Sony A80/84J OLED Owners and Discussion Thread

Kenny1979

Attachments

• PXL_20220120_194807096.jpg
    PXL_20220120_194807096.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 109

Kenny1979

To be honest , yours isn't really that bad , the camera over exposes the pictures 9/10 times
It's quite re assuring to hear someone say that lol. I don't know what the dark and light patches are, obviously a bit worse in photo but still visible.

Wez68

Distinguished Member
It's quite re assuring to hear someone say that lol. I don't know what the dark and light patches are, obviously a bit worse in photo but still visible.
Here's my set tonight , ive taken 2 pictures to show how different they look using 2 different cameras , in this case the first one is taken with an iPhone 13 pro with night mode turned off , the 2nd an iPad 11 pro , the difference is clear , and basically shows that taking pictures of a 5% slide and comparing them online is pointless now, best off using your eyes and normal content ,Edit just noticed the iPad picture is upside down , but makes no difference overall:laugh:
tempImage8FM5Cw.png
tempImage2qltxw.png

Kenny1979

Here's my set tonight , ive taken 2 pictures to show how different they look using 2 different cameras , in this case the first one is taken with an iPhone 13 pro with night mode turned off , the 2nd an iPad 11 pro , the difference is clear , and basically shows that taking pictures of a 5% slide and comparing them online is pointless now, best off using your eyes and normal content ,Edit just noticed the iPad picture is upside down , but makes no difference overall:laugh:View attachment 1640435View attachment 1640436
Yours looks very similar to mines. Mines may be a bit worse. It's a really great TV but I really don't like the banding I'm seeing in certain content just above black. Makes me wonder if I should have waited on the Sony X95K mini led.

Wez68

Distinguished Member
Yours looks very similar to mines. Mines may be a bit worse. It's a really great TV but I really don't like the banding I'm seeing in certain content just above black. Makes me wonder if I should have waited on the Sony X95K mini led.
With my pictures neither of them represent what they look like in real life , I genuinely have no issues with mine , and could still return it until the 28/02/22 With Costco , but its staying as its fine, unless it drops in price considerably below the £2399 I paid , then I,ll return it and buy another :D

Flodorf

Novice Member
Dear forum members,

I have a question regarding my new 55 inch A84J. I am really satisfied with my purchase, but I have started to notice this weird off-angle reflection occuring. I suppose this is not unexpected given how thin the TV is, so getting a perfectly straight glas panel seems really hard.

However, this is alot more than some other examples I could find. Picture quality is A-OK, so no problems there.

I included a YT link showing the reflection, notice how the plant gets totally warped!

Is this okay and can I stop worrying about possible damage to the TV?

Cheers,

Last edited:

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Update on banding:

It's still there and I am still fighting it. Marks Electrical have asked for some pictures again.

In Football, I can see the faint bands in motion when the camera pans horizontally but somehow they go away when I pause.

In a confused state now. My mind says keep it and learn to live with it as it only shows up occasionally. My heart says return it for a refund. Tough call and irritating when there are folks out there with cleaner panels.

I have gone with Warm colour temperature after reducing Blue Gain by 13 clicks. Its definitely making the whites look more pronounced. Overall I am pleased with the TV despite few shortcomings but I wouldn't hesitate to swap it for a Panasonic 77LZ2000 or Sony 85X95K if they perform better.

Wez68

Distinguished Member
Put my picture settings back to standard today , and I have to say on my late 2021 build 77" at least , Sony have got it right , in isolation the Classy settings look good , but once back to standard its clearly better to my eyes.

Chamberlain

Update on banding:

It's still there and I am still fighting it. Marks Electrical have asked for some pictures again.

In Football, I can see the faint bands in motion when the camera pans horizontally but somehow they go away when I pause.

In a confused state now. My mind says keep it and learn to live with it as it only shows up occasionally. My heart says return it for a refund. Tough call and irritating when there are folks out there with cleaner panels.

I have gone with Warm colour temperature after reducing Blue Gain by 13 clicks. Its definitely making the whites look more pronounced. Overall I am pleased with the TV despite few shortcomings but I wouldn't hesitate to swap it for a Panasonic 77LZ2000 or Sony 85X95K if they perform better.

It’s tough, especially when you hear others say they have a cleaner panel. I was planning to return mine for a long time but then one day just decided to keep it. My luck with 65" havent been good so i just couldn't be bothered to do it one more time so im staying with this one for a few years. I use it mostly for SDR shows and then i watch HDR and really dark content on my 55HZ1000 instead.

parkgt

Standard Member
Put my picture settings back to standard today , and I have to say on my late 2021 build 77" at least , Sony have got it right , in isolation the Classy settings look good , but once back to standard its clearly better to my eyes.
Which of Classy's 3 different approaches to settings are you referring to?

Kenny1979

Update on banding:

Im in the exact same dilemma as you. It's annoying the fact you know people have clean panels. John Lewis asked for pictures of mines so waiting on a response. If they do nothing just need to live with it. If they take it back just going for refund, don't want to be in the cycle of getting new TVs constantly. I will wait for reviews of X75K and X85K mini led Sony.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Looks like this TV is clipping beyond 3000 nits on all picture modes.

On my ZD9, in standard preset it doesn't clip until 10000 nits. The other presets clips beyond 4000 nits

Above is based on a YouTube test pattern.

Also SDR Brightness on this TV is only so so despite reaching required full field SDR brightness. The ZD9 is 700 nits full field whilst the A80J is about 150 nits.

King Dazzar

Update on banding:

I bought an 83" C1 from Richer Sounds which had a very distracting centre band. Which was visible in most bright HDR content when panning. Trouble was, it was difficult to capture on camera, though I did get it on camera, because as we all know uniformity is usually present in specific luminance scenarios. Richer Sounds tried insinuating that I was looking for faults and even called me something along the lines of a dead pixel hunter! Which was totally unjustified. That along with some other drama's I had with them, I wont ever be using them again. Though they did take back the panel, so I do give them credit for that. On a following phone call with me they got a bit huffy and puffy telling me they couldn't see the fault, but were only watching SDR content on it! Which shows even the store manager hadn't even understood the issue from the get go! Had they been more upstanding about it all, they would have ultimately had me spend even more money with them on an 85" Z9J. But that's how it is these days.

My point is, even "reputable" retailers, can get very funny when it comes to customers pointing out that a several thousand pound piece of hardware isn't of acceptable quality and needs to be either replaced or refunded. So, be mindful of how much time has elapsed, great that you've already reported the fault, and I personally would be sending it back. You are continually debating it, which tells me you're seeing it too often and in too much content.

The fact that my Z9J is pristine in terms of panel uniformity, proves that good panels do exist and can be made. If companies want to ship products without proper uniformity QC/QA process, then why should any of us accept it?

Good luck with your journey. As I said before, you'll end up with something you're happy with eventually.

Wez68

Distinguished Member
Looks like this TV is clipping beyond 3000 nits on all picture modes.

On my ZD9, in standard preset it doesn't clip until 10000 nits. The other presets clips beyond 4000 nits

Above is based on a YouTube test pattern.

Also SDR Brightness on this TV is only so so despite reaching required full field SDR brightness. The ZD9 is 700 nits full field whilst the A80J is about 150 nits.
Correct me if I,m wrong (which I probably am :rotfl:) but surely the tv clipping beyond 3000 nits is irrelevant if the set cannot even reach 1000 nits ?

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

LG UltraGear Gaming Monitors get VESA certification
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony confirms UK pricing for A90K and A75K Bravia XR 4K OLED TVs
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
LG announces new CineBeam HU915QE 4K laser projector
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast | Maverick IMAX Review, 4K Disc News and More