Sony A80/84J OLED Owners and Discussion Thread

King Dazzar

Correct me if I,m wrong (which I probably am :rotfl:) but surely the tv clipping beyond 3000 nits is irrelevant if the set cannot even reach 1000 nits ?
No, because if the TV could tone map, then you would still see the detail, just not as brightly as originally intended (because as you say the panel cant). Clipping means the detail is lost.

dsingh1991

Hi guys, can someone post the best link for all picture settings please? On my Sky Q box the colours are quite bright and need to be toned down slightly, did anyone else have this problem?

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Correct me if I,m wrong (which I probably am :rotfl:) but surely the tv clipping beyond 3000 nits is irrelevant if the set cannot even reach 1000 nits ?

Lol yes but I read somewhere that the TV tone maps up to 10K nits. Even the ZD9 can't do beyond 1700 nits but it's tone mapping up to 10K nits on the test pattern. Hence my confusion.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
No, because if the TV could tone map, then you would still see the detail, just not as brightly as originally intended (because as you say the panel cant). Clipping means the detail is lost.

Yes. This is what I was trying to convey.
The TV clips beyond 3000 on all modes.

Can you please check the behaviour in your Z9J which is the TV I always wanted to buy.

HDR10 - Gradation preferred clips the least. Off is hard clipping around 2000 nits similar to Brightness preferred.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Yes. This is what I was trying to convey.
The TV clips beyond 3000 on all modes.

Can you please check the behaviour in your Z9J which is the TV I always wanted to buy.

HDR10 - Gradation preferred clips the least. Off is hard clipping around 2000 nits similar to Brightness preferred.
Its actually a bit of a challenge on my Z9J to test as the HDR changes dependant on whether or not you have LD set to High or Medium paired with the fact that it natively goes up towards 3,000 nits anyway without much need for any tone mapping.

However, what I can say though, is that it loves 4,000nit content, particularly on medium LD, with no clipping and it delivers the most amazing HDR I've ever seen. It's next level stuff, its that fantastic.

When sending it 10,000 nit content, it tone maps it, but I would rather clip the source at 4,000 nit and have it tone map that instead (gaming for example). It looks better and less washed out if that makes sense, than leaving it trying to map all 10,000nits.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Since today I am noticing the same content (4K HDR) looking a touch brighter. No idea if it's the panel settling in or my mind playing some tricks.

Wez68

Distinguished Member
Since today I am noticing the same content (4K HDR) looking a touch brighter. No idea if it's the panel settling in or my mind playing some tricks.
I was going to post something last night ,but wanted to see how it was today ,but I noticed my set get brighter yesterday ,it’s got 445 hours on it now ,and it’s definitely brighter

Ruby

I was going to post something last night ,but wanted to see how it was today ,but I noticed my set get brighter yesterday ,it’s got 445 hours on it now ,and it’s definitely brighter
Weirdly while watching Hawkeye today in Dolby Vision I thought the highlights looked a little brighter.

lgans316

Distinguished Member

Interesting. I would say it is a touch brighter maybe 30-50 nits.

Joner40

After owning the tv for 6 months I’ve decided to switch off ‘Reality Creation while watching in ‘Dolby-vision Dark and HDR. Taken some photos of the movie ‘Meg playing off a Panasonic HDR blue-ray player in Dolby vision. only having it on for low SDR now ..🤔 I thought I liked the punch while in R-Creation but it just ruined the hdr quality? I.M.O !!

Attachments

• D35CE357-E5DA-4E29-9CD0-9F64B3C1CB7B.jpeg
    D35CE357-E5DA-4E29-9CD0-9F64B3C1CB7B.jpeg
    230.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 55796847-5D2B-4AC2-AA9E-843726741F08.jpeg
    55796847-5D2B-4AC2-AA9E-843726741F08.jpeg
    200.1 KB · Views: 76
  • 4A6F14ED-2F51-4C2F-AD61-15FF602F453F.jpeg
    4A6F14ED-2F51-4C2F-AD61-15FF602F453F.jpeg
    124.7 KB · Views: 73
  • C4DE4066-4350-4E7A-8C1C-B9768537BF49.jpeg
    C4DE4066-4350-4E7A-8C1C-B9768537BF49.jpeg
    213.8 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Noticed banding about 5 times while watching Eternals (MCU) on D+.

Tomorrow I will try to take some pictures.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
After owning the tv for 6 months I’ve decided to switch off ‘Reality Creation while watching in ‘Dolby-vision Dark and HDR. Taken some photos of the movie ‘Meg playing off a Panasonic HDR blue-ray player in Dolby vision. only having it on for low SDR now ..🤔 I thought I liked the punch while in R-Creation but it just ruined the hdr quality? I.M.O !!

Reality creation is useful with poor quality sources and streaming. I had mine set at 20 for streaming and Off for BD/UHD. It subtly sharpens the picture especially in motion.

HaRd2BeAr

Distinguished Member
Reality creation is useful with poor quality sources and streaming. I had mine set at 20 for streaming and Off for BD/UHD. It subtly sharpens the picture especially in motion.
This might be a stupid question but I used to manually set it to a number ie 20 and then set it to auto. Or is it better to just set it to a number and leave it in manual? Cheers

King Dazzar

This might be a stupid question but I used to manually set it to a number ie 20 and then set it to auto. Or is it better to just set it to a number and leave it in manual? Cheers
Good question and one that I've never fully seen answered. iirc Classy Tech youtuber some time ago said that Auto was equivalent to 15 manual. But tbh and with respect to him, not everything he says I agree with! One thing to be careful of, it can enhance grain in film if you're not careful. More so than just adding a bit of normal sharpness.

Personally I go with either Auto or 10 manual.

lgans316

Distinguished Member

I find Manual 20 to be a safe bet for all sources minus BD/UHD for which you can either set it at Off or Auto.

The only setting I took from Classy is Blue and Green Gain. I actually tried Blue Gain -10 pretty much instantly as it looked too coldish blue out of the box. This setting really helped and enabled me to go back to Warm colour temperature which renders white better without that greenish / yellow hue you get with Expert 1/2. This also means you get slightly better whites on highlights.

Ultimately you use your own settings that suits you and not entirely influenced by so-called industry standards. :)

HaRd2BeAr

Distinguished Member
Good question and one that I've never fully seen answered. iirc Classy Tech youtuber some time ago said that Auto was equivalent to 15 manual. But tbh and with respect to him, not everything he says I agree with! One thing to be careful of, it can enhance grain in film if you're not careful. More so than just adding a bit of normal sharpness.

Personally I go with either Auto or 10 manual.

I find Manual 20 to be a safe bet for all sources minus BD/UHD for which you can either set it at Off or Auto.

The only setting I took from Classy is Blue and Green Gain. I actually tried Blue Gain -10 pretty much instantly as it looked too coldish blue out of the box. This setting really helped and enabled me to go back to Warm colour temperature which renders white better without that greenish / yellow hue you get with Expert 1/2. This also means you get slightly better whites on highlights.

Ultimately you use your own settings that suits you and not entirely influenced by so-called industry standards. :)
Thank you both!

Vegeta

Has anybody had any issues with the sound from some content? I was trying to watch altered carbon but the sound is quite muffled or distorted in some scenes whereby it's almost impossible to hear what they are saying.

So far I've taken off my speaker system so the sound is going through the TV, same problem.
I've changed the different sound settings on the TV (now it's on Dolby Sound) and still having issues. Has anyone come across this and any solutions?

khl87

Standard Member
I recently got an A80J and I notice that whenever I turn it on or off, I hearing a loud popping noise. Do you also experience this issue?

Vegeta

I recently got an A80J and I notice that whenever I turn it on or off, I hearing a loud popping noise. Do you also experience this issue?
I think I know what you mean and I've heard something similar too. Sounded a bit like CRT's did in the past.

Joner40

I have it on Manual at 20 for SDR . Just found myself switching it on and off with other viewings like HDR and Dolby.. I never know what to have it on auto or manual for SkyQ?

onmeheadson

What setting should Film Mode be on when watching 4K blurays?

I watched my first 4k bluray movie at the weekend (Nobody) and the picture quality was awful. I was really disappointed with it. There was loads of what I would call fizzing during the brighter scenes.

I put the same film on on Sky and it was better even though it wasn't as bright/sharp but there was much less fizzing (noise?).

Why would it be so bad?

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for June 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Triangle announces new wireless Borea Active bookshelf speakers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Cleer Audio announces Arc earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Support AVForums with Patreon