Sony A80/84J OLED Owners and Discussion Thread

Smiffy 2

I do like the look of that remote, but have wasted too much money this month. Does it have any more weight than the original?
Not really, no.
But it looks nicer, and the backlight is really useful at this time of year.

JohnnyMN

can someone please advise the best way to set up my a80j hdmi ports

I have an nvidia shield, ps5 and soundbar, should i just put the soundbar in the earc, the ps5 in the other 2.1 and the shield in one of the others?

Thanks

Sounds to me like you already have it all sorted 👍🏻

MikeBr

Standard Member
im still struggling to get the tv to output the correct atmos output to my amp. nothing from the tv shows atmos only dd+, other direct sources (virgin, xbox) do. enhanced hdmi is on and the hdmi is the same as previous that output it from my b7

I had the same problem. For me it was the Fire cube. I didn't know that the Cube had changed the settings to 1080P, HD only which must have happened during an update or whatever. Anyway, I changed everything back to 4K source only. Still the same problem. Then I went through every setting in the Cube and noticed that the CEC was off. Turned it on and that was it. I have dobly atmos, vision and Imax from the TV to my Arcam avr. See if your CEC settings are also off.

bam27beer

I'm still waiting on my order to be delivered and I had a question....

I'm currently using a Nvidia Shield (2017) for all my streaming (Emby, Netflix, iPlayer and IPTV + VPN). Can I use Google TV on the Sony instead?

I've been connecting the Shield to a Samsung K950 soundbar and ordered a 2019 Shield Pro as an impulse BF purchase. I was wondering if I need it at all if the TV can decode atmos and upscale to 4K. Or am I missing something?

Many thanks.
i loaded on kodi and surfshark if it helps

dsingh1991

Novice Member
Quick question guys, I won't be getting a soundbar for my A80J (our living room isn't huge plus there won't be space under TV as we are building a media wall and need a space for the sky box and ps5), is it possible to have 2 sonos one's (gen 2) that connect to the TV via wifi? Has anyone done this and if so, how do they sound?

pure_geordie

What is the difference between Sony A80J and A84J?

The main difference between the A80J and the A83J/A84J is a single feature. The A83J/A84J have a "Rich Color Enhancer", while the A80J lacks this feature. ... The A80J series is based on the new Cognitive Processor XR which enables a wide set of features: XR Picture for deep, natural, and real imaging.
No. 4
1638396174865.png
sorry !!

Kingmob04

Anyone submitted a Lowest Price Guarantee claim form through the Richer Sounds website? Keeps telling me I'm missing the first name, but there's no field for it :D

Wasabi

Does anyone use the built in terrestrial tuner? Is it any good? I was wondering whether to ditch the Humax and make do with what the TV can provide, if the EPG is snappy and I think it has 2 tuners?
I've just installed the TV and like you I ditched the Humax (it was starting to give up), I'm no expert but epg is fine. And yes it has 2 tuners (rather than 3 on Humax), however, it is only Sony and Samsung who has dual tuners and Freesat combo, so for me it's as best I could get.

Wasabi

I am using 4k fire stick at the moment. Till all the catch up programs are available. If not then the wife is sorted.
Have you managed to enable Sony remote to control the 4k fire stick? It doesn't work for me.

Quite annoying.

Wasabi

Hi fellow owners, I have just joined the oled ownership.
Had panny great 720p plasma/Freesat Humax, but humax started to die, owned neo-qled qn94a 65 for 3 weeks and it was returned today (too many reasons to list why I returned it). I was then one of the lucky ones that got RS to price match Costco.

This Sony picture quality is definitely one notch up on the Samsung.

+ Points for Freesat (my Ariel doesn't work) and dual tuners (Same as Samsung, but no other brands has it)
Flexible feet position
- No catch up, and once it has, we have to enable youview people say.

I am experiencing 2 annoying things and I'm wondering if anyone has experience the same.

1 - has anyone unsuccessful or successful managed to sync the Sony remote to control 4k fire stick? As I have not.

2 - if I watch a tv recording, if I press the centre button and then up or down on the joystick, that menu is stuck forever! It doesn't disappear after a few seconds. Please see photo attached.
Has anyone found a solution? I have to stop the program, then resume again.

Though I had quite a few issues with the Samsung, I must give credit to the OS, it works better than the Sony. Fire stick is an "app" icon, whilst here I have to choose hdmi. It also has picture in picture as well as dual picture. Can also adjust the size of the subtitles.

But I have to live with compromises and I chose picture quality over easier to operate.

Attachments

• PXL_20211202_012930654.jpg
    PXL_20211202_012930654.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 96

jasmart

1 - has anyone unsuccessful or successful managed to sync the Sony remote to control 4k fire stick? As I have not.
Yes, I have a 4K Fire Stick and can confirm the Sony TV remote controls it.
(The Fire stick is connected to one of the HDMI inputs on my amp. It only gets used when we watch something via the projector as the Google TV built in apps do that job daily. I have a switch that changes the amp's HDMI output port from TV to Projector.)

michaelgordon

did anyone watch the football on Amazon yesterday?

I watched the Liverpool derby on my Apple TV and didnt notice any dimming. First time ive watched on that and wondered if anyone did the same? I had it set to max brightness & PL medium which has dimmed when not using ATV

Wasabi

Thank you trophy hunter and jasmart for the confirmation.

Update, everyone. I have resolved it after further research. the HDMI-CEC wasn't enabled on the fire stick.

Now I only have 1 issue left, when watching a recording, the play functions menu does not disappear. I have logged it with Sony support, we'll see if they have any answers.

If fellow members here, have the same issue or don't, please let me know.

Last edited:

JohnnyMN

Just been informed my calibrated 77 inch A80J is being delivered on Tuesday! Hallo! Wee annual leave booked. Feel like a kid on Christmas Eve :D

JohnnyMN

Calibrated before delivery, how’s that possible ?

Crampton & Moore offer a service where they run in the TV in using a variety of sources before calibrating it. They then box it back up and use their own delivery team to deliver it. Graham and David at the Harrogate store have been an absolute pleasure to deal with. David calibrates it using Vincent Teoh's equipment, Vincent then gives the final approval before it is sent out. They also check the screen beforehand which gave me peace of mind as panel lottery with a 77inch TV would be a pain in the arse lol.

Ruby

I'm still stuck with my 32" LED TV despite having two 77"A80Js in the house. I won't risk unpacking until the decorators are completely finished - which looks like next week now.

Attachments

• 20211202_130548.jpg
    20211202_130548.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 76
  • 20211202_130531.jpg
    20211202_130531.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 70

Ruby

Why do you need 2 if you don't mind me asking 🤔
I bought one from Currys, and then another from Costco when they had their amazing 1 day instore offer. I'll be returning the one from Currys, and it's just waiting for collection. Still, even though I can't use either one of them at the moment, it's a nice feeling to have two of them albeit temporarily.

Rick84

Had my 84j since the weekend and it’s my 1st Sony so I’m still getting familiar with it. I noticed they have an IMAX setting but when watching content on the Bravia Core app which is supposedly in IMAX, nothing happens when I switch to the IMAX picture setting ???

ruffage

Distinguished Member
Thank you trophy hunter and jasmart for the confirmation.

Update, everyone. I have resolved it after further research. the HDMI-CEC wasn't enabled on the fire stick.

Now I only have 1 issue left, when watching a recording, the play functions menu does not disappear. I have logged it with Sony support, we'll see if they have any answers.

If fellow members here, have the same issue or don't, please let me know.
I've just tried this. When I'm watching a recording and press the middle joypad button, it just pauses the recording, with a pause icon bottom left. Pressing left rewinds it and pressing right forwards it, changing the icon accordingly. Pressing the centre button again resumes playback. Nothing like your screenshot.

Edit: Now seeing Mallet's post below the i button does indeed make this appear and disappear.

Last edited:

Mallett94

Distinguished Member
Hi fellow owners, I have just joined the oled ownership.
Had panny great 720p plasma/Freesat Humax, but humax started to die, owned neo-qled qn94a 65 for 3 weeks and it was returned today (too many reasons to list why I returned it). I was then one of the lucky ones that got RS to price match Costco.

This Sony picture quality is definitely one notch up on the Samsung.

+ Points for Freesat (my Ariel doesn't work) and dual tuners (Same as Samsung, but no other brands has it)
Flexible feet position
- No catch up, and once it has, we have to enable youview people say.

I am experiencing 2 annoying things and I'm wondering if anyone has experience the same.

2 - if I watch a tv recording, if I press the centre button and then up or down on the joystick, that menu is stuck forever! It doesn't disappear after a few seconds. Please see photo attached.
Has anyone found a solution? I have to stop the program, then resume again.

Though I had quite a few issues with the Samsung, I must give credit to the OS, it works better than the Sony. Fire stick is an "app" icon, whilst here I have to choose hdmi. It also has picture in picture as well as dual picture. Can also adjust the size of the subtitles.

But I have to live with compromises and I chose picture quality over easier to operate.
When watching the recording, if you are left with the navigation buttons and info bar at the top of the screen, just press the info button on the remote either once or twice and that should get rid of it.

MCMLXXXVIII

Standard Member
Had my 84j since the weekend and it’s my 1st Sony so I’m still getting familiar with it. I noticed they have an IMAX setting but when watching content on the Bravia Core app which is supposedly in IMAX, nothing happens when I switch to the IMAX picture setting ???
That's just an image preset, it doesn't interact with IMAX content.
Custom is the best, with just a few tweaks to the brightness settings as per personal preference.

Wez68

Distinguished Member
I bought one from Currys, and then another from Costco when they had their amazing 1 day instore offer. I'll be returning the one from Currys, and it's just waiting for collection. Still, even though I can't use either one of them at the moment, it's a nice feeling to have two of them albeit temporarily.
what's the build date on the Costco one ? mine is a 11/2021

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES '22 TV Announcement Round-up, Plus, Most Anticipated Movies of 2022 and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 26th January 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Huawei begins P50 Pocket and P50 Pro smartphone global rollout
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audioengine launches compact S6 powered subwoofer
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Sky and NOW UK for February 2022