Sony A80/84J OLED Owners and Discussion Thread

KevRusski

Judder/stutter can be very individual....some are bothered by it more than others. I have all my motion settings off and never notice any stutter or judder whereas others turn theirs up as they're effected more. One of the reasons why I like Sony TV's is because their motion handling is second to none.
Well, I've gone and swapped out for the Sony. There will be stuff I miss from the LG, but hopefully as long as I have clean panel then I will hopefully be happy.
Something about the motion on the LG I didn't like. Paid £200 for an aerial upgrade today to ensure it wasn't the incoming signal strength. Still jumps after the odd scene change.
I probably game 30% of the time, so I hope we see some vrr update or I may end up frustrated. Only got a ps5.
Not sure if hgig is coming?

I don't think I'm bothered about 120hz gaming with a graphical cut. I think 60hz at 4k will be this gens realistic goal. I assume that ok on this set without big increase in lag.

I've taken the risk on the swap based on the motion being less glitchy. Better handling of 50hz material and upscaling, oh and less colour banding. If those are nailed I will be happy I think. I notice these things way more than if it's 120hz or 60hz or what the tone mapping is. Be nice for DV gaming at 60 4k tho.

Again I assume the UK apps will drop soon.
I've gambled on certain updates that will ultimately make the reviewers come back and say now there really is only one choice at this level......

Wish me luck.....and for us all. Haha

cbragwel

Novice Member
I'm looking at getting the A80j. I watch a lot of sports, so there's usually static elements on the screen. This TV dims the whole screen to help protect from burn-in. When it dims the screen, how noticeable is it? I want to watch my sports in all their HD glory.

Ains

I'm looking at getting the A80j. I watch a lot of sports, so there's usually static elements on the screen. This TV dims the whole screen to help protect from burn-in. When it dims the screen, how noticeable is it? I want to watch my sports in all their HD glory.
You don't have to go back very far in this thread to read about this issue on a number of occasions. In summary, it isn't a problem. As always, buy online so you can send it back if your experience is different.

KevRusski

My new a80 has just arrived,. While stood at the side of it the wife immediately pointed out that screen has a convex / shape to the front, as if the front panel is slightly flexed inwards just off centre from bottom to about two thirds up?

Its not massive but the reflection of carpet in front of us definitely goes off funny whereas elsewhere it's clean.

How normal?

Smudger558

Not normal if you don't think it's right send it back we pay a lot of money for these tellies don't stand for anything other than perfect

cbragwel

Novice Member
You don't have to go back very far in this thread to read about this issue on a number of occasions. In summary, it isn't a problem. As always, buy online so you can send it back if your experience is different.
Thank you very much

KevRusski

Ok, so I've set it all up. I dig some digging on the front of my Panel, as it's not entirely flat or uniform. On the Sony forum some chap who seems a regular or down as being an expert, whatever that is, says the front will not be absolutely true and flat. This is all pert of the sound actuator tech with the way it's inbuilt.

I probably wouldn't have even noticed it but the wife pointed it out. Anyway it's not visible once up, and doesn't seem to have any effect on PQ.

Panel has some darker lines on the grey test and to the right hand side, hopefully not going to be visible on panning shots like football, didn't notice anything with normal viewing so far but not had more than 30mins. I've heard these can reduce over time.

My first impressions are this is the TV I wanted. I will provide feedback in a few days but something about it feels like it delivers. Simple to the user, but effective.
It needs those updates we all know about, vrr and iPlayer etc.

I will miss some aspects of the lgc1, it's was a great punchy picture. Good remote, all the bells and whistles, but first impressions are the Sonys processing is making the difference, colour gradation is visibly better from the off too.

Be back asap.

jaysonrain

Ok, so I've set it all up. I dig some digging on the front of my Panel, as it's not entirely flat or uniform. On the Sony forum some chap who seems a regular or down as being an expert, whatever that is, says the front will not be absolutely true and flat. This is all pert of the sound actuator tech with the way it's inbuilt.

I probably wouldn't have even noticed it but the wife pointed it out. Anyway it's not visible once up, and doesn't seem to have any effect on PQ.

Panel has some darker lines on the grey test and to the right hand side, hopefully not going to be visible on panning shots like football, didn't notice anything with normal viewing so far but not had more than 30mins. I've heard these can reduce over time.

My first impressions are this is the TV I wanted. I will provide feedback in a few days but something about it feels like it delivers. Simple to the user, but effective.
It needs those updates we all know about, vrr and iPlayer etc.

I will miss some aspects of the lgc1, it's was a great punchy picture. Good remote, all the bells and whistles, but first impressions are the Sonys processing is making the difference, colour gradation is visibly better from the off too.

Be back asap.
Interesting read.

I’ve purchased the 55” LC G1. To be honest I’m disappointed with the motion control. I notice big motion blur around players when watching football on BBC 1 HD. I also notice lots of blurring when playing FIFA 22 on my PS5. The only way to stop it is to set the motion handling to high, but that makes the picture really dark with no way to increase it.

So I’m now looking at the Sony A80J as an alternative. I know it only has 2 HDMI ports and is missing some of the gaming add on the LG has. But for me motion blur is such a deal breaker that I’m tempted to swap.

KevRusski

Interesting read.

I’ve purchased the 55” LC G1. To be honest I’m disappointed with the motion control. I notice big motion blur around players when watching football on BBC 1 HD. I also notice lots of blurring when playing FIFA 22 on my PS5. The only way to stop it is to set the motion handling to high, but that makes the picture really dark with no way to increase it.

So I’m now looking at the Sony A80J as an alternative. I know it only has 2 HDMI ports and is missing some of the gaming add on the LG has. But for me motion blur is such a deal breaker that I’m tempted to swap.
if you give me the weekend I can update.

I have put a call into richer sounds regarding the convex area on the panel. I might contact sony too. With the tv on you dont notice anything, while its off you can pick it up with the distortion of the reflections. Anyone else got this, if you dare look.

I struggled with the motion on the C1 to be honest, and I felt it was glitchy. Give me a few days and I could let you know about football etc but at the moment it feels easier on the eye.

Ive taken the gamble on vrr and Iplayer etc.......they better deliver...

Last edited:

jaysonrain

I have put a call into richer sounds regarding the convex area on the panel. I might contact sony too. With the tv on you dont notice anything, while its off you can pick it up with the distortion of the reflections. Anyone else got this, if you dare look.

I struggled with the motion on the C1 to be honest, and I felt it was glitchy. Give me a few days and I could let you know about football etc but at the moment it feels easier on the eye.

Cheers, that would be great.

50W

Mine is being delivered today, so if I notice the screen concern, I'll let you know.

KevRusski

from avsforums, the screens are not entirely straight, cant really tell on mine now its on the wall

IMG_20210923_144749691.jpg

Last edited:

KevRusski

from avsforums, the screens are not entirely straight, cant really tell on mine now its on the wall
ok, this is good news, I`m trying to upload a video of it, struggling to get it to upload though. When I look at the screen from the front with the tv off and move my head side to side I can see the reflection distort like a fun house mirror. its like a convex strip in the middle. Seems normal then.
I will see if I can upload the video. I couldnt see any reference to it on avsforum.....

KevRusski

Updated..........................................

Richer sounds came back to me and said they also asked a couple of other stores (probably one) haha, and they said the sets they have on display are not completely even.

tweaked some other settings.

Sky go app and tv through the aerial (720p and SD) are definitely improved over my C1. This includes football.

HD looks about the same, im sort of tempted to say not quite as good but I think its because ive not got that instant uplift when seeing a HD signal on 4k tv (with having the LG already). I think its also because the picture feels a bit more natural.

Not got to any 4k material yet.

Matte screen has its pros and cons, reflection not as bright (easier to ignore that chrome light switch!) but its right that with direct light on it, it does wash out the blacks. That is in the day mind you and the alternative is more reflection imo. Its not bothering me.

One thing I may be imagining, the picture felt a bit grainy on 1080 HD with the LG, but this seems a little more grainy, and little more ringing around static text. I could be imagining this being worse than the LG (although only slightly), but is their a setting to help or change this?????

Nice and easy to set up, settings do feel like they do something.

PS4 Spiderman, doesn't really seem any different, maybe LG has a small edge.
Apart from Game mode, is their anything else to do to avoid lag?

ps. Its mad that whilst flicking about testing, on homes under the hammer you can see the dust/particles on the camera they filmed the programme with!.. That's some detail...

still happy overall just with how much easier it seems to be on my eye with the motion.

Last edited:

KevRusski

I've been offered an exchange, just determining whether I should bother.

I have constant battle with OCD/anxiety and I'm just trying to determine whether I'm being unreasonable, some will say I am, some won't! My luck goes that exchange it and the next one be worse!
I can't see any noticeable picture issue from it. Its more a case of how normal is it.

Got to say though, it's a fabulous TV. Things could always be better, I feel I've dialed it more to my liking now and it has a bit more punch. 4kdolby vision wreck it Ralph tonight was perfect.

The menus seem dark (home menu) I assume this is deliberate. And I have seen some image retention I never saw on the LG on 3 occasions. I think i prefer a clear gloss front for day viewing too.

However, while not having the razzamataz of the LG it just feels easier to watch, easier to work through, not as glitchy with the picture and the menus and that's the deal for me.

I had been told it delivered a sharper picture, but to me, with that matte front it seems softer. This may seem mad but about 17 years ago when LCD HD (720p) was coming mainstream I paid £1000 for a Panasonic, 32" !!!!! That had a matte screen and I always felt it softened the picture. Still got that set too.

So for the chap who wanted advice on whether to switch, it's not all one way, but I I'm glad I did. I will watch some BBC football at the weekend and let you know how that goes. Just bear in mind it's awaiting the iPlayer etc app.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for November 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
PrimaLuna debuts Evo 300 Hybrid integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Astell&Kern announces AK ZERO1 in ear monitor
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
McIntosh launches MI1250 power amplifier