Sony A80/84J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Just to add on the apps on the xf90 I always watched Amazon through the apple TV box as picture was much better than through the tvs Amazon app....the A80j appears better in this respect so I've sort of put the apple box aside for now especially as the TV also has the apple app

I'll be honest I'm not a gamer and I watch all Netflix Amazon etc directly through the apps on the TV but I have one lot of settings for programs in HD/SDR and all other programs invariably on Netflix are Dolby vision which automatically sets the TV into Dolby vision dark or light. I've also now have pro 1 and pro 2 settings where I have slightly different settings to custom which is what I'm on most of the time. To be honest compared to the xf90 I had there isn't much tinkering with picture settings that have to be done....it's almost quite boring as half the fun on a new tv is playing around with the settings but the A80j is almost bang on out the box
I assume your pro 1 and 2 settings are effectively pushed to the side when Dolby vision is auto engaged then....if that makes sense. You choose if it's dark or light, or us that automatically done too?
Thanks

I assume your pro 1 and 2 settings are effectively pushed to the side when Dolby vision is auto engaged then....if that makes sense. You choose if it's dark or light, or us that automatically done too?
Thanks
Pro 1 and 2 basically gives you two additional settings that can be tweaked as one sees fit....Dolby vision is automatically applied and yes you can choose between either to suit your environment....I always have it on light as that suits my living room....I also believe by getting pro 1 and 2 it opens up additional colour settings although these I tend not to play around with as all panels are different and what suits one panel may not suit another

Just to add on the apps on the xf90 I always watched Amazon through the apple TV box as picture was much better than through the tvs Amazon app....the A80j appears better in this respect so I've sort of put the apple box aside for now especially as the TV also has the apple app
Don't sell the apple tv just yet. You might return to it after a week weeks.

It's less crash prone than google tv. Furthermore it has better multitasking. When you reopen any, you return exactly where you left off.

Don't sell the apple tv just yet. You might return to it after a week weeks.

It's less crash prone than google tv. Furthermore it has better multitasking. When you reopen any, you return exactly where you left off.
Lol no I won't be getting shot of it....thankfully so far I've had no issues with the TV or its apps but I agree always handy to have a back up......

Lol no I won't be getting shot of it....thankfully so far I've had no issues with the TV or its apps but I agree always handy to have a back up......
When I bought my XH95 last earlier this year, we used google tv for a couple of weeks before my partner asked for thr ATV to be plugged back in 😆

When I bought my XH95 last earlier this year, we used google tv for a couple of weeks before my partner asked for thr ATV to be plugged back in 😆
😂😂 My Mrs has no say on the TVs....if left to her we'd still be watching a box advertised by Andre Previn....showing my age now lol...I'm sure he advertised a TV with the best picture of all time haha

Yeh, Vincent didn't show it on normal viewing, but he had FIFA on and after a while the whole screen dimmed significantly because if the static bars. I just wondered if this had been encountered as I do play footie games +and it then occurred to me about real football matches).
Got a link for this and timestamp?

Hi All - I currently own a Sony 55XF9005 and I am thinking of updating it (and moving our current tv to another room). In the past I have been tempted by OLED, but have been put off by the dreaded swear word "b****n".
Having seen LG recently providing a 2-5yr screen warranty (that could possibly cover burn-in) on their G1 range, I am quite tempted, however it seems the Sony A80J is the better option when considering an all rounder. The tv will be used for Sky, Netflix, ATV and some PS5 gaming.

Those of you that have purchased the Sony A80J, have you considered "screen issues" as a concern or are you happy to jump in with both feet and accept it for what it is? Has anyone gone with John Lewis and purchased the Domestic and General warranty on top, with the chance they will indeed honour any "screen issues"?

Otherwise my other thought is to play it safe and go with a Sony X90J LED.

Thanks.

Hi All - I currently own a Sony 55XF9005 and I am thinking of updating it (and moving our current tv to another room). In the past I have been tempted by OLED, but have been put off by the dreaded swear word "b****n".
Having seen LG recently providing a 2-5yr screen warranty (that could possibly cover burn-in) on their G1 range, I am quite tempted, however it seems the Sony A80J is the better option when considering an all rounder. The tv will be used for Sky, Netflix, ATV and some PS5 gaming.

Those of you that have purchased the Sony A80J, have you considered "screen issues" as a concern or are you happy to jump in with both feet and accept it for what it is? Has anyone gone with John Lewis and purchased the Domestic and General warranty on top, with the chance they will indeed honour any "screen issues"?

Thanks.
Personally I wouldn't touch the XJ90....not a patch in the XF90.... unfortunately led TVs have been digressing over the last few years....in regard to burn in unless you specifically sit there and watch a program with permanent motives on the screen it shouldn't be an issue to worry about.....I jumped in with both feet by way of getting a A80J with a multitude of concerns...brightness...burn in etc... and coming from a XF90... and so glad I did..best move I ever made

Personally I wouldn't touch the XJ90....not a patch in the XF90.... unfortunately led TVs have been digressing over the last few years....in regard to burn in unless you specifically sit there and watch a program with permanent motives on the screen it shouldn't be an issue to worry about.....I jumped in with both feet by way of getting a A80J with a multitude of concerns...brightness...burn in etc... and coming from a XF90... and so glad I did..best move I ever made
Thanks for your reply and your comments. I am getting to the stage whereby I shouldn't over think it and just do it, but it's always good to hear some positives!

Thanks for your reply and your comments. I am getting to the stage whereby I shouldn't over think it and just do it, but it's always good to hear some positives!
Oled is different and because you already have a great TV it does make you overthink...my worry was spending a fortune for something only as good as what I already had lol.....i don't feel so bad when I get my credit card bill now 😂

i came from a 65xf to a 65A80j have not regretted it a bit. Burn in was a major issue for me but i spent a lot of time reading and while it was and could still be an issue its not that big a deal now, just dont keep anything static for an extended period of time.

I’ve got an XF90 and plan to upgrade to A80J soon, just waiting to move house.

I’ve zero worries about burn-in, the A80J looks like best bang for buck TV this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks.

If you're concerned about burn in then you could purchase from John Lewis as their protect plus covers it. Worth it imo for some peace of mind.

I get this might be a daft question but seeing as my current TV is quite old....
But if watching Netflix through the ps5 I would need to set up a different picture pre-set for watching those type of apps rather than gaming/game mode.

I assume this would be easily switchable and save-able.

Thanks

No app in on the Ps5 supports 4k and DV/DA.

When I watch a 4k bluray on my Ps5 I need to manually switch off game mode.

If you're concerned about burn in then you could purchase from John Lewis as their protect plus covers it. Worth it imo for some peace of mind.
I had mentioned that in my post - "Has anyone gone with John Lewis and purchased the Domestic and General warranty on top, with the chance they will indeed honour any "screen issues"?"

I appreciate your reply and comments.

Got a link for this and timestamp?

Go to just after 11mins. Should see fifa on screen.

Thoughts?

Using a ps5 do you think this vrr, gsync on a tv will be a must down the line, Sony have promised the update but.....I've heard that before. Maybe it's not that relevant but I'm pretty sure the ps5 will get it......

Go to just after 11mins. Should see fifa on screen.

Thoughts?

Using a ps5 do you think this vrr, gsync on a tv will be a must down the line, Sony have promised the update but.....I've heard that before. Maybe it's not that relevant but I'm pretty sure the ps5 will get it......

Yeah I see what you mean, maybe they can fix it with a firmware update.

I've asked about abl in here before when the euros was on and someone said they didn't see it.

I think SDR brightness can't be changed on the LG Tvs either in gaming compared to Sony so there's pros and cons to both tvs. I would look at LG tvs though if your mostly going to be gaming.

I'm not really bothered about VRR. Still have no idea what it's meant to do, seems like it's aimed at FPS / xbox games which I don't play anyway. 120hz is good enough imo and they will probably release Vrr one day in an update.

I had mentioned that in my post - "Has anyone gone with John Lewis and purchased the Domestic and General warranty on top, with the chance they will indeed honour any "screen issues"?"

I appreciate your reply and comments.
So you did 🤦🏻‍♂️. Genuinely missed that. Is it Friday yet? 😂

I've asked about abl in here before when the euros was on and someone said they didn't see it.

I think SDR brightness can't be changed on the LG Tvs either in gaming compared to Sony so there's pros and cons to both tvs. I would look at LG tvs though if your mostly going to be gaming.

I'm not really bothered about VRR. Still have no idea what it's meant to do, seems like it's aimed at FPS / xbox games which I don't play anyway. 120hz is good enough imo and they will probably release Vrr one day in an update.
more about Xbox and pc. However, it's unthinkable that it won't come to ps5. But thinkable it will be poorly implemented or not implemented at all.
These things will be important in gaming going forward as the tech gets pushed harder.....

I get this might be a daft question but seeing as my current TV is quite old....
But if watching Netflix through the ps5 I would need to set up a different picture pre-set for watching those type of apps rather than gaming/game mode.

I assume this would be easily switchable and save-able.

Thanks
If you set up the TV for google tv, you will probably rather use the Netflix app there. Google tv works very well on this TV. That would also solve your tv settings issue. Although you do typically have to adjust your settings in each app, but only once then they are saved. You can use the voice command feature of the remote and say Netflix and the name of the show or movie and it will pull it up quite quickly. Google tv definitely works better for streaming than any of my outboard gear.

Thanks.
I had an a8H for 12 months but made the mistake of buying it from Currys so only came with a 12 month warranty. I decided I didn't want to take any risk so I bought the A80J this year and got it from John Lewis for exactly the reasons you suggest - 5 year warranty and I bought the screen protection for an added £140. I feel much happier knowing that such an expensive bit of kit is protected

I can't speak on gaming and ABL as I never do it, but I can absolutely tell you that I've never seem any ABL kick in while watching football. This isn't a "sensitivity" thing either - I sold a previous AF8 for exactly that reason - full screen dimming with any screen scoreboards, footie, rugby, anything.

I have Peak Luminance on Medium - it's possible that it may happen if it's on High, but I watched a recent game on Sky UHD (which kicks in the HDR and therefore moves the PL to high by default) and it didn't happen there either.

I suspect that if gaming is important to you, then an LG would always be the better choice all round, but I don't speak from experience.

Bought my first ever oled this week and decided to go with the 55 inch A80J, amazing so far!

There's so many picture settings I can change, can anyone recommend a good place to get calibration settings? Maybe I should look on the AVS forum?

I noticed that prime video in 4k isn't that good compared to netflix, anyone else noticing that too? I used to use a firestick 4k, maybe I need to check on there.

Is the max bitrate in netflix 15.25mbps for 4k content? I noticed some things look better than other things. Watching clickbait in DV and there's a bit of noise, any settings I can use to reduce that?

I was worried about brightness with oled but can change so many settings to make the TV brighter if I wanted so that's really cool! Reflections aren't as bad as I thought either, I think this semi gloss screen really helps with that - don't know why people would want to avoid it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom