Sony A80/84J OLED Owners and Discussion Thread

michaelgordon

i did a little more testing with the picture settin g for the football last night. This time on custom brightness 40 peak luminance high and colour to 60. I didnt notice any dimming, i wanst particularly looking for it but i didnt notice it.

Difference from Saturday was imax enhanced pic setting, brightness was max and adv contrast on high. ill have to test again and actually look for dimming but maybe it has something to do with the brightness setting?

Smiffy 2

Just subscribed to Disney+. PQ and Atmos soundtrack is superb. Happy wife...😁😁😁😁😁

palace1000

Standard Member
My Dad has the xr-65a80j.

His partner has a brain tumor and had to have some brain removed and it has badly affected her hearing.

He was wondering can this television use wireless/Bluetooth headphones and the television speakers at the same time ?

If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated.

Mallett94

Distinguished Member
My Dad has the xr-65a80j.

His partner has a brain tumor and had to have some brain removed and it has badly affected her hearing.

He was wondering can this television use wireless/Bluetooth headphones and the television speakers at the same time ?

If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated.
On the XF9005 model from 2018, if you connected a digital optical cable to the toslink port on the TV, which would connect to some form of wireless headphones transmitter, then whilst the TV was sending sound out of the TV speakers, it would also transmit a sound signal out of the toslink port at the same time. I never confirmed if it was 'just' a stereo signal or if it was sending a 5.1 Dolby digital signal, but from experimenting with my ears I think it was a stereo signal.

Hope this helps.

Ruby

Can't decide between the A80J/A84J and C1. The one thing putting me off the Sony models is the near black performance having seen some comparisons on HDTVTest. In dark scenes, the near blacks seemed too elevated. However I don't want to take a single person's word for it - what do you guys think?

Funky22

I ended up with the 77A80J instead of the 77C16 price difference was only €100 in a Dutch store

Movies are always difficult to judge on internet but in most I found the Sony give better blacks and less wash out colors, now a well calibrated C1 will be of top image quality

If your main focus is gaming go for the C1 for the rest Sony imo, but if you buy a C1 for the rest you will also be happy, think Sony also has a better panel control and therefore fewer devices with banding

Last edited:
I had a question about using google voice- to control the TV. Is there a far field mic? or do I have to press a button and speak into the remote?

cooknl

Can someone who is using the A80J or A84J with google TV while watching satelite or cable tv with the tuner in the tv, check to see if the program REMINDER system has the REPEAT capability to remind for daily or weekly etc , please.
Thx for any info.
Can someone with satellite or cable PLEASE check the above for me, greatly appreciate it.

Ruby

I ended up with the 77A80J instead of the 77C16 price difference was only €100 in a Dutch store

Movies are always difficult to judge on internet but in most I found the Sony give better blacks and less wash out colors, now a well calibrated C1 will be of top image quality

If your main focus is gaming go for the C1 for the rest Sony imo, but if you buy a C1 for the rest you will also be happy, think Sony also has a better panel control and therefore fewer devices with banding
I'll be watching movies mainly. With the Sony models, can you set to Filmmaker High mode and get a good picture with good blacks (in dark scenes), good shadow detail and accurate white balance without any additional adjustments?

Last edited:

michaelgordon

maybe ill get shot down here but unless you are a hardcore gamer (imho why would a hardcore gamer use a TV) the VRR will make the game smoother and reduce screen tearing, not that i have eve seen or noticed this in any console ever and the ALLM puts the picture mode to Game automatically which you can already do on Sony with auto picture mode.

From when i was looking at the same, the C1 will need a calibration to looks its best. The Sony will look good ootb and really good with a few tweaks.

I really now dont understand the fuss on the 'gaming features' of the LG. Im very glad i went with the best picture & motion handling of the Sony.

Smiffy 2

So for someone who mainly watches football/tv shows/movies and has a PS5 what should I go for, c1 or a80/84j?
I guess it depends on how much you game as to whether the additional gaming abilities of the C1 would appeal.
I have a PS4 but rarely game, so the Sony won it for me.
No complaints thus far.

Ruby

As I will be putting the TV in front of a window with curtains closed, I wanted check if all of the speakers are forward firing on the Sony? Any kind of backward firing speaker won't work in my situation.

I've never heard a TV with sound coming from the screen itself. Is it any good in terms high, mid and low frequencies?

Spec-Chum

As I will be putting the TV in front of a window with curtains closed, I wanted check if all of the speakers are forward firing on the Sony? Any kind of backward firing speaker won't work in my situation.

I've never heard a TV with sound coming from the screen itself. Is it any good in terms high, mid and low frequencies?
The sound is surprisingly excellent, as good as a low end soundbar, at least, and yes, they're forward firing.

I generally use my Denon, but I've watched a couple of things with the TV speakers, and it sounds far better than any other TV I've had.

The Virtual Surround Sound effect is quite effective, too.

Ruby

Thanks Spec-Chum. It still amazes me how they can pass quality sound through the TV screen. Even when looking at acoustically transparent projection screens, there is a loss of some high frequency sound that needs compensating for.

Smiffy 2

Still no UK catch-up services on the Sony, remember. "Coming Soon" - which they have been for around 6 months!
I access mine via my Bluray player.
Not too much of a problem
😉😉😉

dsingh1991

Novice Member
Thanks guys.

I have a ps4 currently but will be getting the ps5 for the new tv as I do play a few games such as fifa but i'm not a hardcore gamer, so the tv will mostly be used for watching shows and sports. So for me, picture quality is the most important which it seems like the sony has the edge over the c1.

The 65" is priced at £2,199. Does anyone think this will drop in Black Friday?

Heckie

Standard Member
Still no UK catch-up services on the Sony, remember. "Coming Soon" - which they have been for around 6 months!
That's crazy considering iPlayer, ITV Hub and My5 are available on the Google TV App Store (I have the Chromecast with GTV).

Ruby

Does anybody know how far apart the feet would on the 77" model of the A80J/A84J when it's in its narrowest configuration?

JohnnyMN

Does anybody know how far apart the feet would on the 77" model of the A80J/A84J when it's in its narrowest configuration?
Screenshot_20211022-104600~2.png

Tall_Paul

Distinguished Member
I had a question about using google voice- to control the TV. Is there a far field mic? or do I have to press a button and speak into the remote?
The A84j has the built in hands free mic, as well as the button on the remote. The A80J only has the button on the remote.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on UK streaming services for December 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Best Projectors of 2021 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Steve Withers
  • Published
Black Friday 2021: What you need to know
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray Special - The Cinema of Zhang Yimou & Gong Li