Sony A80/84J OLED Owners and Discussion Thread

v8hawkeman

Seems too big to be in the corner,better if you moved all of it to the centre of the wall and give the speakers equal distance and a bigger tv table as tv too big for it.

Or just wall hang it :smoke:
Not feasible and is not better for many reasons - most of them already discussed on this forum:-
  1. The hole in the wall log burner is used. This fire can kick out up to 12kw and is as important as the TV.
  2. The class 1 chimney is behind the wall so the wall above the fire gets hot.
  3. There are 5 seats in an arc around the TV with viewing distances of 11 to 12 feet. These seats cannot be positioned any other way due to a 12 foot bifold door on one wall and two double doors on the other two walls.
  4. Putting the TV over the fire would put it too high. The middle of the screen should be no higher than level with the viewers eyes when seated.
  5. There would be no where for the centre speaker to fit.
  6. It would not be possible to position the side and rear speaker correctly, due to the three sets of doors.
  7. You would still have to have a unit to house amp/dvd/ps5,4,3/SkyQ and NAS box. This would have to go in the same place as the current unit and take up as much room as in the current position.
  8. The 15" sub would have to be relocated.
  9. TV would not be visible from the dining room.
  10. There would be more reflections on the screen.
  11. In our opinion the TV is not too big for my eleven foot viewing distance and sits nicely on the stand. The front speaker placement is not exactly symmetrical as you have rightly said, however the sound stage is pretty good and is not noticeably impaired by being slightly out.

Tjopper

When people on the a90j thread report problems of having to restart the tv to get things to work and app crashes etc it really puts me off as my LG C9 runs like a dream
This is what the salesman also mentioned. They have a lot more software related problems with the new Sony TVs atm (like restarting and worse). To a point where service has to be given as the TV becomes non responsive. We didn't talk numbers, so I do not know how many people have this problem in relation to sold models.

Last edited:

v8hawkeman

This is what the salesman also mentioned. They have a lot more software related problems with the Sony atm (like restarting and worse). To a point where service has to be given as the TV becomes non responsive. We didn't talk numbers, so I do not know how many people have this problem in relation to sold models.
Yep.
I've had to restart the TV 3 times so far in a week. This was the only way I found to fix the following Issues on my 77A80J.

• No picture/sound from Sky Q (fed through Denon X3700H and eARC to TV hdmi 3) when switching back from viewing TV app
  • Sound reverts to stereo only on eARC return from all TV sources
  • Sound goes to a low volume on eARC return from all TV sources

jasmart

Yep.
I've had to restart the TV 3 times so far in a week. This was the only way I found to fix the following Issues on my 77A80J.

• No picture/sound from Sky Q (fed through Denon X3700H and eARC to TV hdmi 3) when switching back from viewing TV app
  • Sound reverts to stereo only on eARC return from all TV sources
  • Sound goes to a low volume on eARC return from all TV sources
I also hit this with the eARC changing the sound field from my Sony amp to Multi Stereo all the time. I normally have it set to AFD leaving it true to source. I couldnt understand why I was setting it, changing source or opening an app and it kept reverting.

This occurs because the newer Sony Bravia TVs feed back their own sound settings via Arc or E-Arc dependant on what is set in the TV (not amp) menu. You need to go into the Home menu > Display & Sound > Audio Output and disable Sound mode sync. This then stops the TV sending a signal to the amp to switch the sound field automatically.

gadgetgaz

Sony Bravia boxed XRA84JU.jpg
It's arrived! A84JU

v8hawkeman

I also hit this with the eARC changing the sound field from my Sony amp to Multi Stereo all the time. I normally have it set to AFD leaving it true to source. I couldnt understand why I was setting it, changing source or opening an app and it kept reverting.

This occurs because the newer Sony Bravia TVs feed back their own sound settings via Arc or E-Arc dependant on what is set in the TV (not amp) menu. You need to go into the Home menu > Display & Sound > Audio Output and disable Sound mode sync. This then stops the TV sending a signal to the amp to switch the sound field automatically.
Sound mode sync was already off. eARC mode is set to Auto. Digital audio out to Auto 2 and Pass through mode Auto.

jasmart

Does this happen each time you switch source, that is to a different HDMI or app?

If that's the case, try setting the sound mode to Cinema as discussed here.

v8hawkeman

The problem is that it is intermittent and not the easiest to reproduce. I'm playing a lot with other settings at the moment as the TV is new and I've yet to find all my preferred settings. Trying different settings on the Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 currently. I'm hoping once I've stopped messing around it'll settle down. :)

Oatfedgoat

Standard Member
I've still got a similar issue even though I did accept all permissions. I also did the registration via the app on the TV which responded with the message that they will send me an email within 24hrs. Well that was last Saturday.
I've opened a case with Sony who say - they can see my registration (all OK), yes there was an issue and they have fixed it and I will receive an email. Well that was 2 days ago and I've been on to them again and I'm awaiting a response.
Not looking promising is it. :(
Still the same for me.

I went through everything correctly on screen and got the registration email immediately, just no follow up email with a voucher code.

I've been dealing with both Sony, Google and Box.co.uk to try resolve.

Every one of them really does seem totally unaware of the promotion and what should be done to do it.
They say to claim the code through the BRAVIA Bonus Offer app on the TV. I followed this a week ago when I got the set.

I'm not holding my breath on this one. It's really annoying as I've spent so much time trying to claim back a measley £100 google vouchers which I'm sure will take me over a year to reclaim!

MahaRaja

On a positive note I still haven't seen anything I don't like about the PQ of this TV and am struggling to think of anything I don't like about it (other than the power consumption warning messages which are just irksome). The thing that keep impressing me with everything I watch is the amount of shadow details and lack of any visible bear black issues compared with my old Panasonic.
Interesting. Thought Pana OLEDs have the best near black performance as attested by Vincent of HDTVTEST, and if you're saying the A80J has even better shadow details than your old FZ OLED, then it's amazing.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Interesting. Thought Pana OLEDs have the best near black performance as attested by Vincent of HDTVTEST, and if you're saying the A80J has even better shadow details than your old FZ OLED, then it's amazing.

I think Panasonic properly addressed near black handling from 2019 models (GZ).

I am still not sold on Sony's near black processing going by VT's remarks. Looks like its still behind Panasonic. Maybe Sony can fix it via s/w update.

So its now looking like pick your poison. Sony for better motion and Panny for other aspects of picture processing.

My 65 GZ is doing well except for this irritating micro and head turn stuttering.

Longy00000

My old Sony ZD9 has this habit of switching itself on unexpectedly over the years.
I traced it back to a very sensitive CEC command , when its disabled so no hdmi sync going on via the handshake it deosnt happen.
But thats annoying having to switch things on separately all the time.
I traced it to my Sky box, my old HD box and also my SkyQ box. Whenever they do an update overnight my Tv will be on in the morning with a black no input screen. It appears as though the Sky box wakes itself up (but still appears to be in sleep mode as its doing a download or update overnight) the TV picks it up as the Sky box being activated and would consequently switch itself on.
A tad annoying but not the end of the world.

JayPee2610

That's what I thought. But then, it's due to the fact that it is brighter than reference, which you could easily achieve by boosting brightness near black on a Panasonic or LG as well. Would love to see if there is any way to correct this. I could get the 65" version for around 1800,-

MahaRaja

Nice to hear from you
Enjoying is not strong enough...I don’t know how I lived before :)
This Sony seems special so I am keeping an eye as may need a 65 next year...
Surprised that you're thinkin of upgrading so soon after landing a bargain on your FZ OLED.
Wonder, if motion a problem on your set, know OS is not that good. Or you're increasing in size, the main driver to upgrade.

jmac

Distinguished Member
Surprised that you're thinkin of upgrading so soon after landing a bargain on your FZ OLED.
Wonder, if motion a problem on your set, know OS is not that good. Or you're increasing in size, the main driver to upgrade.
He's only just starting to think about it, we all know goldy, it will take him years to actually do it :D :love:

Longy00000

Well Currys seem to have stock again as they are offering to deliver tomorrow for £25 extra and

wait for it

they have an offer on it

Yup

GB only* 1 in 20 chance to win your money back when you buy a participating TV.
*** ! :mad:

lgans316

Distinguished Member
B only* 1 in 20 chance to win your money back when you buy a participating TV.

1 in 20 chance to win the panel lottery and 0 chance to win your money back as we don't have more than 19 TVs in stock. :laugh:

jmac

Distinguished Member
Well Currys seem to have stock again as they are offering to deliver tomorrow for £25 extra and

wait for it

they have an offer on it

Yup

GB only* 1 in 20 chance to win your money back when you buy a participating TV.
Just think, you could only be paying £2100 for it... GET IT ORDERED :devil::devil::D:D

clydebest

Distinguished Member

Longy00000

Ohh is Jmacc bailing out already???
Are you going for a C1 then?

jmac

Distinguished Member
Ohh is Jmacc bailing out already???
Are you going for a C1 then?
no no no, just waiting a bit. :rotfl:
nice remote control for you my friend, special discount of £60 for you sir.

The latest video from AVForums

LG SP11RA Soundbar Review Coming Soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Harman Luxury Audio Group releases updated MusicLife app
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Q Acoustics announces Q Active app availability
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TCL introduces Roku smart TVs for UK
  • By Andy Bassett