Sony A80/84J OLED Owners and Discussion Thread

Smiffy 2

I haven't updated to the latest firmware yet, whereas most probably have, but I guess are still seeing this occur.
It is very sporadic though, I can watch Netflix, Prime and Sony Bravia Core without any issue whatsoever, but just on the odd occasion it suddenly decides to drop connection and then reconnect shortly after (enough to interrupt what you're watching).
A lot of the time it seems to occur shortly after I have put the TV on, but whether that's a coincidence I don't know.
Exactly the same scenario as me. Usually, but not always, see it just as I've turned the TV on.

JohnnyMN

Treated myself to some Sony WF- 1000XM4 earphones and they work perfectly with my A80J 😍. Hopefully no more rows about the volume when watching films late at night 😂

michaelgordon

can anyone help, i dont really use the catchup apps but want to watch the cup final later but the itv hub app dosent appear to have a live tv option, am i missing something?

kunjila kobasa

Standard Member
Hello again,

I've been owning A80j for some time, managed to remove most of BS from my home screen, mostly by selecting "only apps" mode, but there is one major anoyance left, Disney+
I don't even use this crap app so I don't understand why is Google/Sony pushing this on my home screen. I allways get 3 incredibly intrusive recommendations with images of those lame shows.
I don't want that! Now I tried disabling Disney+ app, didn't work, tried reversing on Google TV app, didn't help ... what else can I do/try?

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Hello again,

I've been owning A80j for some time, managed to remove most of BS from my home screen, mostly by selecting "only apps" mode, but there is one major anoyance left, Disney+
I don't even use this crap app so I don't understand why is Google/Sony pushing this on my home screen. I allways get 3 incredibly intrusive recommendations with images of those lame shows.
I don't want that! Now I tried disabling Disney+ app, didn't work, tried reversing on Google TV app, didn't help ... what else can I do/try?

Google Play Store - Search for Disney+ - Click Uninstall

Btw it's not a crappy app.

kunjila kobasa

Standard Member
Google Play Store - Search for Disney+ - Click Uninstall

Btw it's not a crappy app.
No. Well, speak for yourself ... but IMO every app that is forcing itself on the start screen is crappy indeed. And even if I ever considered it, that won't happen now, I hate it from the bottom of my heart

You can't the tv will not let you. It's long press than uninstall for most but not the crap app.

What a crap! Yeah I know I can't, I disabled it instead, but didn't help for home screen. And even if Google doesn't let me take that crap down and it's taking my storage space, I don't mind it so much. What I genuinly hate is Disney+ recommendations on my home screen and the fact that I need one extra click to skip it.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
You can't the tv will not let you. It's long press than uninstall for most but not the crap app.

So it didn't work via Play Store then?

Then I won't be of much help as I use
the app.

Mostt likely some of the apps are baked in and can only be disabled but not fully uninstalled.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
No. Well, speak for yourself ... but IMO every app that is forcing itself on the start screen is crappy indeed. And even if I ever considered it, that won't happen now, I hate it from the bottom of my heart

What a crap! Yeah I know I can't, I disabled it instead, but didn't help for home screen. And even if Google doesn't let me take that crap down and it's taking my storage space, I don't mind it so much. What I genuinly hate is Disney+ recommendations on my home screen and the fact that I need one extra click to skip it.

My version of hate would be when the TV is not turning on, Wi-fi dropout, vertical banding, shoddy processing or perhaps when there is no hot water or a roof over my head.

You need to chill a bit sir. :)

Try googling but I am not sure if the recommendations for certain apps can be defeated.

Metalane

Is HDR gaming as bad as this guy claims it is on the A80J?

2125AC18-697D-4767-8750-D9128D659704.jpeg

lgans316

Distinguished Member

JohnnyMN

Is HDR gaming as bad as this guy claims it is on the A80J?

View attachment 1697004

So bad I had to go back to my PS2. Kidding on. Games look amazing on mine. Even better playing 120fps after the VRR updates. I play Deep Rock Galactic with my pals regularly and it looks tremendous. Very smooth. The HDR is great too. HGIG is obviously going to have it's benefits but it's not like you're firing up a 2007 LCD to play a modern games console. The TV is more than competent for games and has the best upscaling in the biz if you're playing a 1080p console like the switch. I chose my A80J for picture quality and processing. Gaming features came second. But it isn't lacking in those either.

Metalane

So bad I had to go back to my PS2. Kidding on. Games look amazing on mine. Even better playing 120fps after the VRR updates. I play Deep Rock Galactic with my pals regularly and it looks tremendous. Very smooth. The HDR is great too. HGIG is obviously going to have it's benefits but it's not like you're firing up a 2007 LCD to play a modern games console. The TV is more than competent for games and has the best upscaling in the biz if you're playing a 1080p console like the switch. I chose my A80J for picture quality and processing. Gaming features came second. But it isn't lacking in those either.
Thanks for the input. And I only game on a PS5, which I’m not even fully sure if it supports HGIG.

kunjila kobasa

Standard Member
My version of hate would be when the TV is not turning on, Wi-fi dropout, vertical banding, shoddy processing or perhaps when there is no hot water or a roof over my head.

You need to chill a bit sir. :)

Try googling but I am not sure if the recommendations for certain apps can be defeated.

Well, I found a workaround, 3rd party launcher and button remapper. Works quite well, the trick is to remap home button to the alternative launcher. I couldn't find a way to make it a default though, so when I turn on my TV I still initially get the crappy Disney+ launcher, but no biggie ...
Well... talking about hot water, my wife accidently flipped the breaker for the tank ... so no hot water today, had to visit the gym to get a shower.
I just dispise the fact that you pay 3000€ and then Disney+ crap is forcing on you ... makes me consider Shield

deekay37

I have not updated to the latest firmware yet and I do not get the WiFi dropout issue ,is it related to the new update ?

Smiffy 2

Seems like somebody has just discovered the word "crap"....
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

50W

I have not updated to the latest firmware yet and I do not get the WiFi dropout issue ,is it related to the new update ?
Mine suffers from the dropout issue and I am a couple of revisions old, so not specific to the latest build.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Mine suffers from the dropout issue and I am a couple of revisions old, so not specific to the latest build.

I am experiencing 1-2 dropouts in an hour.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

PSB Speakers unveils Passif 50 loudspeaker
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Samsung Gaming Hub goes live
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Huawei unveils FreeBuds Pro 2 true wireless earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony unveils Inzone gaming brand