Sony A80/84J OLED Owners and Discussion Thread

BlackSpider777

No, there's only an option to turn the light on or off on remote inputs, but no "always on" option.
Kool was wondering, i got the Mic switch version of the A80J & for some reason i can't enable it to turn on the inbuilt mic, don't even see the Mic Led light that has to turn on when you enable the switch.

JohnJohnGB

Standard Member
This was hidden, I didn't know it even existed! I've unhidden it, but there is no way on selecting any the "output" arc hdmi port as this input. By default this is set to the optical input. It's weird.
You should be able to select it on the remote. TV or TV audio button. Also the input selector knob should rotate to it. Arc doesn't work in optical Arc is only HDMI. There is no output as the TV already has picture in app. The TV selector selects Audio Return Channel (ARC) meaning take the sound from the TV output HDMI cable. Hope this makes sense now.

JohnJohnGB

Standard Member
It's worked!!! Just by making "TV audio" available and not selecting it has brought it all back to life.

Thank you! You are my hero.
No problems, glad it works. One funny thing i get with sky is if you have sky on and switch tv to TV app netflix, tv audio switches on, but selecting sky input to switch back to sky sometimes doesn't work. So turn off/on sky box which will trigger switch from tv audio back to input mode sky. Just in case this happens to you.

GaMeFaNaTiC

Thanks for that. However, this guy says a few things in the video that are worrying:

1) It adds edge enhancement
2) Use RC if you don't care about creator's intent
3) It cleans up the image
4) It brings out detail that isn't there originally

As an avid home movie watcher, I'm not sure this guy fully knows what he's talking about.
I put RC on 60 with everything I watch, it's a game changer for me. Sometimes I have to put it higher because football on sky looks like a blurry mess for some reason.

Lee33

Why are Sony so slow/reluctant to update gaming features compared to LG? I want to upgrade to the A80J from my LG B8, Sony's superior motion handling is a big deal for me as I'm sensitive to motion stutter etc, but the lack of VRR and no Dolby Vision gaming mode is a concern, especially since it took them 2 years to update the x900h with VRR

jaysonrain

Why are Sony so slow/reluctant to update gaming features compared to LG? I want to upgrade to the A80J from my LG B8, Sony's superior motion handling is a big deal for me as I'm sensitive to motion stutter etc, but the lack of VRR and no Dolby Vision gaming mode is a concern, especially since it took them 2 years to update the x900h with VRR
VRR is coming. I think by the end of the year is what they’ve said. Nether VRR or Dolby Vision are supported on the PS5 yet (I’m not sure Dolby Vision ever will) so why I guess they aren’t rushing.

I’ve gamed on the LG G1 and the Sony A80J with my PS5 and Although the Sony doesn’t have VRR I’ve never noticed any screen tear. & as I’ve stated before if your sensitive to motion the Sony looks much brighter when the motion setting are set to high in game mode.

Soon the only thing missing will be Dolby Vision gaming. If you have an Xbox then that may be an issue, but you have to weigh that up against all the other benefits like motion, upscaling etc…

If you have a PS5 it’s a no brainer for me

Smiffy 2

Have just had my new backlit remote delivered from eBay. Can't believe how much better it is than the supplied black one.
Cushty 😁😁😁

Smiffy 2

Last edited:

kochiman

Novice Member
Hi, just got my A80J 65 in. in September, enjoying watching sports and Netflix in vivid mode. Will this hurt the tv in any way? Should I be in custom mode? Thanks for your inputs.

JohnnyMN

Hi, just got my A80J 65 in. in September, enjoying watching sports and Netflix in vivid mode. Will this hurt the tv in any way? Should I be in custom mode? Thanks for your inputs.

VIVID mode?!

miss jay gif GIF

Smiffy 2

Custom mode for me too.
Vivid must look terrible
😱😱😱

kochiman

Novice Member
Thank you for your inputs.
Another question, any of you experienced TV turning by itself? Mines did couple times while not in room. TY.

50W

I set mine to Netflix mode for Netflix, as I didn't want the picture to look like a soap opera. The Netflix mode gives it that film look (if you know what I mean)

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sky reveals content lineup for 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Panasonic TVs now feature Apple TV+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Magico announces Titan 15 subwoofer
  • By Andy Bassett