Sony A80/84J OLED Owners and Discussion Thread

Noahdavid1984

Thank you
What colour temp did you use? Was it warm and then calibrated or expert 1?
On another forum I’ve seen classy say that do dark uses a different standard of D65 and the fix there is to use warm for DV and all settings with a couple of changes on the basic 2pt calibration and that gives the same colour temp for all settings

Noahdavid1984

As per here…

Attachments

• FE7A1570-F46E-4610-962C-1F3DFF71218B.png
    FE7A1570-F46E-4610-962C-1F3DFF71218B.png
    449 KB · Views: 84

lgans316

Distinguished Member
I haven't noticed lip sync on internal apps but I don't use it much with my audio system as for streaming is use ATV 4K box and use UHD / Media player for the rest all connected to the soundbar HDMI In thanks to temperamental and flaky eARC

JohnnyMN

Always been less than impressed with NowTV's video quality but the XR processor is doing an amazing job upscaling it and I haven't noticed any artefacts at all. I think I prefer the TV's upscaling to my Nvidia Shield Pro.

deekay37

Has anyone else seen any issues with lipsync on the internal apps?

Ive replicated this issue a few times now. The lip sync goes way out without changing any settings but a reboot fixes it?
Yeh I get this on internal apps prime is the best Netflix and disney plus hit and miss

Mallett94

Distinguished Member
Always been less than impressed with NowTV's video quality but the XR processor is doing an amazing job upscaling it and I haven't noticed any artefacts at all. I think I prefer the TV's upscaling to my Nvidia Shield Pro.
Do you use Boost Pass to get 1080p (and also 50fps for the sports channels). Base NowTV quality is 720p.

ruffage

Distinguished Member
Reality Creation. I've left mine on Auto and it upscales my 1080p films from Kodi brilliantly.

JohnnyMN

Do you use Boost Pass to get 1080p (and also 50fps for the sports channels). Base NowTV quality is 720p.

Yeah I use the boost pass to get 1080p. I don't watch the sports channels though. Just entertainment and movies.

JohnnyMN

Reality Creation. I've left mine on Auto and it upscales my 1080p films from Kodi brilliantly.

I have it on Auto too. 1080p content upscaled looks amazing. Especially from Blu-ray discs.

JohnnyMN

Do you use a sound bar/receiver? Any issues with playing NOW boost content?

Yeah I use a soundbar. No issues with Now boost content. Sometimes sound doesn't work (usually if something has been paused a while and the soundbar has went off automatically) with internal apps but I hold down the power button and restart and then it works fine.

Heckie

Yeah I use a soundbar. No issues with Now boost content. Sometimes sound doesn't work (usually if something has been paused a while and the soundbar has went off automatically) with internal apps but I hold down the power button and restart and then it works fine.
Thanks for the reply.

This is interesting. I get PL-0 errors everyone I try to stream live NOW content through my Sonos Arc.

On demand works fine though.

JohnnyMN

Thanks for the reply.

This is interesting. I get PL-0 errors everyone I try to stream live NOW content through my Sonos Arc.

On demand works fine though.

Do you think it's outputting a sound format the arc doesn't like?

deekay37

Make sure av sync is on for Netflix and Disney and off for everything else.
I have av sync set to auto , if I change it for say Netflix do I have to change it back for sky q?

Fido87456

So I'm returning my TV due to the number of bugs I have found in my first week of ownership. As truly fantastic as the picture is, if they have bugs in something as simple as the user interface, I wonder what bugs might be lurking in the more technologically challenging areas of the TV... These were all experienced in the latest firmware as at 11th Jan 2022.

1. After tuning Freeview, and then deleting the trash channels and reordering the rest to my preference, changing to BBC News HD with the guide or the channel +/- buttons displayed BBC 4 HD instead (BBC 4 HD was one above BBC News HD in my preferred channel order). Hard restarting the TV didn't fix it, performing the whole retuning, deleting trash and re-ordering process again resulted in exactly the same issue...

2. To work around #1 I downloaded the Sony Channel Editor and after performing a full retune again, I exported the channel list to a USB stick and did my deleting and sorting in the channel editor, upon importing BBC 4 HD and BBC News HD behaved themselves, problem solved (I thought). Later in the day I noticed changing to BBC2 HD actually displayed ITV HD, a hard restart fixed that, but it did happen again a couple of days later.

3. This has only happened once, but the TV Guide started taking over a minute to change channels, a hard restart fixed that.

4. Again, only happened once, but after changing channel, the info box remained at the bottom of the screen, changing channels again didn't remove it, a soft restart fixed that.

5. While fiddling around configuring things, I happened to hide the AV channel from the screen that allows you to decide what the 'TV' button does, later on I wanted to change the default behaviour of 4:3 content to 'Normal'. Every time I went through the settings and before I could get to the necessary screen, the TV changed channel to AV, and the 4:3 control became inactive, several attempts and restarts later I recalled removing the AV channel from the TV button options, and put it back and did a hard restart, on my next attempt the errant behavior stopped and I was able to change the 4:3 default setting (I'm a computer programmer, so I automatically think 'what could I have possibly done to break this', when things don't behave :))

5. The very last straw was playing Demon's souls on my PS5 yesterday (actually doing well at one of the more tricky boss fights), and the tv rebooted itself... My wife shouted through to ask what was wrong at my wail of anguish and heartfelt swearing!

This isn't really a rant (I hope), I'm posting more in the hope that a Sony employee might be lurking on the thread and read it... or in case anyone else experiences similar issues and wonders if they are alone...

Cheers
Rich

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Vertical banding update:

So I have watched around 8 movies in my replacement 77A80J and also did one panel refresh after the 6th movie.

Banding is still there. The bands that show up in test pattern also shows up in movies and of course when I browse the Google TV UI. Sometimes it is very minor to the point it doesn't bother me and sometimes it just looks ugly. Understand it's impossible to get a perfectly clean panel but there is none of it on my 65GZ OLED. At 77 inches, I expect very minimal band to the point it's super thin and almost unnoticeable from a reasonable viewing distance.

I am going to give wait for 1 more week and make the final call.

onmeheadson

Evening all,

I'm just setting up a Sony 4K bluray and I noticed on the HDMI signal format settings on the TV that HDMI 4 says Enhanced Format (Dolby Vision).

What is that for? Do the other HDMI inputa not support DV then?

I've currently got Sky Q UHD to HDMI 1, the bluray player to HDMI 2 and the Sonos Arc to HDMI 3 eArc.

Is that OK? I'm I missing out on anything by not using HDMI? The bluray player and Sky Q both support DV I believe?

GeorgeL78

Evening all,

I'm just setting up a Sony 4K bluray and I noticed on the HDMI signal format settings on the TV that HDMI 4 says Enhanced Format (Dolby Vision).

What is that for? Do the other HDMI inputa not support DV then?

I've currently got Sky Q UHD to HDMI 1, the bluray player to HDMI 2 and the Sonos Arc to HDMI 3 eArc.

Is that OK? I'm I missing out on anything by not using HDMI? The bluray player and Sky Q both support DV I believe?
As long as you set HDMI 2 to Enhanced you’ll get Dolby Vision. The extra setting on ports 3 and 4 is an either or option of the 4K/120hz capabilities or the Dolby Vision option which is the same as 1 and 2 set to Enhanced.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Vertical banding update:

So I have watched around 8 movies in my replacement 77A80J and also did one panel refresh after the 6th movie.

Banding is still there. The bands that show up in test pattern also shows up in movies and of course when I browse the Google TV UI. Sometimes it is very minor to the point it doesn't bother me and sometimes it just looks ugly. Understand it's impossible to get a perfectly clean panel but there is none of it on my 65GZ OLED. At 77 inches, I expect very minimal band to the point it's super thin and almost unnoticeable from a reasonable viewing distance.

I am going to give wait for 1 more week and make the final call.

First time watching Football.

Vertical bands showing up when the camera pans horizontally.

Gave an heads up to the retailer about this. If no improvement by end of the week, will request for a return and refund.

Kenny1979

First time watching Football.

Vertical bands showing up when the camera pans horizontally.

Gave an heads up to the retailer about this. If no improvement by end of the week, will request for a return and refund.
I've tried forgetting about my banding and any content I've watched personally I don't see it much. If I watch anything that's been recommended to test for banding, I do see it but that's me going looking for it. I'm past my return period now and just under 100 hours. I bought from John Lewis and took out the extended warranty. If it starts getting worse or bothers more in the future I will take it further.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for June 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Triangle announces new wireless Borea Active bookshelf speakers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Cleer Audio announces Arc earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Support AVForums with Patreon