Sony A80/84J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Does look nice mate, so does the c1/g1 though, can't really go too wrong with any of them.

Does look nice mate, so does the c1/g1 though, can't really go too wrong with any of them.
True, there has been a lot of noise surrounding the C1/G1. Or was that swarming? :smoke:

(probably be a worthwhile backup option, but I'm hoping the Sony is the one)

IMHO, the 80 is a good compromise between the top 90 and it's higher price and settling for a LG OLED..
And the sound from the internal speakers is very decent indeed.
The UI is also fairly user friendly.

HDR: (HDR 10, again contrast at 100)
1%: 788 nits
10%: 736 nits
25%: 480 nits
50%: 286 nits
100% 176 nits

As someone who is coming from a 8 year old Sony 55W905 and in the market for a new TV I have some questions:
  • Are these good readings and if so, why?
  • As I understand nits is a logarithmic scale, meaning 1000 nits is twice as bright as 100 nits.
So as a TV that has a peak brightness of 750 nits becomes twice as bright the peak brightness would become 7500 nits. So, probable not a correct calculation but if a 750 nits TV becomes 20% brighter it should become 750 + (7500-750)*0.2) = 2100 nits?

I just do not see the value in all those nits comparisons. As it looks very marginal. Also if you take into account real life nits figures:
1620284026547.png

1620284103832.png

So I guess the only thing that you can do is test a TV with your own eyes and determine if the perceived brightness suits your needs.

Still no word on my 55"er.....might have to give my mate Dave a call....

They are just average readings for oleds and it gives you a rough idea of what to expect.

It's not always about max nits though and a few nits here and there make no difference really like you say, other things come into play with the available nits and that's how the soc / firmware actually uses them available nits for hdr etc, the new xr soc from Sony is getting amazing reviews in this department.

nits is the new horse power, bragging rights and its :suicide::suicide:, @SimonST just had a 1650nit Samsung mini led and wasn't too impressed.
like you say try it with your own eyes

IMHO, the 80 is a good compromise between the top 90 and it's higher price and settling for a LG OLED..
And the sound from the internal speakers is very decent indeed.
The UI is also fairly user friendly.
Yeah that's why I'm going for the 77", can't justify 3 grand extra for the 83 A90J, and these days 65" is too small for movie and gaming immersion after trying a 77" previously, it's all about the size :love:
also means I can upgrade sooner with the extra 3 grand saved :D

Could you cancel and just get it from currys or John Lewis? :D

Currys getting theirs on 14 May and will allocate...JL is £100 more (although they're offering a £100 voucher) but showing in stock.....will check with Dave and decide :)

Currys getting theirs on 14 May and will allocate...JL is £100 more (although they're offering a £100 voucher) but showing in stock.....will check with Dave and decide :)
Get onto Dave and give him what for :D

I ordered mine from Currys yesterday and received an eReceipt by email straight away and just received a text stating they are expecting the TV from the suppliers and they will text me again with a delivery date. So, still no update on when it will arrive.

Get onto Dave and give him what for :D
Sadly Dave not impressed....so will wait another week.

JL is the A80J, and I have put a price match in just in case, so a bit of wait and see still for me :(

Still hopeful that The Sony Centre get their delivery tomorrow. I paid for same day delivery for my 77A84J which he said would be delivered about 5.30pm. I should be getting a phone call in the morning to confirm.

They seem to have been very helpful so far. I emailed them earlier in the week (3 days after I had ordered) and told them Martin Dawes were selling them £200 cheaper. They agreed to give me a £200 Sony Centre credit note to spend in the store. Better than nothing. :)

I also asked if they intended to reduce the price as I had heard rumours of price reductions and was told this - "I have asked head office and there are currently no planned price drops for this product in the near future"

Still hopeful that The Sony Centre get their delivery tomorrow. I paid for same day delivery for my 77A84J which he said would be delivered about 5.30pm. I should be getting a phone call in the morning to confirm.

They seem to have been very helpful so far. I emailed them earlier in the week (3 days after I had ordered) and told them Martin Dawes were selling them £200 cheaper. They agreed to give me a £200 Sony Centre credit note to spend in the store. Better than nothing. :)

I also asked if they intended to reduce the price as I had heard rumours of price reductions and was told this - "I have asked head office and there are currently no planned price drops for this product in the near future"
I noticed Martin Dawes have it at 4199 now.. maybe a pricing error you got lucky on :clap:

I noticed Martin Dawes have it at 4199 now.. maybe a pricing error you got lucky on :clap:
Blimey I was lucky.

It's been a good week. I've also bought a new centre speaker from Audio Affair. Managed to get £50 off and £140 trade in for my KEF iQ60c. So that's £710 instead of £900 for the ProAc Voice Centre.

I've also sold my 75XD9405 for £500 - Just got to deliver that on Saturday. Dreading doing that as it is a big TV and weighs 43kg. I can't stand it up in my car so I was going to lay in down on it's back on a mattress. Not ideal but it is only a short journey.

nits is the new horse power, bragging rights and its :suicide::suicide:, @SimonST just had a 1650nit Samsung mini led and wasn't too impressed.
like you say try it with your own eyes
Yeah I do think people (myself included at times) get caught up in this nits race, when really, the differences are going to be negligible at times.

Having a 1700 nit light cannon was a learning experience, namely that you can quite easily watch it in a dark room, unlike what some people with OLEDs think, that anything over 800 nits will blind you lol. But at the same time, the full-field brightness is too much for a dark room. It's rare that it's ever apparent thankfully, but something like the Warner Bros opening sequence against the clouds (the newest version in HDR) really made me squint. It'd be nice if you could tone down the full-field brightness while retaining those thousands of nits for 1/10%. But I also found that the HDR experience wasn't this "game-changing" revelation that some of the fanboys were harping on about, stuff looked brighter sure, more intense in some instances, but no more real to me, other than a few highlights like the sun not being clipped as much as on my E6. Otherwise, colour me underwhelmed. Will stick to OLED, much better picture most of the time IMO.

Any OLED will be a massive upgrade over the W905 (still has very nice rich colours though), wouldn't hesitate to switch.

Yeah I do think people (myself included at times) get caught up in this nits race, when really, the differences are going to be negligible at times.

Having a 1700 nit light cannon was a learning experience, namely that you can quite easily watch it in a dark room, unlike what some people with OLEDs think, that anything over 800 nits will blind you lol. But at the same time, the full-field brightness is too much for a dark room. It's rare that it's ever apparent thankfully, but something like the Warner Bros opening sequence against the clouds (the newest version in HDR) really made me squint. It'd be nice if you could tone down the full-field brightness while retaining those thousands of nits for 1/10%. But I also found that the HDR experience wasn't this "game-changing" revelation that some of the fanboys were harping on about, stuff looked brighter sure, more intense in some instances, but no more real to me, other than a few highlights like the sun not being clipped as much as on my E6. Otherwise, colour me underwhelmed. Will stick to OLED, much better picture most of the time IMO.

Any OLED will be a massive upgrade over the W905 (still has very nice rich colours though), wouldn't hesitate to switch.
Any oled from 2018 till now is a big improvement vs the e6,much better near blacks and better HDR and also much better motion,as back then the motion on LG sets were shit. The A80J should be a big upgrade for you :smoke:

Any oled from 2018 till now is a big improvement vs the e6,much better near blacks and better HDR and also much better motion,as back then the motion on LG sets were sh*t. The A80J should be a big upgrade for you :smoke:
Yeah it's funny how quite a few people had 2016-ish sets with "almost perfect" near-blacks, then suddenly the issues were mentioned more a few years later once replacement sets had arrived :rolleyes: Whereas I've always been fully aware of their flaws. But tbf it still puts out a great image 99% of the time, which is why I've been able to hold on so long. I do think the HDR was massively improved with a firmware update long after the reviews were made, but I'd still expect the tone-mapping to be much better, even if the TV's actual brightness isn't that much lower than some of today's sets. Plus the HDR "calibration" tools are an absolute joke on the E6 lol, as useful as a long-term TV review from ...I was going to pick on @jmacc but to be fair all of you have had about a million OLED swaps/exchanges :rotfl: Definitely looking forward to spending some serious time with the Sony though when I eventually dip in.

Sounds like the issues on your A90J cleared up and you've got a keeper? We're definitely making progress if quite a few people are getting good ones first time :D

So nice to see some excitement back...
This tv seems to be something....
Keep safe all. looking forward for more...
You have went and bought a tv I see , that should see you sorted till 2030 and no not half past eight:thumbsup:.

Update on 77" nits measurement (incl. 2 Point Greyscale correction small update today and CMS correction from yesterday, but only like 15 hours on the Panel):

SDR: (realised I can increase contrast to 100 and only above ref. white was clipped, so the Peak brightness increased - usually you set it to 90 to give it some headroom in case the mastering uses above white, but if you prefer to get the maximum brightness, go with 100)
10% Window - 517 nits
100% Full Field - 192 nits

HDR: (HDR 10, again contrast at 100)
1%: 788 nits
10%: 736 nits
25%: 480 nits
50%: 286 nits
100% 176 nits
What i would be looking for as the A80J is not going to get as bright as the A90J , I am hoping it does replicate the greater detail and depth that the A90J PQ exhibits, I am hoping that's not down to the heatsink implementation but rather the processor at work.🤞

Any oled from 2018 till now is a big improvement vs the e6,much better near blacks and better HDR and also much better motion,as back then the motion on LG sets were sh*t. The A80J should be a big upgrade for you :smoke:
Mate you have your A90J replacement, early to be definitive, but your thoughts, if you had the option of the GZ or the A90J, would knowing what you now know , would you sell the GZ and stick with THE A90J... or is the GZ close to being on a par with the A90J pq wise.

What i would be looking for as the A80J is not going to get as bright as the A90J , I am hoping it does replicate the greater detail and depth that the A90J PQ exhibits, I am hoping that's not down to the heatsink implementation but rather the processor at work.🤞
From all reviews so far and owners who had both xr A90J and xr a80j the processing and detail along with near blacks etc is the same, ie: a beautiful picture.

A80j on left, A90J middle, LG c1 right.. look at the detail between the 2 Sony TVs..identical, look how much the LG crush the dark details, check the detail on the building at the back of the top pic. XR goodness :love:

721E570C-944F-4130-BC35-A17C5116AC19.png

From all reviews so far and owners who had both xr A90J and xr a80j the processing and detail along with near blacks etc is the same, ie: a beautiful picture.

A80j on left, A90J middle, LG c1 right.. look at the detail between the 2 Sony TVs..identical, look how much the LG crush the dark details, check the detail on the building at the back of the top pic. XR goodness :love:

View attachment 1507049
Looking promising on the PQ front, next uniformity, owners will tell us.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom