Sony A80/84J OLED Owners and Discussion Thread

Bagger

HDR brightness levels.

I've only noticed recently that this setting is not saved "per input" like the other settings are.
Seems to be a one setting for all

Is this right, not sure if it was like this before or it's the fact that I'm watching more HDR content and only just noticed.

Wez68

Distinguished Member
HDR brightness levels.

I've only noticed recently that this setting is not saved "per input" like the other settings are.
Seems to be a one setting for all

Is this right, not sure if it was like this before or it's the fact that I'm watching more HDR content and only just noticed.
HDR brightness level will always be maxed out

Bagger

HDR brightness level will always be maxed out
It's not maxed out. It's just at the same level regardless of what input I'm using.

If I set it at 25 for the iPlayer app it'll be at 25 on hdmi 3 where my media player is.

Some inputs like my media player need it almost maxed out. But the likes of iPlayer uhd HDR programs are uncomfortably bright.
Shame you can't set it how you want it per input like you can with all the other settings.

Bit of an oversight in my opinion

Wez68

Distinguished Member
It's not maxed out. It's just at the same level regardless of what input I'm using.

If I set it at 25 for the iPlayer app it'll be at 25 on hdmi 3 where my media player is.

Some inputs like my media player need it almost maxed out. But the likes of iPlayer uhd HDR programs are uncomfortably bright.
Shame you can't set it how you want it per input like you can with all the other settings.

Bit of an oversight in my opinion
If it’s not maxed out it’s not HDR

Bagger

If it’s not maxed out it’s not HDR

That's a strange statement.
The makers of the content do not know the capabilities of your TV or the lighting conditions of the room you are viewing it in.
Hence the ability to be able to change the brightness levels.
I'm just saying that it's strange that you cannot set it "per input"

tk ripper

Standard Member
Hi all, I've just bought an A80j77 and it's picture is outstanding, but one thing I've noticed is an issue with sound. On the whole the sound is great, but I've noticed certain frequencies seem to make it vibrate a lot. As an example anything with pianos or simply skipping through the menus seems to omit a vibration type sound. Has anyone come across any issues like this with this TV? I've tried all sound options including the EQ but nothing seems to eliminate the vibration if the right frequency is hit. Watching the news earlier and the reader had tone that could cause it to happen. The unit seems tight as a nut everywhere and it's wall mount is solid with nothing lose etc. The actual sound seems to come directly from the rear. Long winded and thanks in advance if anyone knows of any issues.

Wez68

Distinguished Member
That's a strange statement.
The makers of the content do not know the capabilities of your TV or the lighting conditions of the room you are viewing it in.
Hence the ability to be able to change the brightness levels.
I'm just saying that it's strange that you cannot set it "per input"
If the content is in HDR it automatically triggers a HDR preset on the tv which puts brightness at max ,nothing strange about the statement at all ,yes you can lower the brightness if you like ,but it’s put at max for a reason

Wez68

Distinguished Member
Hi all, I've just bought an A80j77 and it's picture is outstanding, but one thing I've noticed is an issue with sound. On the whole the sound is great, but I've noticed certain frequencies seem to make it vibrate a lot. As an example anything with pianos or simply skipping through the menus seems to omit a vibration type sound. Has anyone come across any issues like this with this TV? I've tried all sound options including the EQ but nothing seems to eliminate the vibration if the right frequency is hit. Watching the news earlier and the reader had tone that could cause it to happen. The unit seems tight as a nut everywhere and it's wall mount is solid with nothing lose etc. The actual sound seems to come directly from the rear. Long winded and thanks in advance if anyone knows of any issues.
When you set the tv up did you set it as wall mounted or table top ?

Bagger

If the content is in HDR it automatically triggers a HDR preset on the tv which puts brightness at max ,nothing strange about the statement at all ,yes you can lower the brightness if you like ,but it’s put at max for a reason
Have you watched the likes of green planet on iPlayer in HDR. I find it painfully bright at max, along with most of the content on iPlayer.
There's no reason not to want to turn it down.

I just find it wierd that you cannot set the brightness per input to automatically set for you.

Like I said big oversight

Wez68

Distinguished Member
Have you watched the likes of green planet on iPlayer in HDR. I find it painfully bright at max, along with most of the content on iPlayer.
There's no reason not to want to turn it down.

I just find it wierd that you cannot set the brightness per input to automatically set for you.

Like I said big oversight
Yes i,ve watched loads of HDR/DV content ,I haven't found any to be painfully bright tbh , what picture preset are you using?
The tv maxing out the brightness with HDR content is exactly what it should be doing ,as its meant to be viewed that way , so its not really an oversight on Sony's behalf , in fact I,m not sure that ANY manufacturer allows you to do what you want .

Bagger

Yes i,ve watched loads of HDR/DV content ,I haven't found any to be painfully bright tbh , what picture preset are you using?
The tv maxing out the brightness with HDR content is exactly what it should be doing ,as its meant to be viewed that way , so its not really an oversight on Sony's behalf , in fact I,m not sure that ANY manufacturer allows you to do what you want .
Custom preset.
Some content is fine at almost maxed out on the media player. It's just an unnecessary mess around having to keep changing the brightness for different inputs, when you do not have to with SDR content, as that stays as you set it per input.
Just have to get used to changing the brightness for HDR. Either that or keep a pair of sunglasses with the remote.

Hey ho.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Don't you have a day and night setting with HDR if so use night setting as it is less bright.

I was having a demo of a friends 83" A90J yesterday in a total bat cave environment and the HDR was perfect, it did not burn your retinas out and that was in night mode.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Most HDR contents especially movies are well under 1000 nits. Even those in 4000 / 10K containers only have few split second scenes where the brightest pixel is lit up to 4K or 10K nits and only the brightest and capable LCD TVs can tone map.

I really don't understand why anyone would watch HDR movies in a bright room. All you will get is subdued HDR experience. Even the brightest LCD TV is not good when the APL is around 100-150 nits of the time.

markc000

Controller lag on my PS5 went through the roof a few days ago, some games were essentialy unplayable.

Soloution was to enable VRR under Channels & Inputs > HDMI signal format :laugh:

markc000

Don’t have this and I’ve not heard it mentioned here. If you give an example of a source (named movie and audio track, or Netflix show) and volume level that introduces vibration I will try to reproduce. I do tend to use a soundbar for most films though.

Does it happen with Bladerunner 2049 UHD Disc?

SparkShot

For those with Bravia core credits left, the Uncharted movie is now available (also in IMAX dts).

Metalane

Hello everybody! First time visiting this thread.

So I’m looking to get a 77” A80J soon, but the talk about banding and uniformity issues some pages back has me a little nervous. I assume that’s just a fault of the panel lottery, and not the actual hardware inside the model itself, correct? And are their any other visual issues or bugs I should know about? I have heard about the red/pink tinting, but also seems to be more of a panel lottery thing than the actual hardware.

columt

Novice Member
Freesat EPG not populating - anyone else getting this problem?

I've two recent Sony OLED TVs (A8 and A84J) both explicitly supporting Freesat, both with two separate satellite feeds, 100% signal and latest software updates.

However the Freesat program guides are erratic to say the least.

Sometime the guides seem complete, sometimes every channel shows "No programme information", sometimes a mix of both.

When I try to record a future listed show, sometimes it will schedule the recording, sometime it says "No programme information" again, even though it has just shown the program info.

When I try to record a series it gets very confused - sometimes it kinda works, usually not.

When I view my list of recorded shows, usually the recording has the wrong name - maybe the previously showing show, maybe just "unknown".

Everything else is pretty great with these TVs, terrestrial TV guide works great. Great picture and sound. I'm a little frustrated by the inability to easily pause live TV but otherwise good. But I've had to dig out my old Humax box to be able to reliably record.

Sony support seem stumped - they've offered me a replacement TV but I've no confidence it will be any better. Thus the question on this forum.

Snafu

Got mine (65A84J) last week, very positive experience so far.

One question though, i have 2.0 pre amp with RCA/XLR-ins, what's the best way to connect pre amp to A84J? I have tried head phone-out, but when cable is connected there is no sound in tv itself. Is it same with optical out ?

And, does adding DAC for optical also cause sync problems with sound ?

Thanks to all, this thread was one of the reasons i ended up with Sony (again, last Sony was 32'' tube...), had some Pana plasma time between :D

:thumbsup:

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Experienced a weird issue yesterday. Lost Wi-Fi. Thought it was my router. Restarted it. Unplugged TV mains power. Put it back after 10 minutes. It connected to Wi-Fi but speed test app was showing 0. Everything froze. Gave up after 30 minutes. I was able to get Wi-Fi at advertised speed on other devices including my ZD9.

Now its fine. For a moment, thought the Wi-Fi adapter on the TV is blown.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B Update, B&W Panorama 3 & Q Acoustics Reviews, HDR PQ EOTF/Gamma Calibration Discussion
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Netflix confirms ad-supported option is on the way
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Rotel announces 60th Anniversary Diamond Series Hi-Fi duo
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Paramount+ launches in the UK and Ireland
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Hisense launches A9H 4K OLED TV