Sony A80/84J OLED Owners and Discussion Thread

BlackSpider777

Anyone here tried the Dolby Vision gaming through the Xbox Series X? if so how is the input lag as the A80J doesn't have Dolby Vision Game Mode.

Thanks.

sheraz_uk

Set my 77 up last night.
First impressions are
The 77 doesn't feel as big as I expected coming from a 65, maybe should have considered the 83 !
User interface is slick and easy apart from the Sony application of the euro power warning such a pain but probably won't bother me in a couple of months once I got everything dialled in.
4k hdr pq is sublime, very good indeed.
Motion I'm almost there with so that should be great with a little more tinkering.
In a fairly bright room the brightness is absolutely fine.
I'm.struggling with colours at the moment, I've spent a lot of time tinkering. It's seems heavy on the blue and light on red but confident I will get there. Tried Rtings settings and they were way off for my set.
The worst aspect of the TV is.

The bloody glossy screen, it's like a mirror and far far worse than the zd9 led screen it's replacing. I mean very reflective, would the semi matte versions be better ? I don't know.
I'm.sure I will get more used to it but why anyone would think an oled is great because of the glossy screen is frankly unfathomable to me.
So far very pleased but dialling it in is going to be a challenge as the ootb settings were certainly not acceptable to my eyes. The good news though is that it has a huge array of tweak ability so I will get it sorted. I reckon I'm about 85% there so far.
I have to agree on mirror gloss finish, it is something I'm still learning to live with.

Checking dirty screen effect on 5% grey via YouTube does show some defects, but non are visible in normal viewing.

Attachments

• 20210618_221549.jpg
    20210618_221549.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:

Longy00000

That doesn't look bad to me.
Certainly not enough to worry me at all. Of the test of the screen is good then that's not a bad result. I have seen much much worse

Joner40

Hi all, I’ve been on the LG C7 owners forum for a number of years and I think it’s time for a upgrade. I’m torn between the A90j 65inch or jump up to a 77inch A80j? I’ve never owned a Sony before so I’m jumping in the dark.. But (silly question) is the picture quality and motion on movies a big jump from 2017 LGs enough to spend the big bucks?? Just wanted a few owners feedbacks.

alanjg1

Standard Member
Just picked up the 55 inch A80J from Best Buy this morning and it will be delivered on Thursday.
The price just dropped to $1699 in the US which I am sure is a result of Amazon running it for Prime Days for $1698. I spent the extra $200 on the 2 year warranty. I had a Samsung a few years ago that stopped working every 2 weeks and was glad I purchased the warranty for that.
Of course I also had to pick up the backlit remote for the A90J on EBay as well.

Longy00000

Had it a few days now so a little update.
Still impressed by the screen uniformity, its absolutely spot on.
Sound is probably the best i have ever heard from a tv's own built in speakers, needed to adjust the equalizer a bit though, but very good. Its definitely better than a cheap sound bar but is still no substitute for a decent bar or even better, a full surround system. Anyone in the UK dropping the money these tv's cost to then pair it with a cheap sound bar would be a waste either buy a good one or just use the internal speakers.
Ive moved most of my settings onto the warm colour selection as custom and standard were just not doing it for me. Warm is definitely helping with the too much blue my screen has shown and im pretty much on top of motion too. Smoothness 2 and clearness 1 is pretty good with Film mode Low.
Im experimenting with reality creation at the minute which is sometimes good but then a different show will bring SOE and i would want it off so not sorted that yet.
Probably about 90% sorted now overall.
Still looking into
1. Reality Creation
2. some whites still dont look 100% natural and a bit too blue
3. some near blacks are too black but then some near black look brilliant so still working in this too
Thats about it for now
A very good set and i would recommend it to anyone.
I have my set hard wired into my router rather than wifi and i think bravia core looks really good even if the max bandwith is more restricted. Watched 1 movie on it so far and the app froze after about an hour so had to come out of the app and go back in to resume playback but the quality of the image and dts soundtrack were really good for a streaming service.
Sent my claim in for the playstation voucher but that can take a few weeks apparantly.
The WORST aspect about the tv is the reflections on the screen it really is like having a 77" mirror.
So far as i am concerned it has no reflection handling properties at all and this glossy screen doesnt add anything to the picture quality, this seems to be something all oled really need to get a handle on as its pretty poor. My zd9 handles reflections SO MUCH better and thats old tech now as i bought it in 2017 - ish.
So i am almost there and no doubt the last 10% of happiness i strive for will be achieved in the coming weeks

Daftdog

Novice Member
My new TV arrived today ordered a84j from Sony centre.it doesn't say which model it is a80j or the a84j on the box.
Wife sent me picture, I'm working until tonight so can't check it..

Attachments

• received_1146006489199142.jpeg
    received_1146006489199142.jpeg
    134.2 KB · Views: 100

Ains

Can anyone please confirm that the A80J doesn't dim full screen when watching footie? A8H doesn't do it but my previous AF8 did and I had to return it. Deal-breaker!

Ains

Any sign of iPlayer being added? I can use via Sky Q short-term but it's very slow by comparison and doesn't do UHD. A8h has a firmware update today - wondered if the A80J was getting one that might address this?

Are there any other downsides like this. The price reduction has really made me want to push the buy button now

Last edited:

pummra

Bought mine last week, what do you think the chances of getting £200 refund from Sony Centre as I am still within my return period.

sheraz_uk

Any sign of iPlayer being added? I can use via Sky Q short-term but it's very slow by comparison and doesn't do UHD. A8h has a firmware update today - wondered if the A80J was getting one that might address this?

Are there any other downsides like this. The price reduction has really made me want to push the buy button now
As an 77A80J owner, I made an official complaint about UK catchup apps (iPlayer etc) missing, unfortunately no lead time on implementation..

Thank you for contacting Sony support.
In reference to your enquiry about your Sony XR-77A80J, We're sorry you're disappointed by the absence of the BBC app catch up TV apps.
We hope you can understand that this is a temporary situation, but one that is currently beyond our control and very much in the hands of 3rd party service providers.
Remember, your TV is ready for these applications once the situation moves forward.

Still, we're here to help you as much as possible. You can still enjoy the catch-up TV content by using your mobile device to cast content to your Sony TV until the app situation is resolved.
Sony has confirmed it is working. This way, you can enjoy BBC content until the app situation is resolved. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused.

BlackSpider777

Really bad, al least 10x compared to the lag in gaming mode.
Tried Forza, Biomutant and Warzone. Unplayable for me.
Crap that a real bummer & i doubt Sony will every add a DV Game Mode as PS5 will never support DV. Sad news for me :-(

Tall_Paul

Distinguished Member
As an 77A80J owner, I made an official complaint about UK catchup apps (iPlayer etc) missing, unfortunately no lead time on implementation..

Thank you for contacting Sony support.
In reference to your enquiry about your Sony XR-77A80J, We're sorry you're disappointed by the absence of the BBC app catch up TV apps.
We hope you can understand that this is a temporary situation, but one that is currently beyond our control and very much in the hands of 3rd party service providers.
Remember, your TV is ready for these applications once the situation moves forward.

Still, we're here to help you as much as possible. You can still enjoy the catch-up TV content by using your mobile device to cast content to your Sony TV until the app situation is resolved.
Sony has confirmed it is working. This way, you can enjoy BBC content until the app situation is resolved. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused.
You can side load iPlayer etc though right? Does that allow UHD to work?

Ains

Couldn't resist the £200 off and bought from John Lewis to take the 5 years burn-in protection as well. Planning to stick with this one, all being well (until I don't :laugh: )

sheraz_uk

You can side load iPlayer etc though right? Does that allow UHD to work?
I have read iPlayer can be side loaded, I personally have it loaded into Kodi, which has eliminated the stuttering issue, but no UHD. They have to sort it sooner than later to avoid too many unhappy customers, potential loss of new sales? Then again, UK is a small customer base on the grand/global scale and they can probably afford to drag it?

Tim2049

Thanks but it's specifically whether or not it dims the screen when there's a fixed scoreboard on screen?
Theoretically, it should dim. The ABL feature is still a thing on these Sony tvs. I say theoretically, because I also have an AF8 and I've never noticed any dimming, so it's always been a bit of a grey area for me personally.

The latest video from AVForums

LG C1 OLED TV Best Picture Settings for SDR, HDR and Dolby Vision
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sky drops Sky One brand and introduces Showcase and Max
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cleer Audio announces Roam NC, affordable TWS earbuds
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Toshiba smart TVs add Amazon Music and Twitch apps
  • By Andy Bassett