Sony A80/84J OLED Owners and Discussion Thread

michaelgordon

i am, its sort of why i havent got the A8 yet, i saw he was doing the unboxing a few days ago. Great reviewer and really nice guy, he calibrated my XF9005 (i was feeling flush at the time and my first proper TV)

JohnnyMN

i am, its sort of why i havent got the A8 yet, i saw he was doing the unboxing a few days ago. Great reviewer and really nice guy, he calibrated my XF9005 (i was feeling flush at the time and my first proper TV)

My advice would be to demo them and see for yourself. I saw the A90J and A80J next to each other in Curry's on Friday (65 inch). I changed both to custom mode. Made the picture settings the same. Went on YouTube. Watched some HDR content. HDR X channel is good if you fancy some 4k HDR film trailers and honestly I didn't see anything that would warrant that price difference. Obviously Curry's is a very bright shop and the differences might be more obvious in a light controlled environment but I think the A80J is the best bang for your buck in the OLED department this year. All that unmatched Sony processing combined with decent gaming performance and increased brightness from previous years has sold it for me. Just waiting for black Friday now. 77inch hallo 😍.

gforrow

Standard Member
I watch iplayer through bluray player you need to be on iplayer beta
I don’t have the option of apps on my Blu-ray player. Looks like I’m stuck watching it through my Apple 4K TV, which doesn’t offer the option of the beta player. Can’t seem to find anything on the write permissions issue either. Football looked good though, maybe the ups along was working well, but would like to see the full capabilities.

Goldorak

Distinguished Member
I was lucky to find again the 65a80j next to a 55a90j and also a 77a80j
My conclusion after playing with them for a long time and in 3 different places.
the a80j is phenomenal but only in 77. The sound is special and better than a90j in 55/65. No idea why but it could be the heat sink or something else.
in 55 and 65, the Matt finish on a80j is a deal breaker as it impacts too much the picture. Impossible not to see the difference between the 2 and I checked at 3 locations!!! In case it was a glitch...

In 77, the picture is a joy and I wish I could buy this monster but need a new place for sure...this tv when the prices reach a descent level will be the bargain of the year...
These are only my honest observation if they can help anyone. Enjoy lucky owners.

RGBY77

Standard Member
Just got the a80j 77 great picture , have noticed a very slight curve in the screen when viewed side on, is this normal? Could someone on here check there's please.
DSC_2525.JPG

dotnotbot

My conclusion after playing with them for a long time and in 3 different places.
the a80j is phenomenal but only in 77. The sound is special and better than a90j in 55/65. No idea why but it could be the heat sink or something else.
in 55 and 65, the Matt finish on a80j is a deal breaker as it impacts too much the picture. Impossible not to see the difference between the 2 and I checked at 3 locations!!! In case it was a glitch...

In 77, the picture is a joy and I wish I could buy this monster but need a new place for sure...this tv when the prices reach a descent level will be the bargain of the year...
These are only my honest observation if they can help anyone. Enjoy lucky owners.
This difference between different coatings is probably only visible with ambient light, in dark room they should perform the same.

yeswecan

Novice Member
I couldnt agree anything what you say, goldorak.
The matte coating of the 55, 65 A80J has nothing to do with picture quality in any way.
All reviews of the A80J have confirmed this fact.

Smudger558

I have one and it's gorgeous

Goldorak

Distinguished Member
This difference between different coatings is probably only visible with ambient light, in dark room they should perform the same.
Probably yes but that’s like saying they are the same cars when the weather is ok and it is not raining.

Goldorak

Distinguished Member
I couldnt agree anything what you say, goldorak.
The matte coating of the 55, 65 A80J has nothing to do with picture quality in any way.
All reviews of the A80J have confirmed this fact.
Well sir, I wish you were right. A reviewer I respect aka Vincent has the 65 and we shall see what he says. But to be honest, before I believe reviewer, I prefer to trust my eyes and real users here. I can’t ignore what I am seeing OR need to go for an eye check urgently :)
Note: in fact, I wish I was wrong as I want the 65a80j so badly !!!

Last edited:

RGBY77

Standard Member
Thanks for the reply, that does not bode well, think I will return then, that's 2 people who have straight ones mine must be a manufacturing fault dam!

jmac

Distinguished Member
If it's not to much trouble could you snap a picture from the side of the screen? just incase they try and say there all like that..
Thanks.
really not worth swapping for. especially a 77"
imo

deon444

Distinguished Member
If it's not to much trouble could you snap a picture from the side of the screen? just incase they try and say there all like that..
Thanks.
Most oled panels are not straight and have a slight bend,my A90J is not straight nor was my GZ2000.

If you are happy with the uniformity you may as well keep it,as you don't watch content from that angle.

But if it bothers you so much then swap,but then you could get one which still isn't straight but one which has more tint/banding

RGBY77

Standard Member
It's a lot of money to spend on a faulty product, I had the same problem with the ag9 77 first one was curved so I replaced it, that one was straight but 2 hdmi ports were not working, so i replaced that with this a80j 77 I can't believe the QC they must blindfold them!

jfx

Novice Member
It's a lot of money to spend on a faulty product, I had the same problem with the ag9 77 first one was curved so I replaced it, that one was straight but 2 hdmi ports were not working, so i replaced that with this a80j 77 I can't believe the QC they must blindfold them!

I had this exact issue and exchanged it at Best Buy. It took some convincing as the store manager kept telling me that it's highly common with OLEDs and as long as the picture isn't impacted, then it's nothing to worry about. After some pushing, they gave me a new one. It had the exact same issue. I went back and told them, and basically they will not give me a 3rd one to "try" under any circumstances, says Sony does not consider it a defect. He didn't say "told you so" but I could tell he was thinking that by his slight smirk. Long story short, I've learned to live with it and forget about it. Ultimately given how great the picture is, I'm not losing any sleep over it.

Tall_Paul

Distinguished Member
Going to be moving house in August which means I'll have a bigger home office/gaming room, and space for a sofa & TV, got my eye on the 55" A80/84j for 50/50 PS5 and netflix/disney+/other TV & movie viewing, but will need to wait for black Friday/another sale to make the price a bit more bearable... what sort of price drop did the 2020 Sony OLED's have on black Friday?

pummra

Just ordered an 55 A84J from Sony Centre. Luckily one of the guys there lives locally to me so getting same day delivery!

Last edited:

Longy00000

Well I have just ordered a replacement fir the smashed 77 A80 that Curry's delivered a few weeks back.
Have gone ith the Sony Centre this time and with the A84 not A80
What I have noticed though if anyone interested is that RicherSounds are offering £200 in gift vouchers but don't have stock at the minute. Not bad if your not bothered about waiting a week or two

The latest video from AVForums

LG C1 OLED TV Best Picture Settings for SDR, HDR and Dolby Vision
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sky drops Sky One brand and introduces Showcase and Max
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cleer Audio announces Roam NC, affordable TWS earbuds
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Toshiba smart TVs add Amazon Music and Twitch apps
  • By Andy Bassett