Sony A80/84J OLED Owners and Discussion Thread

skyform

That's really disappointing especially for people who want 77". A TV in this price range should not have such a big flaw, it's unacceptable. :(

So I just got this my A80J a few days ago and did the gray uniformity test. I could see a grid at around 5-15% and as much I want to live with it, it’s just really hard to accept.

Been watching Invasion on Apple TV and there are plenty of dark scenes. Couldn’t help but notice the grid and banding. Like in the samples attached.

Is this acceptable or should I return or replace this unit?
Send that back.

khl87

Standard Member
All this banding problems I see here and on avsforum on A80J is really bad. Are mostly bigger sizes affected by this 65" and 77" or 55" aswell? So far I had two OLED's in 55" and both had zero banding, only pink tinting.

I'm about to order 55" A80J but I'm a bit scared of this, it seems like a common problem on A80J.
Mine’s 55” A80J.

This is my first OLED. Coming from a full array Sony LED, I’m quite disappointed. Watched a lot of video reviews and none of them mentioned about this issue with OLED TVs.

Chamberlain

So I just got this my A80J a few days ago and did the gray uniformity test. I could see a grid at around 5-15% and as much I want to live with it, it’s just really hard to accept.

Been watching Invasion on Apple TV and there are plenty of dark scenes. Couldn’t help but notice the grid and banding. Like in the samples attached.

Is this acceptable or should I return or replace this unit?

That's just banding and not grid. But it looks bad. Probably wont make a difference but get the hours up and see how it looks then, one frustrating thing about sony oleds is how long it takes to get those first 3-4 comp cycles out of the way lol.

HaRd2BeAr

Distinguished Member
Damn, and there's me wanting the new 42/48 Sony OLED coming out. My current Samsung has no banding but nasty dirty screen. :(

Kingmob04

Anyone else get a slight edging effect on the edges of black bars when watching movies? Hard to describe it, but it's almost as if there's a slight fade between the edge of the black and where the rest of the film's image starts.

Sorry to bump this, but would be great to know if anyone else is experiencing this? I should emphasise it's very subtle. I'd probably describe it as more of a slight blurring rather than a fade.

King Dazzar

That's really disappointing especially for people who want 77". A TV in this price range should not have such a big flaw, it's unacceptable. :(
Ha! How do you think I felt as an early adopter of an 83" C1 at £6.5k with a vertical band down the middle of the screen with Richer Sounds telling me it's barely noticeable and its me!?! Lets just say I wasn't a happy chappy!

King Dazzar

Mine’s 55” A80J.

This is my first OLED. Coming from a full array Sony LED, I’m quite disappointed. Watched a lot of video reviews and none of them mentioned about this issue with OLED TVs.
Seriously its the big dirty secret of OLED's. I know of a Tv calibrator who went through 6 or so A90J panels himself before finding one of acceptable quality.

You can get a good one and I have a 2019 one in my bedroom which is good. But even then it still has some minor banding in dark scenes.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Vertical banding is the true Achilles heel for OLEDs more than burn-in just like DSE on LCD TVs. Mine has about 6 bands (2 on left, 1 in the middle and 2 on the right all towards the center of the screen). Sometimes they are faint and sometimes they do look really bad. I am going to keep the TV and see if it improves. Otherwise email Sony asking them for a resolution. Very difficult to capture on my poor mobile phone camera when paused but noticeable in motion. If Sony sends an engineer it will be easy-peasy for me to show as I have made a note of the movies and the time codes.

khl87

Standard Member
Seriously its the big dirty secret of OLED's. I know of a Tv calibrator who went through 6 or so A90J panels himself before finding one of acceptable quality.

You can get a good one and I have a 2019 one in my bedroom which is good. But even then it still has some minor banding in dark scenes.
Oh wow. That’s crazy. Returning it once or twice is already much of a hassle.

I do recall a few video reviews mention about banding, didn’t realize it’s such a big issue aside from the burn-in that OLED TVs have.

That's just banding and not grid. But it looks bad. Probably wont make a difference but get the hours up and see how it looks then, one frustrating thing about sony oleds is how long it takes to get those first 3-4 comp cycles out of the way lol.
There’s a horizontal smudge at the top part that goes all the way across, which is very obvious when doing gray screen test (attached). So I thought it was forming a grid of some sort across the screen. I sometimes notice it when watching, but not as obvious than vertical banding.

Attachments

• 453753BD-C1C0-41C3-8407-C56F62EEA203.jpeg
    453753BD-C1C0-41C3-8407-C56F62EEA203.jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 7F46EF78-AF69-490E-90CD-81E3A615D387.jpeg
    7F46EF78-AF69-490E-90CD-81E3A615D387.jpeg
    55 KB · Views: 91

Wez68

Distinguished Member
Oh wow. That’s crazy. Returning it once or twice is already much of a hassle.

I do recall a few video reviews mention about banding, didn’t realize it’s such a big issue aside from the burn-in that OLED TVs have.

There’s a horizontal smudge at the top part that goes all the way across, which is very obvious when doing gray screen test (attached). So I thought it was forming a grid of some sort across the screen. I sometimes notice it when watching, but not as obvious than vertical banding.
You're 5% should not look brighter than your 10% are you using the same camera etc

HaRd2BeAr

Distinguished Member
Just get on with it. My 55" is perfect so don't let all these recent posts put you off.

Except don't choose too small a screen!
Haha! It won't stop me just make me nervous. Currently got a 43inch so debating going an inch smaller and getting the 42 or going up to 48... decisions decisions.

Definitely want a Sony though, their processing is excellent!

ruffage

Distinguished Member
Haha! It won't stop me just make me nervous. Currently got a 43inch so debating going an inch smaller and getting the 42 or going up to 48... decisions decisions.

Definitely want a Sony though, their processing is excellent!
I've never heard anyone going for a smaller screen. Did you want a moment to have a word with yourself?

skyform

Mine’s 55” A80J.

That's really bad, I feel you. I'm not sure anymore if I want to buy A80J. I had Panasonic GZ950 and Philips 706 and both had absolutely no banding. Philips had tinting issue which was too strong, while Panasonic had a very clean panel. I'm so used to Sony's processing and colors that I don't want anything else but seeing this banding. I thought and hoped only 77" are plagued with this but as it looks it affects all sizes.

Wez68

Distinguished Member
All this banding problems I see here and on avsforum on A80J is really bad. Are mostly bigger sizes affected by this 65" and 77" or 55" aswell? So far I had two OLED's in 55" and both had zero banding, only pink tinting.

I'm about to order 55" A80J but I'm a bit scared of this, it seems like a common problem on A80J.
I personally wouldn't say its a common issue with the A80J, any more than it is with any other Oled , I have a 77"A80J and a 55 " C1 upstairs, the first C1 I had ,had terrible uniformity , sent that back ,and the replacement was much better , my A80J is fine , the 5% isn't perfect , but so what , I've seen nothing in any content so far , I can still return it , but my days of chasing the perfect panel are long gone , if it looks ok with content ,that's good enough for me , if I saw a tiny bit of banding every 50 hours or so of content ,I would much rather take that ,over any tint that you would see day in ,day out!!
Also remember , unless the pictures posted on here of panels are taken with the same camera using the exact same pictures settings , its really pointless comparing any of them .

anduns

Standard Member
I bought two of Sony 55 a80j, build date 2021/08 and 22/01. I have done some testing and the one with pink tint is better, its something with the colors can’t put a finger on it though.
The Sony below has big vertical banding in the middle of the screen, the other one have it tho but just really small ones much less noticeable,

But I’m sad the pink one has mirror scratch at the top on the panel, can only see it with a flashlight..
0B909DFB-A6E0-4F9C-AB67-49017F897BDD.jpeg

50W

I have owned the 55A80j for around 4 months and this is my first oled. It took me a very long time before biting the bullet on an oled, but so far so good. I have no obvious issues and I don't plan on looking for any.
I think most issues on here appear to be with the larger screens, so I wouldn't let it put you off.

Wez68

Distinguished Member
I bought two of Sony 55 a80j, build date 2021/08 and 22/01. I have done some testing and the one with pink tint is better, its something with the colors can’t put a finger on it though.
The Sony below has big vertical banding in the middle of the screen, the other one have it tho but just really small ones much less noticeable,

But I’m sad the pink one has mirror scratch at the top on the panel, can only see it with a flashlight.. View attachment 1643713
The pink tinted one more than likely has the EVO panel

skyform

But I’m sad the pink one has mirror scratch at the top on the panel, can only see it with a flashlight.. View attachment 1643713
That's interesting. The one with pink tint might be the evo panel. This is just crap that they use different panels for 55" and 65" while 77" are all evo. I would prefer to have the one with pink tint, I don’t like the greenish tint. My Philips 706 had greenish tint and I didn't like that but it also had a big pink spot, so I have no idea what's going on with these oleds. At white uniformity looks good on both.

Is 2022/01 the pink one and 2021/08 greenish one? And where exactly do you find this date numbers, on the box, on the TV or are this from the TV's menu?

Last edited:

Kenny1979

That’s interesting to know. Instead of using Curry’s I decided to get my Sony from ‘John Lewis and I’d taken out the extra insurance so I’ll be interested to know how kenny1979 gets on?
Result for me. The not so good news I'm isolating so had to cancel the engineer for Friday to look at TV. The good news I phoned John Lewis and nicely explained my problem and they honoured me an exchange or refund. Just getting refund and waiting on 2022 TVs to come out. Loved the A80J but don't want to risk another panel potentially with banding again.

skyform

Result for me. The not so good news I'm isolating so had to cancel the engineer for Friday to look at TV. The good news I phoned John Lewis and nicely explained my problem and they honoured me an exchange or refund. Just getting refund and waiting on 2022 TVs to come out. Loved the A80J but don't want to risk another panel potentially with banding again.
I'm sorry to hear that. I don't want to wait this long, 2021 models are now on sale. For 2022 models to go on sale I would have to wait until the end of this year, that's just too long and 55A80J for 1215€ is a too good deal to not grab it, so I will try my luck.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

dCS announces Bartók 2.0 firmware upgrade
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Audiovector unveils QR 7 loudspeaker
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on UK streaming services for June 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG UltraGear Gaming Monitors get VESA certification