Sony A80/84J OLED Owners and Discussion Thread

Ruby

I've heard in a couple of different places that the Sony's have a slight blue tint out of the box, which can't be sorted by any of the pictures modes or calibrated away. Is there any truth to this?

GaMeFaNaTiC

I've heard in a couple of different places that the Sony's have a slight blue tint out of the box, which can't be sorted by any of the pictures modes or calibrated away. Is there any truth to this?
Yes the colour is slightly blue but easily fixable by changing the colour settings (white balance I think it's called). Or you can calibrate it professionally but changes those settings was good enough for me since the picture is already accurate.

KevRusski

Started to suffer with terrible frame rate issues on the ps5.
Started today with Fortnite online then offline spider man miles Morales.
Its like it's about 20fps....
On Fortnite the sound was way behind too. Surely not the TV. Any ideas?
I turned router on and off, I've changed ps5 setting to disable 120hz.

IanMcLee

I received my a80j yesterday and am made up with it. But, I'm having an absolute dog's life getting any audio out of the inbuilt streaming apps over ARC to my receiver.

I've got an older Marantz SR6008 receiver that supports ARC (not eARC) and can't get it to receive any audio back from the TV. I have my sky box connected to the receiver and that is connected via the ARC output HDMI 3 on the TV. I have followed the instructions in the manual / online to set the TV to output sound via ARC but when I switch to the Home screen / streaming apps, the audio from sky continues to play.

Any ideas or suggestions to what I may be doing wrong? I've replaced all the hdmi cables in the last day and nothing changes. I've connected the sky box directly to the TV and ran a separate hdmi to the amp, but still no sound from the apps.

Is this the end of the amp and am going to have to shell out for a newer one?

Thanks for any help!

Spec-Chum

I received my a80j yesterday and am made up with it. But, I'm having an absolute dog's life getting any audio out of the inbuilt streaming apps over ARC to my receiver.

I've got an older Marantz SR6008 receiver that supports ARC (not eARC) and can't get it to receive any audio back from the TV. I have my sky box connected to the receiver and that is connected via the ARC output HDMI 3 on the TV. I have followed the instructions in the manual / online to set the TV to output sound via ARC but when I switch to the Home screen / streaming apps, the audio from sky continues to play.

Any ideas or suggestions to what I may be doing wrong? I've replaced all the hdmi cables in the last day and nothing changes. I've connected the sky box directly to the TV and ran a separate hdmi to the amp, but still no sound from the apps.

Is this the end of the amp and am going to have to shell out for a newer one?

Thanks for any help!
I can't help with your particular amp, but my Denon X1500H is ARC only, no eARC, and seems to work fine with my a80j, so I'm not convinced it's your amp.

IanMcLee

I can't help with your particular amp, but my Denon X1500H is ARC only, no eARC, and seems to work fine with my a80j, so I'm not convinced it's your amp.
Is your set up similar, except for a different amp? Do you need to change what input you have the amp on in order to get the audio feed coming back from the TV?

Spec-Chum

Is your set up similar, except for a different amp? Do you need to change what input you have the amp on in order to get the audio feed coming back from the TV?
Seems pretty much same, yeah.

And no, when I press "home" on the TV the amp changes to "TV".

Spec-Chum

I've only got my amp and Xbox Series S in the TV, everything else goes into the amp.

Timbookto

I need to replace my bedroom tv and I was looking to move my lounge tv which is a Sony KD-49XF9005 which I have found a great tv to the Bedroom.
I have been looking at the SONY BRAVIA XR55A84JU 55’’ and the SONY BRAVIA XR55A80JU 55’’ I have seen the A80JU has three legs positions does the A84JU have the same, as I need a narrow leg position for the unit it will sit on, or buy another stand that will stand on the unit. Thanks for any advice

The A84j has the built in hands free mic, as well as the button on the remote. The A80J only has the button on the remote.
Thanks- in the US here so I don't have the A84.
I heard the A80 CJ has the build in mic - i.e th costco version. Can someone with the costco version confirm that? I'm probably gonna swap mine in for the Costco version just to get the built in mic. What's teh point of Google voice if you gotta use a remote all the time.

Smiffy 2

I have seen the A80JU has three legs positions does the A84JU have the same, as I need a narrow leg position for the unit it will sit on, or buy another stand that will stand on the unit. Thanks for any advice
There are a couple of differences between the two, some kind of video processing and an inbuilt mic on the tv itself.
Other than that, I think they are identical.

Spec-Chum

Not sure I'd want a built-in mic on the TV, not so much for the "spying", I'm not bothered about that, but I'm bothered about commands being picked up by accident and changing the channel or something.

Can you imagine: "I can finally reveal the murderer is <flick> THIS WEEK ON BAKE OFF WE ARE..."

Arggghhhh.

Mallett94

Distinguished Member
Started to suffer with terrible frame rate issues on the ps5.
Started today with Fortnite online then offline spider man miles Morales.
Its like it's about 20fps....
On Fortnite the sound was way behind too. Surely not the TV. Any ideas?
I turned router on and off, I've changed ps5 setting to disable 120hz.
Fortnite can be played in 120hz but you can also choose to play it 'just' at 60hz.

For Miles Morales there are 3 modes you can play the game in.

1. Native 4K full graphics including full ray tracing where the frame rate is 30fps.
2. Dynamic 4K (or native Res slightly less) with no ray tracing at all locked to 60fps.
3. Dynamic 4K with limited ray tracing enabled targeting/mostly locked to 60fps.

If you went from playing fortnite in 120fps to then playing miles Morales at 30fps then understandably you would be like WTF.

How are you getting your sound? Generally on Sony consoles the best audio format priority to choose is Linear PCM in the PS5 System Sound settings.

Mallett94

Distinguished Member
@IanMcLee Have you made sure that you have connected the AMP to the TV with the HDMI cable going from the HDMI out ARC port on the AVR to the HDMI in ARC port on the TV?

Also if your amp is not auto switching away from the sky input on the avr to the arc 'source' then try manually choosing the ARC source on your amp when you are using native TV apps.

IanMcLee

@IanMcLee Have you made sure that you have connected the AMP to the TV with the HDMI cable going from the HDMI out ARC port on the AVR to the HDMI in ARC port on the TV?

Also if your amp is not auto switching away from the sky input on the avr to the arc 'source' then try manually choosing the ARC source on your amp when you are using native TV apps.
Yes the Marantz has two outputs and both support ARC.

There is no "arc" listed on the amp as a selectable source. It only lists the HDMI inputs on the back of the amp and there is no way to choose the feed from TV coming back in to the amp.

Mallett94

Distinguished Member
Yes the Marantz has two outputs and both support ARC.

There is no "arc" listed on the amp as a selectable source. It only lists the HDMI inputs on the back of the amp and there is no way to choose the feed from TV coming back in to the amp.
You'll have to check the manual to see how to activate the AVR playing an ARC sound source.

IanMcLee

Yeah unfortunately I've done that and it's all seemingly set up correctly. I've ordered myself an optical cable to run from the TV to the amp and fingers crossed that remedies the lack of sound. If so, it'll save me looking for a new amp for a few months.

BlackSpider777

Just got the 65" A80J, upgraded from my LG B6 oled, settings are very different to what i m use to,
Any idea what is the Oled Back light setting called on the Sony Picture settings? also what is the Brightness settings called?

Thanks.

Wez68

Distinguished Member
Yeah unfortunately I've done that and it's all seemingly set up correctly. I've ordered myself an optical cable to run from the TV to the amp and fingers crossed that remedies the lack of sound. If so, it'll save me looking for a new amp for a few months.
Have you turned eARC off ?

KevRusski

Fortnite can be played in 120hz but you can also choose to play it 'just' at 60hz.

For Miles Morales there are 3 modes you can play the game in.

1. Native 4K full graphics including full ray tracing where the frame rate is 30fps.
2. Dynamic 4K (or native Res slightly less) with no ray tracing at all locked to 60fps.
3. Dynamic 4K with limited ray tracing enabled targeting/mostly locked to 60fps.

If you went from playing fortnite in 120fps to then playing miles Morales at 30fps then understandably you would be like WTF.

How are you getting your sound? Generally on Sony consoles the best audio format priority to choose is Linear PCM in the PS5 System Sound settings
The thing is I had not changed any settings on the TV, games or console when it started suffering bad frame rates in both games.......now, it seems to have fixed itself, again without changing anything.......
Bizarre

dsingh1991

Novice Member
A80/84j! Better motion for football, better upscaling of standard HD TV images. And Sony are bringing stuff in to make their TV’s the best for PS5
When I started researching between the A80J and the C1, the overall view was that the additional £400 wasn't worth it hence why everyone said go for the C1.

I do think the Sony has better picture quality but is it really worth the £400 extra?

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Magico announces Titan 15 subwoofer
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Ajax Systems adds UK Socket to expand smart home options
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Best TVs of 2021 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Phil Hinton