Sony A80/84J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Just ordered a 77inch A80j from John Lewis and delivery will be next Friday . (Next delivery to the Isle of Wight) 😩 I’ve taken the plunge on Sony ( it’s the only make in tv I’ve never owned!) coming from a 55inch LG C7 . Hope it’s a good one!🤞🏻

Just ordered a 77inch A80j from John Lewis and delivery will be next Friday . (Next delivery to the Isle of Wight) 😩 I’ve taken the plunge on Sony ( it’s the only make in tv I’ve never owned!) coming from a 55inch LG C7 . Hope it’s a good one!🤞🏻
you’ll never want another brand good choice.

I’m in 2 minds about reality creation. Do people use it for HDR and Dolby vision?
ive seen a few receivers that leave it on auto or manual 20. What’s the general opinion?

Had a bit of a film weekend and have some thoughts, this TV is excellent, watched Avengers on UHD disc and wow, it was the first time i thought that this is definately a much better TV than the XF, also suicide squad was great again on UHD disc.

Watching Zack Snyder Justice league and its so drab and grey and glum i can only think this was his intrentiaon as same settings.

Does anyone have views on the Dolby vision presets? Im not sure they look that good or i need to look at the settings more as they are basically the same as my sdr/hdr settings (rtings) until someone can share a calibrated 65 inch settings.

I watched Guardians 1 on Disney+ and while it was a good picture it was missing something, sort of like the other Dolby vision programes on Netflix while i was running it in. It not a brightness thing, its plenty bright where it needs to be i just dont think it pops like other content and as there are only three presets i wish i could use my other hdr settings to compare against. I know Sony had issues with the DV on the XF and it was fixed with a firmware update.

Had a bit of a film weekend and have some thoughts, this TV is excellent, watched Avengers on UHD disc and wow, it was the first time i thought that this is definately a much better TV than the XF, also suicide squad was great again on UHD disc.

Watching Zack Snyder Justice league and its so drab and grey and glum i can only think this was his intrentiaon as same settings.

Does anyone have views on the Dolby vision presets? Im not sure they look that good or i need to look at the settings more as they are basically the same as my sdr/hdr settings (rtings) until someone can share a calibrated 65 inch settings.

I watched Guardians 1 on Disney+ and while it was a good picture it was missing something, sort of like the other Dolby vision programes on Netflix while i was running it in. It not a brightness thing, its plenty bright where it needs to be i just dont think it pops like other content and as there are only three presets i wish i could use my other hdr settings to compare against. I know Sony had issues with the DV on the XF and it was fixed with a firmware update.

I left Dolby vision settings on bright room as they are. I think reality creation on manual 20 should be left on for DV and HDR - try it on a pause scene with lots of detail and you will see what I mean.
I also turn motion off completely.

cheers, ill take a look. Igts the one thing for me that lets the TV down. While its not a game changer, i can turn off Dolby vision on my player if any discs look the same and just have HDR it would be nice to have a complete package.

Motion is unreal i have on custom min min and havent felt the need to change yet, maybe when the football starts but not yet.

I think i have reality creation off or manual 20 id have to check. Not somerthing ive really played with.

I do wonder though with turning all the video processing options off to get a 'as intended' picture to a D65 or whatever default WP Sony does, are we missing out on some of the XR processing or with them off is the processor given more room to do what it can do without trying to also cope with addidytional.

cheers, ill take a look. Igts the one thing for me that lets the TV down. While its not a game changer, i can turn off Dolby vision on my player if any discs look the same and just have HDR it would be nice to have a complete package.

Motion is unreal i have on custom min min and havent felt the need to change yet, maybe when the football starts but not yet.

I think i have reality creation off or manual 20 id have to check. Not somerthing ive really played with.

I do wonder though with turning all the video processing options off to get a 'as intended' picture to a D65 or whatever default WP Sony does, are we missing out on some of the XR processing or with them off is the processor given more room to do what it can do without trying to also cope with addidytional.
I have always usually turned processing off but reality creation even on 4K content helps bring out details I feel.
Is there much difference with motion settings on min as opposed to off?

Hi guys, hope someone can help. The TV is connected to an aerial for digital tv. Is it not possible to access the red button on BBC1? There is no response when I press the red button. Thanks

Always go with physical disc picture is so much better watch captain america cival war snd its knight and day difference.

Hi Everyone, I signed up just to ask if anyone can confirm if the Sony 77-inch XR A80J has a gigabit ethernet port, or a 100mbit? None of the specifications seem to list this which makes me suss, and lead to believe it is still only 100mbit.

I have a Sony KD-75X8500E and it only has 100mbit. Playing 4k sucks, because it keeps stopping to buffer because the network is too slow. The only way around it is to use wifi which connects slowly and causes other issues.

Hi Everyone, I signed up just to ask if anyone can confirm if the Sony 77-inch XR A80J has a gigabit ethernet port, or a 100mbit? None of the specifications seem to list this which makes me suss, and lead to believe it is still only 100mbit.

I have a Sony KD-75X8500E and it only has 100mbit. Playing 4k sucks, because it keeps stopping to buffer because the network is too slow. The only way around it is to use wifi which connects slowly and causes other issues.
Do any of your other devices buffer when watching 4k?

i dont believe it has a gigabit port. People in the US are buying USB 3.0 to ethernet adaptors to overcome the limitation of the built in port. I also got one as my cable was about 5cm too short to reach the built in port so had no choice.

I have always usually turned processing off but reality creation even on 4K content helps bring out details I feel.
Is there much difference with motion settings on min as opposed to off?

Not sure i noticed any difference with reality creation on auto, manual 20 or off.

Also didnt really see any difference with motion set to off or custom min min (which i thought was off)

Not sure i noticed any difference with reality creation on auto, manual 20 or off.

Also didnt really see any difference with motion set to off or custom min min (which i thought was off)
Motion at custom min min the only thing I noticed was judder on the sky q app but none with it off so I left it off.
reality creation if you find a decent scene in high quality and pause and un-pause while up close you will see what it’s doing - minimal but worth having on I would say.

Me neither.

I can confirm it is only a 100 m/bit ethernet port on the A80J 55", got mine wired in and the hub indicates its only 100 m/bit. I read somewhere that this is sufficient for 4K HDR content as it reaches about 80 m/bit max

So do you know if it has a gigabit port or not?

That's what I want to know. Not if you buffer or not in netflix thanks.
It's definitely not gigabit. 100 m/b is way more than you would need to stream 4k HDR so whatever your problem is, it's not that. Have you checked your actual speed to the TV?

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom