Sony A80/84J OLED Owners and Discussion Thread

Topmetom 2

Distinguished Member
OLD tv NEW tv 65" v 83"

The tv is a Monster and I love it, can't see any issues although it has only had an quick hour looking at some Neflix/Prime and a bit of terrestrial daytime tv.

The tv although a refurb was as good as new except 1 major issue that I am going to have to complain about, there was no remote control batteries in the box😁
That just looks great…you need bigger speakers now…🫣

lgans316

Distinguished Member

kbfern

Distinguished Member
I switched the tv on this morning and a message popped up that there was a firmware update.

Has anyone had this on their A80, mine may not have been on the latest firmware as I only got it last week so maybe it's a firmware that has been out for a while rather than a brand new one.

I have not updated yet as I see a few on here have been reporting wi-fi drop outs which so far has not happened with my tv although it's early days yet but have probably watched 5-6 hrs of streamed stuff so far. But then again streaming is from my firestick which is plugged into my Denon avr. Therefore the tv is not using the wi-fi for that so it may not be an issue for me anyway.

steve51

I have the little baby 55 inch of the a80j and was wondering if the screws in the vesa holes were good enough to use to mount on a VESA stand or do I need to get some new ones and if so does anybody know the size needed - many thanks

GeorgeL78

My brand new 2 week old 77a80j kept disconnecting its ethernet connection almost daily and I would always have to restart the TV or pull out the ethernet cable which IS super annoying. It seems a lot of other people are having similar network connectivity issues with this TV....

Someone suggested to statically map the IP outside of DHCP scope range which I have tried, hasn't dropped out in a few days so crossing fingers, hopefully a future firmware will fix this issue. Also using a cable matters USB to ethernet adaptor.
I’ve not experienced this issue and I’m also using the Cable Matters adapter. Is yours connected to the USB 3.0 port? Only one of the USB’s is 3.0 if I recall correctly. Only time I get a disconnect error is if I’ve put the TV into standby while watching something on a streaming app and then switched it back on again a short while later, clears itself once I hit the back button and then resume watching.

GeorgeL78

I switched the tv on this morning and a message popped up that there was a firmware update.

Has anyone had this on their A80, mine may not have been on the latest firmware as I only got it last week so maybe it's a firmware that has been out for a while rather than a brand new one.

I have not updated yet as I see a few on here have been reporting wi-fi drop outs which so far has not happened with my tv although it's early days yet but have probably watched 5-6 hrs of streamed stuff so far. But then again streaming is from my firestick which is plugged into my Denon avr. Therefore the tv is not using the wi-fi for that so it may not be an issue for me anyway.
I updated this week to the new firmware and it resolved an earc issue between my Denon and TV on the TV audio input. I use Ethernet so can’t comment on Wi-fi dropouts.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Thanks for that 🙏 what was the earc issue you were having as I also have a Denon x4500. When I turn the tv on it does not turn the avr on and vise versa. I have switching enabled and when I turn the avr off the tv also goes off and then the tv switches back on again.

ruffage

Distinguished Member
I have the little baby 55 inch of the a80j and was wondering if the screws in the vesa holes were good enough to use to mount on a VESA stand or do I need to get some new ones and if so does anybody know the size needed - many thanks
I have the 55 mounted on this Sanus stand, and I use the screws that were in the TV:

Amazon product

GeorgeL78

Thanks for that 🙏 what was the earc issue you were having as I also have a Denon x4500. When I turn the tv on it does not turn the avr on and vise versa. I have switching enabled and when I turn the avr off the tv also goes off and then the tv switches back on again.
Mine was everytime I started in tv audio I’d get “stereo” showing on the receiver and no sound, I’d then have to switch earc off on the tv and back on again to get the audio back and the display would then revert to “Dolby surround”. Now it works everytime!

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Mine seems ok on that score. I watch most things via the avr (Humax pvr/Firestick for streaming Netflix,Prime etc/4k UHD). I have used on board tv app for BBC i-player and then just pressed tv audio button on the AVR and sound came through ok. :thumbsup:

Noahdavid1984

You have to go into input settings and turn Tv audio off on the Denon. That way it won’t do it. You can use the app or remote to turn back to tv audio when you need it

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Thanks I will give that a try and see if it works for me.:)

Bagger

The screws that comes out of the back of the TV only have 10mm of thread.

According to the manual you need 10-14 mm of thread protruding from the bracket after insertion.

An an average bracket is ~1-2mm thick. Also a good idea to use a washer and lock washer to stop them undoing from vibration etc. Another 1-2mm

They may work but will only be holding by maybe half the threads available in the captivated nuts in the TV. (For how long though)
_20220523_095055.JPG

I

steve51

The screws that comes out of the back of the TV only have 10mm of thread.

According to the manual you need 10-14 mm of thread protruding from the bracket after insertion.

An an average bracket is ~1-2mm thick. Also a good idea to use a washer and lock washer to stop them undoing from vibration etc. Another 1-2mm

They may work but will only be holding by maybe half the threads available in the captivated nuts in the TV. (For how long though)View attachment 1700210

I
Thank you for the detailed response appreciate it 👍👍

kbfern

Distinguished Member
If it don't go away next time he turns it on get him to do a panel refresh and if that don't do it probably need to report it to Sony and get it repaired.

So my 77A80J turned up today. No original packaging. Top edge of frame has abrasion marks 1/2 length of the TV and missing paint on the corner. TV switched on OK, but that is where the good news ends. Both bottom corners are bent, one so much that it has started to buckle the frame. I've emailed Sony Centre Carlisle already and asked them to call me pronto tomorrow.😠

kbfern

Distinguished Member
WoW sorry to hear your 77A80J is in such scrappy condition. £1999 was a good price if it was in the condition my 83" A90J was in but not how you describe yours.

It was the Carlisle guys that I dealt with for mine and they were very helpful so I would get on teh phone tomorrow and speak to see what they can do.

I suspect a brand new one could be had for another £400-500 pretty soon as there can't be that many left now with the new models soon to arrive in the shops.

Yeah, it's a right pain. Hopefully they make this as simple as possible to rectify.

martin 39

If it don't go away next time he turns it on get him to do a panel refresh and if that don't do it probably need to report it to Sony and get it repaired.
Thank you he has tried unplugging and leaving for 10 minutes still there. Any idea what causes this

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Sorry I don't know what causes it. Get him to go into the menu and do a panel refresh I don't know if it will fix it but it's worth a shot. Failing that ring Sony or the retailer that he bought it from.

How long has he had the tv?

lgans316

Distinguished Member
View attachment 1700520View attachment 1700521mate of mine has turned his 77A80J on tonight and has this black line down the middle any ideas please

If you tried all options and nothing worked then contact Sony. Most likely they will give you a brand new A80J or K whichever is available

Sony rarely fixes larger TVs and sends it back to the customer. Most likely they repair and send them to Sony centres.

martin 39

If you tried all options and nothing worked then contact Sony. Most likely they will give you a brand new A80J or K whichever is available

Sony rarely fixes larger TVs and sends it back to the customer. Most likely they repair and send them to Sony centres.
Left it unplugged overnight tried this morning and appears to have gone. So hope for the best now

I suspect a brand new one could be had for another £400-500 pretty soon as there can't be that many left now with the new models soon to arrive in the shops.
Correct, Sony Centre Carlisle offered me a brand new one for £2500 as a gesture of good will and are delivering today and picking up the scrap one. Great service, let's just hope this one hasn't had a fall or two! I'll report back 🙈👍

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

PSB Speakers unveils Passif 50 loudspeaker
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Samsung Gaming Hub goes live
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Huawei unveils FreeBuds Pro 2 true wireless earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony unveils Inzone gaming brand