Sony A80/84J OLED Owners and Discussion Thread

Mallett94

Distinguished Member
The A80J is plenty bright enough. My son plays PS5 in Vivid mode and it’s really too bright.
Tell your son he should play in Game Mode so he has the least amount of input lag possible...

htothe

Novice Member
I hope you haggled on price ?
im extremely bad with haggling :((

Couldnt even convice him to do somthing with the "100£ ps store credit" if u buy sony tv before 30th of November Promo" sony was running.
My currys purchase was meeting deadline, but since ill cancell and buy directly from sony center i wont have that promo, 30th of november was the deadline....

Wez68

Distinguished Member
im extremely bad with haggling :((

Couldnt even convice him to do somthing with the "100£ ps store credit" if u buy sony tv before 30th of November Promo" sony was running.
My currys purchase was meeting deadline, but since ill cancell and buy directly from sony center i wont have that promo, 30th of november was the deadline....
Just ask what is the best price you can do on the tv ,if they don’t offer anything off then personally I would walk away ,but in my experience of Sony centres they will do a deal,but remember plenty of other retailers will welcome your custom

Ruby

I'm having my Sky package upgraded from Sky HD+ to Sky Q UHD this coming week. On my 77" A80J does it matter which of the HDMI ports I get the box connected to (i.e. one of the 4k 120hz ports or one of the non 4k 120hz ports)?

onmeheadson

I'm having my Sky package upgraded from Sky HD+ to Sky Q UHD this coming week. On my 77" A80J does it matter which of the HDMI ports I get the box connected to (i.e. one of the 4k 120hz ports or one of the non 4k 120hz ports)?
No, it doesn't matter. You only need to connect one of the latest games consoles to the 120hz ports.

I have Sky UHD plugged in to HDMI 1, works a treat.

Ruby

No, it doesn't matter. You only need to connect one of the latest games consoles to the 120hz ports.

I have Sky UHD plugged in to HDMI 1, works a treat.
Thanks. I'm not a gamer and won't be connecting any games consoles. I'm assuming what you said regarding Sky Q UHD, is also true for my 4k player as well (i.e. it can be connected to the non 4k 120hz ports without any disadvantage)?

scOOtt84

Novice Member
Hi,
Just wanted to know if the calibration proces of my 65A80J which was made by proffessional calibrator, was done right.
I would be appreciated if someone who has knowledge about this proccess write some thoughts.
Here is how my TV was calibrated.
Three HDMI inputs were calibrated.
HDMI 2 for viewing sat channels and bulit in TV streaming apps like Youtube, Amazon Prime, Netflix.
On this Source I watch all HD/4K SDR content in Custom Calibrated mode.
I manually switch to Cinema mode which is calibrated for viewing HD/4K HDR content.
DolbyVision Dark mode, which also was calibrated, from Netflix app starts automaticly by TV when the content starts.
The calibrator does not unlocked Custom for Pro1 and Custom for Pro2 viewing modes, so there is no 20pt white balance.
10pt white balance (sticked to Expert1 Colour Temperature) and advanced colour temperature is the same for Custom (SDR), Cinema(HDR) and DolbyVision Dark modes. The only thing that is different for this all viewing modes is Colour Settings for Red,Green,Blue,Cyan,Magenta,Yellow.
For HDMI 3 there is Game mode calibrated for HDR gaming from Omen Laptop and I use Cinema calibrated mode for watching 4K HDR movies. I switch between this two manually. I do not care about input lag while watching movies so I use Cinema mode (settings retyped and exactly the same as they are in HDMI 2). There is also separate settings calibrated for SDR. I use them only for non HDR.
10pt white balance (sticked to Expert1 Colour Temperature) is calibrated and this settings are the same as calibrated in HDMI 2. But advanced colour temperature (r,g,b gain etc) and colour settings for r,g,b,c,m,y are different from this on HDMI 2.
For HDMI 4 there is Game calibrated mode exactly the same settings as in HDMI 3 for HDR and SDR and I am using it for HDR Gaming and SDR content.

My question is:
Is it normal to share expert1 colour temperature between SDR and HDR and DV Dark ?

jbecks

Standard Member
I'm surprised to hear this, as I came from a Sony XF9005 to my first ever oled and I haven't missed the 'blow my retinas out' of the XF. The brightness aspect was a little concern leading up to my purchase, but in the end I had absolutely nothing to worry about. It's been plenty bright enough during gaming, as well as Dolby Vision films.
I guess it all depends on the individual at the end of the day.

I massively improved it by changing HDR tone mapping to brightness and adv contract enhancer to high. (Dolby bright)

Ains

No issue with the port but compare the picture quality between having the Sky Q set to 1080i output (so the TV does the upscaling) and 2160p output (so the Sky Q is doing it).

I find a noticeable difference in the sharpness of the image which can't be completely dialled out by changing the TV settings if you run the Sky Q in 2160 all the time. It's a little frustrating as you then have to manually switch between the two modes to watch anything in UHD, but I find it's worth it.

Could be my box, of course.

Magenof

Standard Member
You guys think they'll give us OLED owners VRR by the end of the year? Already December and still nothing ... seems increasingly unlikely.

Not that I miss it on PS5, but xbox series x would be fun with VRR.

Mallett94

Distinguished Member
You guys think they'll give us OLED owners VRR by the end of the year? Already December and still nothing ... seems increasingly unlikely.

Not that I miss it on PS5, but xbox series x would be fun with VRR.
Are the games not optimised well enough that they run at either a locked 30/60/120 fps?

It's always been my opinion that VRR tech is more for PCs due to the wide variety of hardware the games can be played on. One of the benefits of consoles is that the hardware is the same and standard so the games can be fully optimised to hit a certain frame rate, negating the need really for VRR.

Interested to hear others opinions on this. I wonder if sometimes.people like to see all the available features ticked, even if they're not really needed, if you know mean?

nix

My TV is arriving on Tuesday. I was wondering if you could please advise me on how to connect it all together. I have the following :

Sony 65A80
Samsung K950 soundbar CEC and True HD Atmos
Sky Q
Nvidia Shield Pro 2019
Xbox one S
Nintendo Switch
4k hdmi switch 60hz
Logitech harmony remote

The Shield gets most usage followed by Sky Q and then Xbox. I should also probably mention I use a cabinet with a built in cantiliver mount

I'm seriously tempted to upgrade the soundbar to a Samsung Q950a but I'm out of cash...

Many thanks 👍

ruffage

Distinguished Member
Anyone know an app to change the screensaver timeout? It’s hidden by Google and is set to 5 mins, and I want to reduce mine to 1 minute.

Mikef

I know someone was asking about feet last week...my advice is if you want to take the feet out once you have the tv in situ, have someone to help you. I did it on my own at the weekend, and sort of got away with it, though at one point I stopped the tv falling forward with my forehead* . You need to wiggle them a little and give a hard tug.

*any suggestions for how to safely clean the screen gratefully received...

cheers

mike

Ruby

Right, when I finally unpack my 77inch A80J this week, the plan is to turn off the light sensor, put all SDR and HDR10 material to Custom mode, and Dolby Vision material to Dolby Vision Dark mode.

Is there anything else I need to consider - like updating the software, disabling eco mode or over scan features (and if so, how do I do that)?

Also, should I connect all my equipment (e.g. 4k player, blu-ray player) before I turn the TV on for the first time?

Also, are the feet interchangeable or are they each marked to go on specific sides of the TV (i.e. left and right side)?

Last edited:

smokingman

Novice Member
I decided to go to the source to see if I could get any update on the lack of iPlayer. This was the BBC reply - pretty much as expected but seems to suggest that, either way, Sony need to get this sorted, not the BBC :

Thanks for contacting BBC iPlayer Support regarding the availability of the iPlayer app on your new Sony TV.

I've had a look and it appears that we don't currently support any 2021 Sony TV's. I would recommend keeping an eye on this page for any updates:

As explained on our FAQ page:

There are a few reasons why a TV may not be certified by the BBC:

- Sometimes certification can take a while if an issue or bug has been detected that affects the user experience. In such instances, the manufacturer may need to look into the underlying issue and attempt to resolve it before we can reassess its suitability for certification.
- If your TV is a new model, it’s possible that it’s awaiting certification. The BBC cannot comment on a particular device under certification, but you could speak to the manufacturer.

You can contact Sony here:
Please note that the BBC have no control over third party websites

That being said, I'm sorry for any frustration caused by this. Over time, we aim to support as many devices as we possibly can.

I've made your comments available to the BBC iPlayer product team, including the Head of iPlayer via our audience feedback report.

Thanks again for getting in touch and all the best,

Given that all their 2020 TVs support an iPlayer app (and even have UHD support), this is either a certification issue or a problem with Google TV (which of course, the 2020 sets don't have).
I have installed BBC iplayer on my new A84 55inch and it works with out issue. There is a guy on Youtube call "Lets crack on" who has a how to. Here is his site link:-https://letscrackon.org/downloads/

One cavate do not do any updates to iplayer as it brakes it, I tried to update mine and it broke!

Mikef

You can change the feet configuration, but they are side specific...this is to do with the locking position. If you go for the taller config, the feet disassemble, and you re-assemble with the 'sticking up bit' on the other foot.

Mallett94

Distinguished Member
I have installed BBC iplayer on my new A84 55inch and it works with out issue. There is a guy on Youtube call "Lets crack on" who has a how to. Here is his site link:-https://letscrackon.org/downloads/

One cavate do not do any updates to iplayer as it brakes it, I tried to update mine and it broke!
Assume this is a version which caps out at 720p and doesn't give you access to any of the UHD content that exists on iPlayer?

bam27beer

Heckie

Hi folks. Got my 65 installed over the weekend. Ran cables through the walls so it’s looking clean.

Had a weird issue with Now TV though. I changed the setting to 5.1 surround as I have Boost but kept getting ‘PL-0’ errors when viewing live content (such as F1). It worked fine on demand and works fine when set back to stereo.

Tried all the usual steps but nothing seems to work. Anyone else having this issue or know of how to sort it?

Attachments

• 7CAD262B-2954-4F2C-A65B-1F6D2ECD58FF.jpeg
    7CAD262B-2954-4F2C-A65B-1F6D2ECD58FF.jpeg
    223.9 KB · Views: 50

Sarah13

Novice Member
Hello, we received our A80J a few weeks ago and set it up with our PS5 and BT TV box. The tv has now been put on the wall and the people changed the HDMI ports. The bt box is now in HDMI 4 (it was in 1). I’ve managed to change the TV button to go to HDMI 4, but when I press the TV button when on it, it doesn’t come up with the control bar at the bottom anymore, and I cannot change the channels with the remote now when I used to be able to. Is there a way of reconfiguring this so it works with the remote? I have gone into settings and channels and inputs, and set up the box, but it doesn’t give the option of setting up the remote. Have they happened to put it in a HDMI port that doesn’t let the remote control work?

jasmart

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Audio Pro expands C10 MkII speaker range with new colours
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
BBC licence fee to be scrapped in 2027
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for February 2022