Sony A80/84J OLED Owners and Discussion Thread

Spec-Chum

When I started researching between the A80J and the C1, the overall view was that the additional £400 wasn't worth it hence why everyone said go for the C1.

I do think the Sony has better picture quality but is it really worth the £400 extra?
I thought so.

When I bought mine last week, difference was £300 at RS and I still opted for the Sony.

It is a very personal choice, tho. My Movie/Shows to gaming split is like 80/20, so the better PQ swung it for me, plus I came from a Sony X900F and knew what great motion and upscaling it has, Reality Creation is phenomenal.

I figured if I'm paying some £2,000 for a TV, £300 wasn't going to really factor into getting the one I really wanted.

jaysonrain

When I started researching between the A80J and the C1, the overall view was that the additional £400 wasn't worth it hence why everyone said go for the C1.

I do think the Sony has better picture quality but is it really worth the £400 extra?
I’m not sure what the current price difference is.

I didn’t have the C1 but I had the LG G1 which is a higher model than the C1 and £100 more than the 80j. I still prefer the A80J. I always get suckered in to the LG from reviews, but for me the motion is not so good (may be different for other people) I think I’m really sensitive to it. Normal sky viewing which I watch a lot is better on the A80J. Also in game mode, changing the motion setting to high which I needed for FIFA, made the image to dark. On the Sony I have it on the highest setting and it’s much brighter.

I’ve not seen screen tear once with the lack of VRR. ALLM doesn’t matter if you have a PS5 because the TV recognises it.

It’s hard because you could get the C1 and love it. For me every time I’ve tried an LG, I’ve been left disappointed

jaysonrain

I thought so.

When I bought mine last week, difference was £300 at RS and I still opted for the Sony.

It is a very personal choice, tho. My Movie/Shows to gaming split is like 80/20, so the better PQ swung it for me, plus I came from a Sony X900F and knew what great motion and upscaling it has, Reality Creation is phenomenal.

I figured if I'm paying some £2,000 for a TV, £300 wasn't going to really factor into getting the one I really wanted.
Totally agree with this. When you’re spending this sort of money, don’t let £300 put you off getting the best one for you.

JohnnyMN

I think the best thing for you to do is see them both in person. Have you got a Richersounds near you? They might be willing to let you view both of them together. Once I got my first Sony after owning 2 LG TVs the difference in clarity and the detail on display combined with the motion and natural yet vivid colours, I was an instant fan boy. For me that tops having VRR. The Sony is still a great gaming TV with low input lag and HDMI 2.1. I like being able to put Netflix on and even a low bitrate 1080p movie looks sharp and detailed because of that processor. The upscaling is so good sometimes when watching 1080p blu rays I could swear it's a native 4k image it's that sharp.

If you're concerned about price Black Friday is only 4 weeks away. That's what I'm waiting for 😁.

JohnJohnGB

Standard Member
I received my a80j yesterday and am made up with it. But, I'm having an absolute dog's life getting any audio out of the inbuilt streaming apps over ARC to my receiver.

I've got an older Marantz SR6008 receiver that supports ARC (not eARC) and can't get it to receive any audio back from the TV. I have my sky box connected to the receiver and that is connected via the ARC output HDMI 3 on the TV. I have followed the instructions in the manual / online to set the TV to output sound via ARC but when I switch to the Home screen / streaming apps, the audio from sky continues to play.

Any ideas or suggestions to what I may be doing wrong? I've replaced all the hdmi cables in the last day and nothing changes. I've connected the sky box directly to the TV and ran a separate hdmi to the amp, but still no sound from the apps.

Is this the end of the amp and am going to have to shell out for a newer one?

Thanks for any help!
You have enabled Arc on your marantz. I take it

JohnJohnGB

Standard Member
Yeah unfortunately I've done that and it's all seemingly set up correctly. I've ordered myself an optical cable to run from the TV to the amp and fingers crossed that remedies the lack of sound. If so, it'll save me looking for a new amp for a few months.
Just saw this, so you have ARC on on marantz. Last thing to look for on marantz is TV input. On the input selection. This specifically sets the input of your marantz to the arc input hdmi. Which is also the Output to TV.

dsingh1991

Novice Member
I think the best thing for you to do is see them both in person. Have you got a Richersounds near you? They might be willing to let you view both of them together. Once I got my first Sony after owning 2 LG TVs the difference in clarity and the detail on display combined with the motion and natural yet vivid colours, I was an instant fan boy. For me that tops having VRR. The Sony is still a great gaming TV with low input lag and HDMI 2.1. I like being able to put Netflix on and even a low bitrate 1080p movie looks sharp and detailed because of that processor. The upscaling is so good sometimes when watching 1080p blu rays I could swear it's a native 4k image it's that sharp.

If you're concerned about price Black Friday is only 4 weeks away. That's what I'm waiting for 😁.
Thank you for the feedback. I do have a Richersounds nearby and will definitively pop in sometime next week.

Me too - if the price drops in 4 weeks, I can pull the trigger!

Spec-Chum

Thank you for the feedback. I do have a Richersounds nearby and will definitively pop in sometime next week.

Me too - if the price drops in 4 weeks, I can pull the trigger!
I got lucky and found an RS voucher for £250 off - only seemed to last one day tho.

I can't see Black Friday going down much more.

Ruby

Just looking at a YouTube video where the guy was saying the A80J picture was better than the G1 with older movies as it manipulated the grain to make it less obvious. Is that actually true as I don't like the sound of that at all (as I love grain and don't like the idea of any kind of noise reduction or edge enhancement)?

Last edited:

Spec-Chum

Just looking at a YouTube video where the guy was saying the A80J picture was better than the G1 with older movies as it manipulated the grain to make it less obvious. Is that actually true as I don't like the sound of that at all (as I love grain and don't like the idea of any kind of noise reduction or edge enhancement)?
I can't say I've noticed any loss of real film grain, but if you don't like edge enhancement you'll love the Sony then, Reality Creation is phenomenal at adding sharpness without the usual ringing and aliasing associated with normal upscaling and sharpening algorithms.

RC is an AI powered algorithm that analyses the image and applies varying amounts of sharpening depending on the part of the image it's currently analysing, unlike normal sharpening which enhances the entire screen at once.

I probably sound like a Sony sales rep right now, but once you use RC you'll never look back - it really can, and does, make 1080p look like native 4k.

Smiffy 2

Same as this. My previous two OLED's have been LG's, and they've been okay.
Only thing I ever got fed up with about them were the flakey Freeview tuners and the less than perfect eArc connection with my receiver. Too early to make judgement on the Sony's tuner, but my receiver is now performing as it should.

Spec-Chum

IanMcLee

If you have no selectable TV input for marantz, check if you can hide inputs, if so , check TV isn't hidden.
This was hidden, I didn't know it even existed! I've unhidden it, but there is no way on selecting any the "output" arc hdmi port as this input. By default this is set to the optical input. It's weird.

IanMcLee

This was hidden, I didn't know it even existed! I've unhidden it, but there is no way on selecting any the "output" arc hdmi port as this input. By default this is set to the optical input. It's weird.

If you have no selectable TV input for marantz, check if you can hide inputs, if so , check TV isn't hidden.
It's worked!!! Just by making "TV audio" available and not selecting it has brought it all back to life.

Thank you! You are my hero.

BlackSpider777

Does the A80J have Standby light? my tv when it goes to standby i see no indicator, only see the led flashing when using the remote when the tv is on.

Thanks.

Spec-Chum

Does the A80J have Standby light? my tv when it goes to standby i see no indicator, only see the led flashing when using the remote when the tv is on.

Thanks.
No, there's only an option to turn the light on or off on remote inputs, but no "always on" option.

Ruby

Thanks for that. However, this guy says a few things in the video that are worrying:

1) It adds edge enhancement
2) Use RC if you don't care about creator's intent
3) It cleans up the image
4) It brings out detail that isn't there originally

As an avid home movie watcher, I'm not sure this guy fully knows what he's talking about.

Spec-Chum

Thanks for that. However, this guy says a few things in the video that are worrying:

1) It adds edge enhancement
2) Use RC if you don't care about creator's intent
3) It cleans up the image
4) It brings out detail that isn't there originally

As an avid home movie watcher, I'm not sure this guy fully knows what he's talking about.
1) All upscaling does this, otherwise it'll be a blurry mess (Bilinear, for example) or blocky, like Minecraft (nearest neighbour)
2) Personal choice on 4k, but that doesn't count for 1080p or lower, as you're already not getting creators intent as you're upscaling

3 and 4 are subjective, as mentioned upscaling always alters the image but RC is far better than anything else I've seen.

The only way to get true creators content on 1080p is to play it on a 1080p display with any and all enhancements turned off, on 4k content just switch it all off.

Spec-Chum

Bear in mind, it's your TV and what looks best to you is what's best for you.

It doesn't matter what he does or doesn't know, if he enjoys the enhancements then that's a win.

Joner40

Does anyone have a Panasonic Ub-9000 4K blue-ray player. Is it better to Video hdmi straight to tv and audio hdmi to soundbar which is using the Arc or just put the panny through the Soundbar? just waiting for delivery this Monday and wonder if anyone with a A80j had this player?

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sky reveals content lineup for 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Panasonic TVs now feature Apple TV+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Magico announces Titan 15 subwoofer
  • By Andy Bassett