Sony A80/84J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

An AVS owner of a a80j confirmed his a90j backlit controller works with the a80j :smoke:

My one is here sitting patiently waiting :love::love::love:

Backlit goodness :love: I know it's probably instant on/off in reality but still :D

remote.gif

Personally I couldn't see any differences on those 2 sets but then again obviously I am restricted to the screen I am watching it on and of course his camera may balance the 2 out as well.

Personally I couldn't see any differences on those 2 sets but then again obviously I am restricted to the screen I am watching it on and of course his camera may balance the 2 out as well.
Always hard to tell on these vids mate.
Who knows what pic settings he used either, obviously the a90j will be brighter (well I'd hope so :rotfl: ).
settings wise though.. he had something not right on the a90j, check the bad judder on the train .

Time stamped for your convenience

Who knows what pic settings he used either, obviously the a90j will be brighter (well I'd hope so :rotfl: ).
settings wise though.. he had something not right on the a90j, check the bad judder on the train .

Can see what you mean about judder on the 90 if you go to timestamp 0:53 the whites on the 80 on the inside of the building looked dirty compared to the white on the 90 but as said it’s probably down to the camera

Can see what you mean about judder on the 90 if you go to timestamp 0:53 the whites on the 80 on the inside of the building looked dirty compared to the white on the 90 but as said it’s probably down to the camera
Not really seeing any difference at all at 53secs :blush: 🧐🧐
Not really worth scrutinising anyway :D

ΩNot really seeing any difference at all at 53secs :blush: 🧐🧐
Not really worth scrutinising anyway :D

True! :smoke: Seems to me that the only real differences are, heatsink / brightness, stand combinations, and sound output. Will be interesting to see what VT comes out with but I'm leaning towards the larger 65" A80J over the 55" A90J :thumbsup:

Was night a day difference for me,A80J looked flat,dull and lifeless, while the A90J the pic had great specular highlights, colour and depth and was like a 3d window into the world. No contest :smoke: :smoke:

True! :smoke: Seems to me that the only real differences are, heatsink / brightness, stand combinations, and sound output. Will be interesting to see what VT comes out with but I'm leaning towards the larger 65" A80J over the 55" A90J :thumbsup:
The 80 seems perfectly bright to me from what he says. I’m not using the tv sound and have my own vesa stand. A backlit remote isn’t a deal breaker. I want a great picture but wouldn’t describe myself as a videophile. Am I better off saving £800 and going for 80 over the 90?

The 80 seems perfectly bright to me from what he says. I’m not using the tv sound and have my own vesa stand. A backlit remote isn’t a deal breaker. I want a great picture but wouldn’t describe myself as a videophile. Am I better off saving £800 and going for 80 over the 90?
That was the decision I made....not sure my eyes could really distinguish that much of a difference plus coming from an older model I'm hoping it's a win/win with the A84J

That was the decision I made....not sure my eyes could really distinguish that much of a difference plus coming from an older model I'm hoping it's a win/win with the A84J
few happy avs a80j owners now, they went from a 65" a90j to 77 a80j, they wanted the size upgrade but can't justify the £7000 on the 83" a90j. :)

Posted by BigBlue83

Been watching HDR past couple hours. This A80J gets bright and is no slouch. Hard pressed to see a significant difference from the A90J. Could be due to the sheer size of the 77” vs the 65” I had. I’m sure the 83” A90J would make the 77” A80 look like less of a stellar performer. But for those on the fence, the A80 is superb. Especially in 77”. The immersion is insane. Pics don’t do it justice. I’m 8 feet away.

49093EE4-D3E8-42BB-AB47-129E78BF2FFB.jpeg
869CB293-4CB1-40E8-8AA2-56A9D0FF2279.jpeg

Was night a day difference for me,A80J looked flat,dull and lifeless, while the A90J the pic had great specular highlights, colour and depth and was like a 3d window into the world. No contest :smoke: :smoke:
I could barely see them, such small portable tv's :smoke: 😍

Whichever one I get it will be a 55”. Happy to spend the extra on the 90 esp as interest free credit is available but wondering if for my viewing, sky q and 4K Netflix whether I’ll see a significant difference.

Whichever one I get it will be a 55”. Happy to spend the extra on the 90 esp as interest free credit is available but wondering if for my viewing, sky q and 4K Netflix whether I’ll see a significant difference.
May as well get the a90j if money isn't a concern :thumbsup:

Can afford the 90 but very happy to spend £800 less!!

May as well get the a90j if money isn't a concern :thumbsup:
This is where it's at , get you with your pre-order in on a 77A80J and at a brill price, I take it that 15% off no longer applies, if so gutted, would have been all over it like a rash , no doubt I was informed by TopCash via an e-mail, but just deleted it.

This is where it's at , get you with your pre-order in on a 77A80J and at a brill price, I take it that 15% off no longer applies, if so gutted, would have been all over it like a rash , no doubt I was informed by TopCash via an e-mail, but just deleted it.
Looking forward to it, 77" can't come soon enough!
Hopefully not too much longer to wait! 😍

:love::love::love:

68a93eddf8f1a50d5b41.jpg

So with TC you are paying £3500 , you lucky chap .. when was the 15% off offer alive.

just watched that on a PC monitor and (I need to watch on my set again) less difference than I expected, I assume these are out of the box sets as the 90 is pushing way too much yellow, makes the skin tones look jaundiced

nah its only off the non vat price..
so works at around £3680ish? IF they pay out lol
It will mate , still a very good saving , around BF price i would say, but 6 / 7 months earlier.

So with TC you are paying £3500 , you lucky chap .. when was the 15% off offer alive.
I'm hoping there'll be an official (£500) Sony cashback offer around the Euros, can order one then clyde84Jst :love: I don't think are any more 77" OLEDs coming out to change our mind to now :D :rotfl: Well, not until the Philips, but #sonysauce :love::love::love::love:

I'm hoping there'll be an official (£500) Sony cashback offer around the Euros, can order one then clyde84Jst :love: I don't think are any more 77" OLEDs coming out to change our mind to now :D :rotfl: Well, not until the Philips, but #sonysauce :love::love::love::love:
Simon.. missed opportunity mate.. something like a tomato sauce bottle photshopped with sony sauce 😍 😍 😍 :D

Hope you are right mate , Philips been a very long time since I've even considered buying a tv from them , we have Mr Macc to lead us now on the merits of the A80/84J .. God help us.🤯

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom