Sony A80/84J OLED Owners and Discussion Thread

techdiver

Does anyone have any more thoughts? 👍
The answer to this question would depend on what media you consume. For me the shield plays everything and every format I can throw at it including lossless audio codes. To date no TV comes close to that ability.

I have a large ripped movie collection with all formats from HDR to Dolby Vision in mkv containers. These contain lossless audio tracks such as DTS:X and True HD Atmos. No TV will play that without some form of transcoding but the shield (2019) does.

redz

dsingh1991

Novice Member
As I won't be getting a soundbar for my A80J (our living room isn't huge plus there won't be space under TV as we are building a media wall and need a space for the sky box and ps5), is it possible to have 2 sonos one's (gen 2) that connect to the TV via wifi?

nix

The answer to this question would depend on what media you consume. For me the shield plays everything and every format I can throw at it including lossless audio codes. To date no TV comes close to that ability.

I have a large ripped movie collection with all formats from HDR to Dolby Vision in mkv containers. These contain lossless audio tracks such as DTS:X and True HD Atmos. No TV will play that without some form of transcoding but the shield (2019) does.
Many thanks for that. I thought this TV did have the processing power to do all of it

techdiver

Many thanks for that. I thought this TV did have the processing power to do all of it
It's not the processing power as such it's the supported formats. It's been consistent with TV apps that they only support a narrow set of formats as required by streaming apps.

To date streaming apps don't use lossless audio. Atmos from Netflix etc is delivered using the lossy DD+ codec.

Dolby Vision Profile 7 won't play on internal apps but will do on the shield for example.

Until that changes I'll always have a use for the shield.

Dazzor

Hi all,

Very quick one & apologies if it’s been mentioned/ covered…

Any truth the notion the A80J has newer panels that the A84J?

I’m stuck with Curry’s as I’ve got a voucher from a warranty write off & stocks are low.

Cheers
Darren

Wez68

Distinguished Member
Hi all,

I’m stuck with Curry’s as I’ve got a voucher from a warranty write off & stocks are low.

Cheers
Darren
I doubt it ,only guarantee of the so called evo panel is in the 77” size

Diehard58

Standard Member
Hi all,

Cheers
Darren
What is the difference between Sony A80J and A84J?

The main difference between the A80J and the A83J/A84J is a single feature. The A83J/A84J have a "Rich Color Enhancer", while the A80J lacks this feature. ... The A80J series is based on the new Cognitive Processor XR which enables a wide set of features: XR Picture for deep, natural, and real imaging.

Dazzor

What is the difference between Sony A80J and A84J?

The main difference between the A80J and the A83J/A84J is a single feature. The A83J/A84J have a "Rich Color Enhancer", while the A80J lacks this feature. ... The A80J series is based on the new Cognitive Processor XR which enables a wide set of features: XR Picture for deep, natural, and real imaging.
Thank you for the swift reply- am aware of mic & colour enhancer as on paper / officially declared differences.

I am sure I read somewhere there’s a chance the 80 can come with the more modern/robust evo panels??

stewjoy

Ideal settings for ATV4K in the UK are set the video output settings to 4K SDR 50hz RGB High. Enable match content for both Frame Rate and Dynamic Range. This will ensure you watch all content correctly. This also means you can turn Off Motionflow and Film mode/Cinemotion becasue you will be sending all content to the tv at the correct refresh rate for the content's frame rate. You can of course improve high fps sport content using Motinflow though if you wish.
What is the advantage of setting it to RGB High?

Mallett94

Distinguished Member
What is the advantage of setting it to RGB High?
For SDR content it gets rid of a slight green tint that could be seen by some people when viewing SDR content from the ATV4K device on a connected screen. There is more information about it in the dedicated ATV4K thread in another part of this forum, I don't have the URL to hand though I am afraid.

Its also a bit confusing becuse Apple use RGB High to mean the RGB Limited range, which is the correct RGB range used for TV and Film content. Apple use RGB Low to correspond to the RGB Full range which is what is used by computers and video games. E.g. I only use my PS4 Pro and PS5 to play games, therefore on my TV for the PS4 Pro and Monitor for PS5, I have both console set to RGB Full and the corresponding setting on the display device to match the wider RGB colour range.

Hope this helps.

ruffage

Distinguished Member
Does anyone use the built in terrestrial tuner? Is it any good? I was wondering whether to ditch the Humax and make do with what the TV can provide, if the EPG is snappy and I think it has 2 tuners?

stewjoy

For SDR content it gets rid of a slight green tint that could be seen by some people when viewing SDR content from the ATV4K device on a connected screen. There is more information about it in the dedicated ATV4K thread in another part of this forum, I don't have the URL to hand though I am afraid.

Its also a bit confusing becuse Apple use RGB High to mean the RGB Limited range, which is the correct RGB range used for TV and Film content. Apple use RGB Low to correspond to the RGB Full range which is what is used by computers and video games. E.g. I only use my PS4 Pro and PS5 to play games, therefore on my TV for the PS4 Pro and Monitor for PS5, I have both console set to RGB Full and the corresponding setting on the display device to match the wider RGB colour range.

Hope this helps.
Thanks. Got it , I don’t game so I’ll leave it as is.

Mallett94

Distinguished Member
Thanks. Got it , I don’t game so I’ll leave it as is.
Sorry, in case I wasn't clear, if all you are doing on the ATV4K is watching TV shows and films, then for SDR content, RGH High would be the preferred setting :)

stewjoy

Sorry, in case I wasn't clear, if all you are doing on the ATV4K is watching TV shows and films, then for SDR content, RGH High would be the preferred setting :)
I have the Sony A80J and everything goes through my avr, the tv has been calibrated so if I’m watching anything HDR ie Dolby Vision it automatically switches to Dolby Vision dark.

Mallett94

Distinguished Member
I have the Sony A80J and everything goes through my avr, the tv has been calibrated so if I’m watching anything HDR ie Dolby Vision it automatically switches to Dolby Vision dark.
Yeah that sounds good! I'm talking explicitly about the setting on the ATV4K when you have it running by default in 4K SDR mode. You have the option to change between YCbCr, RGB High or RGB Low. RGB High is the better setting of the 3.

Of course when using match content for dynamic range and frame rate, HDR10 and DV will, correctly, be automatically triggered :)

stewjoy

Great , will change to rgb high.

Smiffy 2

Does anyone use the built in terrestrial tuner? Is it any good? I was wondering whether to ditch the Humax and make do with what the TV can provide, if the EPG is snappy and I think it has 2 tuners?
The inbuilt tuner is much better than the one that was on my previous LG. Much quicker, but I preferred the layout of the LG.
I'm hoping the actual reception is better too, because my LG was crap at the merest hint of high pressure. 😡😡😡

ruffage

Distinguished Member
The inbuilt tuner is much better than the one that was on my previous LG. Much quicker, but I preferred the layout of the LG.
I'm hoping the actual reception is better too, because my LG was crap at the merest hint of high pressure. 😡😡😡
Thanks. Might try plugging a USB drive in tonight to see what the recording capabilities are like. Now if only we had Freeview and the catchup services... 🙄

Thanks. Might try plugging a USB drive in tonight to see what the recording capabilities are like. Now if only we had Freeview and the catchup services... 🙄
I am using 4k fire stick at the moment. Till all the catch up programs are available. If not then the wife is sorted.

Smiffy 2

Yep. It's the Freeview guide that I preferred but it was painfully slow to load and populate on my LG.
As far as catch up services are concerned I've just purchased a Roku 4k+ streaming stick to get round it. Working a treat. Also purchased a backlit remote for the telly off of eBay. Much nicer, and well worth the money.

ruffage

Distinguished Member
Yep. It's the Freeview guide that I preferred but it was painfully slow to load and populate on my LG.
As far as catch up services are concerned I've just purchased a Roku 4k+ streaming stick to get round it. Working a treat. Also purchased a backlit remote for the telly off of eBay. Much nicer, and well worth the money.
I do like the look of that remote, but have wasted too much money this month. Does it have any more weight than the original?

SeboSlice

can someone please advise the best way to set up my a80j hdmi ports

I have an nvidia shield, ps5 and soundbar, should i just put the soundbar in the earc, the ps5 in the other 2.1 and the shield in one of the others?

Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Piega launches Ace Wireless speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
M&K Sound launches V+ Series subwoofers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Denon launches DHT-S517 Dolby Atmos soundbar