal symptoms.

Think I was expecting a huge improvement from my last TV and as yet I don't see it. Mind you it's early days yet and I have probably missed some vital settings.
Interesting I have the 75XD9405 at the moment it is 5 years old and the picture IMO is stunning. was thinking of upgrading to this set, but is it worth it?

It's getting better, or I'm getting used to it, or is the medication working? - might be the drink o_O

take some pics :love: :love:

edit: please
Don't worry - It will all come good tomorrow.

Netfix & Disney+ HDR films nice. (I'm into Marvel films - courtesy of our son)

Can't see any tinting or grids - looks clean - I'm not deliberately looking for them though. I tend to find if I see an issue I concentrate on it and it spoils my viewing and keep seeing it. I point them out to my wife and she can't see what I'm talking about. :laugh:

Just sharing some pics, but bear in mind, my camera doesn't do it justice..
Those blacks..

1620458970783.png

1620458919937.png

Mr Clooney never looked more spaced out and sharp... puns intended..

1620459085602.png

Clever stands just click into place
1620458948922.png

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom