Sony A80/84J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

How do people have luminance on high and backlight at max and on SDR? I’ve got mine on halfway and it’s blinding

For sdr I'm on brightness 42 gamma 0 and luminance off, was way too bright with the luminance on.

Looks quite good, can't see any problems with it but I've been at it all afternoon.

For sdr I'm on brightness 42 gamma 0 and luminance off, was way too bright with the luminance on.

Looks quite good, can't see any problems with it but I've been at it all afternoon.

Congrats on the new telly! Eager to hear how you'd compare it to the XF aside from the brightness you mentioned earlier. :)

The XF already did a great job of upscaling and general picture processing, would you say the A80J is a massive set up from that?

Would you recommend the upgrade?

Congrats on the new telly! Eager to hear how you'd compare it to the XF aside from the brightness you mentioned earlier. :)

The XF already did a great job of upscaling and general picture processing, would you say the A80J is a massive set up from that?

Would you recommend the upgrade?
Cheers

i dont watch any broadcast TV so dont have sky/virgin/freeview. i do watch 5 on catchup app now and again and did this morning and noticed that the picture did look better less like a TV program.

Its definately not as bright as the XF but im not sure that is a bad thing, its different. I am running it in and have Cursed on Netflix thats DV and its not blindingly bright but is where its needed fire for example really stands out against the night time scene and pops. Still playing with the settings for it but changing colour temp to warm and gamma to 0/2 dose brighten it up a little but i cant remember if gamma should be -2 for HDR content, ill have to look it up later.

Im wondering now if this is what DV should be like as it almost on the XF seemed to brighten and pop everything, not that it was a bad picture i loved my XF best Tv ive ever had or seen in person.

Ill likely watch some SDR stuff on prime/netflix but from the quick test i did the upscaling is really good defiantly a better picture compared to the XF how much not sure yet, havent quite settled on my setting for that yet.

What i am noticing is there is more detail & clarity and that ticks my box (just how i like my speakers & headphones) again looking at cursed can see more and more within a scene like there is a feathered coat can see individual feathers and the tips moving in breeze and colours stand out more id say it is definitely a better overall picture i just need to get use to the fact its not backlit and dial in the setting correctly. I cant see a reason not to sell the XF and i may use the funds to get the calman software and a meter and learn calibration (as ive put in the XF thread) or if Vincent is going to start doing visit again get him to do it as roughly same cost but if i do that i dont learn and cant play about.

Long post i know and i have a habit of this but i like to be critical of big new purchases and typing things out like this makes me think am i seeing what i want as ive spent a great deal of money or is it worth it. Given a number of people have said the picture will change after its run in ill do 100 hours or so and reassess but that its only likely to get better its already very good as good as the XF then yes i think im happy.

Cheers

i dont watch any broadcast TV so dont have sky/virgin/freeview. i do watch 5 on catchup app now and again and did this morning and noticed that the picture did look better less like a TV program.

Its definately not as bright as the XF but im not sure that is a bad thing, its different. I am running it in and have Cursed on Netflix thats DV and its not blindingly bright but is where its needed fire for example really stands out against the night time scene and pops. Still playing with the settings for it but changing colour temp to warm and gamma to 0/2 dose brighten it up a little but i cant remember if gamma should be -2 for HDR content, ill have to look it up later.

Im wondering now if this is what DV should be like as it almost on the XF seemed to brighten and pop everything, not that it was a bad picture i loved my XF best Tv ive ever had or seen in person.

Ill likely watch some SDR stuff on prime/netflix but from the quick test i did the upscaling is really good defiantly a better picture compared to the XF how much not sure yet, havent quite settled on my setting for that yet.

What i am noticing is there is more detail & clarity and that ticks my box (just how i like my speakers & headphones) again looking at cursed can see more and more within a scene like there is a feathered coat can see individual feathers and the tips moving in breeze and colours stand out more id say it is definitely a better overall picture i just need to get use to the fact its not backlit and dial in the setting correctly. I cant see a reason not to sell the XF and i may use the funds to get the calman software and a meter and learn calibration (as ive put in the XF thread) or if Vincent is going to start doing visit again get him to do it as roughly same cost but if i do that i dont learn and cant play about.

Long post i know and i have a habit of this but i like to be critical of big new purchases and typing things out like this makes me think am i seeing what i want as ive spent a great deal of money or is it worth it. Given a number of people have said the picture will change after its run in ill do 100 hours or so and reassess but that its only likely to get better its already very good as good as the XF then yes i think im happy.

gamma at 0 for HDR content to give you 2.2 gamma. -2 gives you 2.4 ideal for SDR content

If you have a receiver .on the A80J there is the option to have pasthrough on or off , which do you use? My receiver isn’t earc, I know you switch earc off and use ordinary arc, but then you have a choice of pass through on or off.

Last edited:
Have you decided on the 77 A80J then. I’m like you at the moment and can’t decide on a a90j 65 or jump up to a 77inch A80j ?? I’m coming from an LG oled C7 and don’t know whether to play safe and go C1🤷‍♂️ My worries are I’ve never owned a Sony!!
I haven't decided yet but I think the A80J makes more sense considering the big difference in price for what seems like quite a small gain.

I've had a Sony KD-65A1 since it came out and I remain very pleased with the picture quality, although dark scenes recently seem to show less detail for some reason.

Cheers

No that's perfect. Thanks for the detailed reply! :)

@WanderingMystery they say a picture can speak a thousand words, well here are some pics. The wall mount is the A80 the bottom the XF. I got curious if it was my eyes or was there a difference ok its not side by side but to me the XF does look a little washed out there are more details in the 80

This was the Dolby vision setting I was using and Dolby vision bright colour temp warm everything off luminence on high and they are both very similar setting wise.

Attachments

• IMG_20210714_154230~2.jpg
    IMG_20210714_154230~2.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 427
  • IMG_20210714_154348~2.jpg
    IMG_20210714_154348~2.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 354
  • IMG_20210714_154607~2.jpg
    IMG_20210714_154607~2.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_20210714_154720~2.jpg
    IMG_20210714_154720~2.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_20210714_154937~2.jpg
    IMG_20210714_154937~2.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_20210714_155336~2.jpg
    IMG_20210714_155336~2.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_20210714_155350~2.jpg
    IMG_20210714_155350~2.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_20210714_155352~2.jpg
    IMG_20210714_155352~2.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 350
@WanderingMystery they say a picture can speak a thousand words, well here are some pics. The wall mount is the A80 the bottom the XF. I got curious if it was my eyes or was there a difference ok its not side by side but to me the XF does look a little washed out there are more details in the 80

This was the Dolby vision setting I was using and Dolby vision bright colour temp warm everything off luminence on high and they are both very similar setting wise.

Thanks for the comparison pictures! As you say, it certainly does speak for itself. The A80J has more richness to the image. I'm sure it's nice to no longer see any blooming! I think this is getting me closer to thinking about upgrading but I'm still not decided on the A80J or LG C1. If Sony can deliver VRR, ALLM and bring the gaming side of things up to par, then I may go for that as I primarily just game on my set.

I know you mentioned the A80J isn't as bright compared to the XF. I was thinking whether I'd notice the difference in brightness personally as even in HDR, I have energy saving set to low, BFI set to clearness 1 and gamma occasionally at -2 during the evening. I wonder whether that would be on par with what an A80J can produce in terms of nits.

Last edited:
You need to look at certain parts I find some of the highlights can really stand out it's the xr processor doing it's job and I used to watch a xe9405 which was supposed to have 1250 nits. It seems that some of marketing nonsense actually does what it says on the tin 😃

I'm not as concerned today about the brightness. It was just Dolby vision wasn't as bright but doing that side by side and also watching some bits it's really good

Watching American God's uhd with sdr settings is just lovely. Such a good pic

@WanderingMystery if you haven't already try a visit to richer sounds as you should be able to have a proper viewing and a play with the settings, I did and it made my mind up. I put the C1 in filmmaker mode turned all the options off, did the same with the Sony and custom and the pic was much better on the Sony. I try not to be lg biased but the colours seemed more real and better image on the Sony.

I don't game well not too much few hours a week on a ps5 so the gaming edge that the C1 seems to get in reviews was a non issue for me.

Does anyone keep the smooth gradation on? I’ve switched it off because I don’t want to loose detail but I’ve seen some reviews leave it on. Does anyone like Vincent T suggest leaving it on?

@WanderingMystery if you haven't already try a visit to richer sounds as you should be able to have a proper viewing and a play with the settings, I did and it made my mind up. I put the C1 in filmmaker mode turned all the options off, did the same with the Sony and custom and the pic was much better on the Sony. I try not to be lg biased but the colours seemed more real and better image on the Sony.

I don't game well not too much few hours a week on a ps5 so the gaming edge that the C1 seems to get in reviews was a non issue for me.
I hope you turned the brightness up on the Lg before comparing it ,as Filmmaker standard settings are for a dark environment

My new 55A83J just arrived. Going from a 10 years old LG 37' LCD I was blown away by the picture quality. Brightness is more than enough, if anything I have to see how to turn it down while playing PS4 Pro it was a little too much brighter for me. Only tested for 15 minutes but first impressions were amazing. Have to play around a bit with settings.
I was also surprised by sound quality, I will still connect to my stereo speakers but while before I was incapable of watching TV if it wasn't with some kind of stereo or soundbar, this one did all the set up and tested without any external sound system and was ok.

Attachments

• IMAG1862.jpg
    IMAG1862.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 341
  • IMAG1861.jpg
    IMAG1861.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 377
Well, I now have Sony 65ZD9 in my home sitting below my Panasonic 65GZ OLED.

Based on a quick comparison, OLED wins hands down. Yes, the ZD9 can pump light and does get bright but ultimately (to me) its all about light control and this is where LCD TVs fails and falls flat.

Bright HDR scenes is where the ZD9 shines but once again its not way ahead of the OLED. Overall, OLED produces a more balanced stable image with more contrast, depth and saturation.

Last edited:
Could anyone share best settings for watching Movies/Series on Netflix,Prime, Amazon and for gaming?
Going from a 10 years old LCD to a brand 2021 OLED it has so many settings one can do that I have no clue what to put maybe if I could spend a day watching TV and playing with the settings I would get there but until I have the time to do that would like a good setting to enjoy the TV until I can customize it to my liking.
Thank you

Could anyone share best settings for watching Movies/Series on Netflix,Prime, Amazon and for gaming?
Going from a 10 years old LCD to a brand 2021 OLED it has so many settings one can do that I have no clue what to put maybe if I could spend a day watching TV and playing with the settings I would get there but until I have the time to do that would like a good setting to enjoy the TV until I can customize it to my liking.
Thank you
If you scroll a few pages back you should find the settings from a website called Rtings. Don’t use the white balance or colour settings but use the rest. Should have your tv looking great in no time.

Well, I now have Sony 65ZD9 in my home sitting below my Panasonic 65GZ OLED.

Based on a quick comparison, OLED wins hands down. Yes, the ZD9 can pump light and does get bright but ultimately (to me) its all about light control and this is where LCD TVs fails and falls flat.

Bright HDR scenes is where the ZD9 shines but once again its not way ahead of the OLED. Overall, OLED produces a more balanced stable image with more contrast, depth and saturation.
I love my ZF9 despite it's rep. Games in HDR look insane and that's where the brightness really shines but I can't deny missing those inky blacks when I'm watching films in a dark room late at night. Do you have your eye on the 77inch A80J? I think it will be my next TV. I can currently get it for £3500 but I think I'm going to wait a while longer.

Ok guys. Please ignore my comparison post above comparing ZD9 and OLED.

I messed up inputting calibrated settings and also motion flow custom had clearness set to high value which was dimming the image significantly.

I updated the correct calibration values for HDR. Now it's back to how it should be and wowser. It is blindingly bright and intense. Very minimal blooming.

Will do more comparison when time permits.

OLED still has better depth and saturation but bright scenes look breathtaking and razor sharp.

Ok guys. Please ignore my comparison post above comparing ZD9 and OLED.

I messed up inputting calibrated settings and also motion flow custom had clearness set to high value which was dimming the image significantly.

I updated the correct calibration values for HDR. Now it's back to how it should be and wowser. It is blindingly bright and intense. Very minimal blooming.

Will do more comparison when time permits.

OLED still has better depth and saturation but bright scenes look breathtaking and razor sharp.

don’t forget to turn energy savings off too 👍🏻

Getting used to the pic now. i dont think the TV is dark, i just think its the content, im using the RTings setting for SDR & HDR on custom & custom for pro 1 with the only difference being gamma.

Watching American Gods 4k SDR and its lovely colours really pop and dark where it needs to be, switching to man in high castle UHD & HDR and that is dark but is it the intention that it be that dark? Switching to Grand Tour UHD HDR and wow, i dont remeber it looking this good and its very bright in th opening scene of ep1 in the desert. Think ill rewatch this it looks so good.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom