Sony A80/84J OLED Owners and Discussion Thread

Kenny1979

Anyone else get a slight edging effect on the edges of black bars when watching movies? Hard to describe it, but it's almost as if there's a slight fade between the edge of the black and where the rest of the film's image starts.
Are u seeing it in on streaming services, or from blu ray player, or all sources?

lgans316

Distinguished Member
It's been nearly 2 weeks since owning the 77A80J. 77 now looking not so big. Feels like a 65 and the 65ZD9 in the bedroom looks like a 50 inch TV. :)

Very bright content - ZD9 destroys the OLED. There are some Sony HDR demo and some of the bright ones sparkle on the ZD9. Mad Max Furry Road 4K on the ZD9 is a surreal experience Just breathtaking to behold. I remember my jaw dropping on the floor when I had the 75ZH8 briefly whilst watching bright HDR scenes.

Still not ruling out a 85X95K or 85Z9K with Backlight Master Drive.

For now, the 77A80J is quenching my thirst quite well.

Still seeing banding and hoping it improves over time.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
One aspect of the picture processing I don't like and it lags behind the Panasonic GZ1000 OLED is near black handling. I am seeing near black flashing on Apple TV 4K streams which is most likely due to bit starving.

Chamberlain

One aspect of the picture processing I don't like and it lags behind the Panasonic GZ1000 OLED is near black handling. I am seeing near black flashing on Apple TV 4K streams which is most likely due to bit starving.

Yeah it is a little worse than my HZ1000 in that regard, still improved compared to previous sony oleds though imo so it doesn't bother me.

JohnnyMN

Calibration might help with that mate. It used to drive me bananas on my 2015 LG OLED but I have yet to see it on this and I've been looking for it because I hate it 😂.

JohnnyMN

My pal came round to watch a film and is absolutely disgusted that my A80J is called "Big Daddy" 🤣

Was even funnier when I asked my Google nest to turn it on and she replied in her sultry voice "Now turning on Big Daddy" 😂.

djcla

Distinguished Member
So had my a80j 65" a week and very impressed with it so far.. The only niggle I have is stutter on certain panning shots. I watched the start of Spiderman: homecoming on Sony core app . There is a really slow panning shot of a high rise building right at the start and it's not good to my eyes.

Can anyone link to the recommended settings for these TV's.

Edit was actually Spiderman: homecoming

Last edited:

Kenny1979

It's been nearly 2 weeks since owning the 77A80J. 77 now looking not so big. Feels like a 65 and the 65ZD9 in the bedroom looks like a 50 inch TV. :)

Very bright content - ZD9 destroys the OLED. There are some Sony HDR demo and some of the bright ones sparkle on the ZD9. Mad Max Furry Road 4K on the ZD9 is a surreal experience Just breathtaking to behold. I remember my jaw dropping on the floor when I had the 75ZH8 briefly whilst watching bright HDR scenes.

Still not ruling out a 85X95K or 85Z9K with Backlight Master Drive.

For now, the 77A80J is quenching my thirst quite well.

Still seeing banding and hoping it improves over time.

So had my a80j 65" a week and very impressed with it so far.. The only niggle I have is stutter on certain panning shots. I watched the start of Spiderman far from home on Sony core app . There is a really slow panning shot of a high rise building right at the start and it's not good to my eyes.

So had my a80j 65" a week and very impressed with it so far.. The only niggle I have is stutter on certain panning shots. I watched the start of Spiderman far from home on Sony core app . There is a really slow panning shot of a high rise building right at the start and it's not good to my eyes.

For streaming apps try motionflow on custom and smoothness on 1 or 2. For blu rays I have motion flow either at default which is custom and min, or off. Streaming apps I maybe bump up smoothness a bit. Oleds do tend to have a bit of judder due to the instant response time of pixels.

djcla

Distinguished Member
For streaming apps try motionflow on custom and smoothness on 1 or 2. For blu rays I have motion flow either at default which is custom and min, or off. Streaming apps I maybe bump up smoothness a bit. Oleds do tend to have a bit of judder due to the instant response time of pixels.
Yeah I think I've got it on custom and minimum I did play around with it and only seemed make it worse. I only watch streaming apps anyway as I don't have any physical media. It's a really good scene though to test your TV limitations.

I'll try it it on 1 or 2 next and see if it improves.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Motion flow - Custom 1 for me. Anything above is SOE from hell. I don't know why Sony's motion interpolation is so sensitive. Maybe they can keep the slider range bigger and add more smoothening steps instead.

24 fps material will have some telecine judder as it's part of the source.

I see zero stutter which shows up once in a while on the GZ OLED (infamous micro stutter bug).

JohnnyMN

I have film mode set to high for internal apps because they're native 60hz. I'm sure Vincent Teoh said something about it in one of his videos. It might help some of the stutter.

Noahdavid1984

I had the exact same issue.
For streaming apps out motion flow to on, smoothness and clearness both off.
Film mode high.

For everything else
Smoothness 1, clearness off
Film mode low.

These settings also don’t give you an soap opera effect. Make sure you have film mode on high for Netflix and other apps.

djcla

Distinguished Member
I had the exact same issue.
For streaming apps out motion flow to on, smoothness and clearness both off.
Film mode high.

For everything else
Smoothness 1, clearness off
Film mode low.

These settings also don’t give you an soap opera effect. Make sure you have film mode on high for Netflix and other apps.
I think that's what I've got them set to and it's pretty good 95% of the time. Just the odd shot where I can see it.

Alcopoppa

Does anyone know whether having a professional calibration, during which I think most calibeators will use Pro 1 & 2, also mean that the colour and other accuracy e.g grayscale that you gain via calibration will also apply to dolby Vision mode?

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Does anyone know where the actual playstore app is on this tv been through all the apps and can't find it

Click Input button on the remote and scroll to the right or on the mic say Open Google Play store

michaelgordon

Ive done some proper watching over Friday & Saturday, DV, HDR both streaming and discs.

I can say, for me that the calibration was worth it. Dark scenes seemingly have more detail and i no longer have the grey film, i dont know what this was but it was like someone put a tint film (like car windows) on the TV at times it sounds worse than it was but the picture would be slightly, very slightly grey all over.

Im very, very happy i never have to touch picture settings ever again, ill just use custom pro 2 for everything and it auto changes to Dolby vision dark for DV content.

michaelgordon

Does anyone know whether having a professional calibration, during which I think most calibeators will use Pro 1 & 2, also mean that the colour and other accuracy e.g grayscale that you gain via calibration will also apply to dolby Vision mode?
I think so.

The calibration i got done was custom pro 1 for bright room & Custom pro 2 for dark room. He calibrated expert 1 & expert 2. DV uses the same colour temperature and all the 20pt adjustments are copied over between the different picture modes, the only thing that was not is the per colour adjustments. Jules explained that this is because Sony dosent allow this to happen, they dont allow their DV file to be overwritten on the TV like the other picture modems

Alcopoppa

I think so.

The calibration i got done was custom pro 1 for bright room & Custom pro 2 for dark room. He calibrated expert 1 & expert 2. DV uses the same colour temperature and all the 20pt adjustments are copied over between the different picture modes, the only thing that was not is the per colour adjustments. Jules explained that this is because Sony dosent allow this to happen, they dont allow their DV file to be overwritten on the TV like the other picture modems
Thank you

michaelgordon

Has anyone else seen any issues with lipsync on the internal apps?

Ive replicated this issue a few times now. The lip sync goes way out without changing any settings but a reboot fixes it?

Ains

I think that's what I've got them set to and it's pretty good 95% of the time. Just the odd shot where I can see it.
I'm not sure you can shut out panning stutter completely with any combination of settings. You see panning stutter at the cinema, it's a factor of the process, surely?

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Cleer Audio announces Arc earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
iFi Audio launches new Go bar portable DAC/headphone amp
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony adds LinkBuds S to its earphone series
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
T+A announces Solitaire T headphones