Sony A80/84J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

As someone who is coming from a 8 year old Sony 55W905 and in the market for a new TV I have some questions:
  • Are these good readings and if so, why?
  • As I understand nits is a logarithmic scale, meaning 1000 nits is twice as bright as 100 nits.
So as a TV that has a peak brightness of 750 nits becomes twice as bright the peak brightness would become 7500 nits. So, probable not a correct calculation but if a 750 nits TV becomes 20% brighter it should become 750 + (7500-750)*0.2) = 2100 nits?

I just do not see the value in all those nits comparisons. As it looks very marginal. Also if you take into account real life nits figures:
View attachment 1506821
View attachment 1506829

So I guess the only thing that you can do is test a TV with your own eyes and determine if the perceived brightness suits your needs.
So long as your TV can hit upwards of 500 nits, you'll be alright for HDR content. Then things like the contrast ratio comes into play.
Is Your TV Really HDR capable?
And this is where OLED shines ...
Only the older Z9D was designed to compete with the OLED tech, and there hasn't really been another LED like it.
OLEDs on the other hand have gone from strength to strength, and the video processing on this one is mighty fine.

Mate you have your A90J replacement, early to be definitive, but your thoughts, if you had the option of the GZ or the A90J, would knowing what you now know , would you sell the GZ and stick with THE A90J... or is the GZ close to being on a par with the A90J pq wise.
In short,worth upgrading from the GZ2000 if you're getting a 77",don't think you are a gamer so 2.1 means nothing. So bit better motion and HDR is all you're gonna get from a A90J.

If you're gonna get one ,best wait till bf or get a 77 A80J now

Last edited:
IMHO, the 80 is a good compromise between the top 90 and it's higher price and settling for a LG OLED..
And the sound from the internal speakers is very decent indeed.
The UI is also fairly user friendly.

Would you say the sound is good enough that you don't need a soundbar? I know someone with an A8H and he returned the Sonos soundbar which he ordered at the same time, as he said the sound from the TV was so good.

I had a demo of the A8H in Currys last week and found it didn't have enough bass for my liking.

I then listened to the AG9, which has Acoustic Surface+ and it was much better in that department. Though it also has 60W vs 30W for the A8H, so that is probably helping too.

The A80J has Acoustic Surface+ but is 30W. Once it's in-store I will go for a demo.

Would you say the sound is good enough that you don't need a soundbar? I know someone with an A8H and he returned the Sonos soundbar which he ordered at the same time, as he said the sound from the TV was so good.

I had a demo of the A8H in Currys last week and found it didn't have enough bass for my liking.

I then listened to the AG9, which has Acoustic Surface+ and it was much better in that department. Though it also has 60W vs 30W for the A8H, so that is probably helping too.

The A80J has Acoustic Surface+ but is 30W. Once it's in-store I will go for a demo.
77" a80j is actually 50w for sound and supposedly very nicely upgraded tweeters and sub woofer for 2021, the "fake" surround sound via the xr processor is meant to actually be very convincing after doing the sound calibration via the remote control.

77" a80j is actually 50w for sound and supposedly very nicely upgraded tweeters and sub woofer for 2021, the "fake" surround sound via the xr processor is meant to actually be very convincing after doing the sound calibration via the remote control.

I'm looking at the 65", which has 30W. Even that's a little big for my lounge, so 77" is sadly out of the question - not to mention the extra ££'s!

I'm looking at the 65", which has 30W. Even that's a little big for my lounge, so 77" is sadly out of the question - not to mention the extra ££'s!
This guy talks a bit about the sound on his 55" he seem's to like it :thumbsup: time stamped

This guy talks a bit about the sound on his 55" he seem's to like it :thumbsup: time stamped

Just read that Dutch review and they rate the sound as "excellent" (hopefully that's an accurate auto-translation!) :smashin:

1620313976810.png

I'm sure it will be fine mate, better than your "standard" tv sound, best to hear it with your own ears.
I'm in the same boat, keep putting the Sonos Arc in my shopping basket and then deleting....will wait until I get the set and see

I'm in the same boat, keep putting the Sonos Arc in my shopping basket and then deleting....will wait until I get the set and see

Yeah, a guy at work ordered an £800 Sonos soundbar with the A8H and ended up sending it back.

I have a good price match on a 65HZ1500, but the A80J ticks a couple more boxes. I don't need a new TV right now, so will likely go for the A80J in November (Sony rep told me that they are planning Black Fridays discounts from early Nov).

Yeah, a guy at work ordered an £800 Sonos soundbar with the A8H and ended up sending it back.

I have a good price match on a 65HZ1500, but the A80J ticks a couple more boxes. I don't need a new TV right now, so will likely go for the A80J in November (Sony rep told me that they are planning Black Fridays discounts from early Nov).
The way it's going I might get my set by then...:)

Sonos do a 100day no quibble return, (unless they stopped that recently). So nice and easy to test it out in your own home should you feel the tv on it's own isn't enough.

You have went and bought a tv I see , that should see you sorted till 2030 and no not half past eight:thumbsup:.
Nah...not planning to wait that long...cheeky...
Very happy with my pana
Next one is either Oled or micro led in 65 around 2023...
Don’t understand the half past eight reference...:)

Nah...not planning to wait that long...cheeky...
Very happy with my pana
Next one is either Oled or micro led in 65 around 2023...
Don’t understand the half past eight reference...:)
Still coming out with good jokes I see :D :D :D

Yeah that's why I'm going for the 77", can't justify 3 grand extra for the 83 A90J, and these days 65" is too small for movie and gaming immersion after trying a 77" previously, it's all about the size :love:
also means I can upgrade sooner with the extra 3 grand saved :D

Think I will be okay with the 77 A80J. Rest of it for AVR + speakers.

@Goldorak

Nice to hear from you after a long time.

Sonos do a 100day no quibble return, (unless they stopped that recently). So nice and easy to test it out in your own home should you feel the tv on it's own isn't enough.
Yep but will wait for the set as my current steam driven set doesn't have eArc

Still coming out with good jokes I see :D :D :D
What the hell is going on here....
I will change tv in 2023!!! If I don’t, I will send a good bottle of champagne to each one of you jokers and especially the king jokers In his highland castle :)

What the hell is going on here....
I will change tv in 2023!!! If I don’t, I will send a god bottle of champagne ro each of you jokers and especially the king jokers On his highland castle :)
You may very well change tv in 2023, But It won't be a microLED, I will send you 10 bottles of champagne to your french chateaux if it's a microLED :D

It's decent, but nowhere near what my main HT system can do. But if you're spending a few hundred on an entry level soundbar, you might as well save it and try out the internal speakers first.
I'll wager that you won't feel too bad except that the bass from the soundbar subwoofer will probably be a bit meatier. I'll write my thoughts on the Sony G700 after I have done so for the TV..
A nice upgrade will be a JBL 9.1 soundbar or the Bose 700.
Otherwise I'll save it and then get a decent HT system later on.

You may very well change tv in 2023, But It won't be a microLED, I will send you 10 bottles of champagne to your french chateaux if it's a microLED :D
Yep...that will be too ambitious.
I will be happy with an improved aj80 Sony oled...don’t think mini led will tempt me again but never say never.
If you getting one, you are going to enjoy it for sure...

It's decent, but nowhere near what my main HT system can do. But if you're spending a few hundred on an entry level soundbar, you might as well save it and try out the internal speakers first.
I'll wager that you won't feel too bad except that the bass from the soundbar subwoofer will probably be a bit meatier. I'll write my thoughts on the Sony G700 after I have done so for the TV..
A nice upgrade will be a JBL 9.1 soundbar or the Bose 700.
Otherwise I'll save it and then get a decent HT system later on.

Thanks. I've currently got a 9yr old entry level Samsung soundbar with wireless sub - more than enough power for the size of my room but I wouldn't use it with the new TV.

Once I've got the TV, if I decide I need a bit more power then I will get an Atmos soundbar. I'm not in a detached house so have to be conscious of the next door neighbours - they've already complained about the level of bass on my soundbar :mad:

Thanks. I've currently got a 9yr old entry level Samsung soundbar with wireless sub - more than enough power for the size of my room but I wouldn't use it with the new TV.

Once I've got the TV, if I decide I need a bit more power then I will get an Atmos soundbar. I'm not in a detached house so have to be conscious of the next door neighbours - they've already complained about the level of bass on my soundbar :mad:
I've long discovered that these 'Atmos' soundbars don't work too well unless you have symmetrical walls on both sides and true speakers pointing up.
The Sony G700 is an 'Atmos' soundbar and it just makes the sound a tad more expansive..
I rather get a soundbar that gives better dialogue if my funds are limited.
The HK Enchant 1300 was good for example.
Harmon Kardon Enchant 1300 Review
The Dynaudio Music 7 was also impressive.

I bought a Sonos Arc a few months ago and ended up returning it. Nice enough sound but nowhere near worth its £800 price tag. My relatively modest stereo set up of a pair of B&W 685' and a Marantz AVR was noticeably better especially in soundstage than the Arc and costs less too.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom