Sony A80/84J OLED Owners and Discussion Thread

Lee33

My 77" A80J is being delivered tomorrow. Unknown to me, my wife has arranged a decorator to start stripping all the ceiling paper in the house and then paint it from Monday onwards. The painting shouldn't present a problem but I'm not having my brand new TV in a room with all that steam being generating from the wallpaper stripper. That means I'm going to have to leave the TV boxed up in a different until the middle on next week!
Divorce.......stipulate you get custody of the OLED

onmeheadson

Can you double check model? That’s an old model number that is not HDR capable.

Sky Q 2TB boxes:
32B1xx (yes)
32B205 (yes)
32B206 (yes)
32B0xx (no)

Sky Q 1TB UHD boxes:
32B203 (yes)
32B204 (yes)
32B205 (yes)
32B206 (yes)

Sky Q 1TB boxes:
32C0xx (no)
32C1xx (no)

Sky Q Mini boxes:
32D0xx (no)
32D1xx (no)
Just double checked and 32B064 is correct. Wow, I'm stunned. Why on earth would Sky give me an old box on a new install?

When I phoned Sky yesterday they said that model IS HDR capable. I'm going to call them again now.

Incidentally though, the Sky menus show my programmes and movies that are available in HDR. If the box wasn't capable then it wouldn't give me any HDR options would it?

onmeheadson

I have everthing going into my receiver then one Hdmi to tv, this includes my sky q box, and if I watch anything in HDR the tv automatically switches to HDR. Just out of curiosity in your settings in the sky q box have you got it set to 2160 p 10-bit.
I have a Yamaha YSP-3300 sound bar but it doesn't pass through HDR so I have to go straight in to the TV. I am set up for 2160 10-but yes.

Mikef

Just setting up my 65 A80...pretty much fallen at the first hurdle.

To rearrange the feet you have to undo four screws, one of the screws is just jammed solid. I can't undo it. To the extent that I have now damaged the screw head trying to get it undone....

jasmart

I have a Yamaha YSP-3300 sound bar but it doesn't pass through HDR so I have to go straight in to the TV. I am set up for 2160 10-but yes.
Sky and HDR
Some of our Sky Q boxes are HDR-capable. To watch Sky Q in HDR, you’ll also need an Ultra HD or Sky Q experience (known as Sky Q Multiscreen in the Republic of Ireland) subscription, and an HLG HDR-ready TV. To see if your TV is HDR-ready, check your TV manual or manufacturer’s website:
If you want to watch Ultra HD HDR but have a box with model number 32B0xx you can upgrade to a HDR capable box by accessing Shop in your ‘My account’ tab on your Sky Q Box.

That's directly from Sky's page here Software versions and Sky boxes | Sky Help | Sky.com

onmeheadson

You're spot on jasmart!

After telling me yesterday my box was HDR compatible, they have now changed their minds 😂.

At least I know its not the TV thank god, as I've already been through three C1's and I didn't want to return the A80.

Thanks for your help guys👍🏻

markc000

Just double checked and 32B064 is correct. Wow, I'm stunned. Why on earth would Sky give me an old box on a new install?

When I phoned Sky yesterday they said that model IS HDR capable. I'm going to call them again now.

Incidentally though, the Sky menus show my programmes and movies that are available in HDR. If the box wasn't capable then it wouldn't give me any HDR options would it?
Quite possible they have just grabbed a refurb box out of a pile. Sadly it’s not at all surprising that Sky have done this or someone on a Helpdesk has provided you with incorrect technical info.

Mikef

May I ask an audio question...am just setting up my soundbase, which is a Q Acoustics M2. to get sound, I have to set the output to PCM.

Is this an ok thing to do? I honestly dont know if there is a disadvantage to this setting over the 'normal' output

cheers!

m

27neth

Distinguished Member
I’m getting the 77 delivered tomorrow. I have seen on the website you can claim £100 PlayStation voucher. As I don’t have a PlayStation, can these be sold on?

Wez68

Distinguished Member
I’m getting the 77 delivered tomorrow. I have seen on the website you can claim £100 PlayStation voucher. As I don’t have a PlayStation, can these be sold on?
I,ll give you £20 for it ...........................:D

ruffage

Distinguished Member
I doubt it. You have to apply with the same account as you use for the Playstation. Reckon they might have thought of that, but worth a try.

jasmart

May I ask an audio question...am just setting up my soundbase, which is a Q Acoustics M2. to get sound, I have to set the output to PCM.

Is this an ok thing to do? I honestly dont know if there is a disadvantage to this setting over the 'normal' output

cheers!

m
No issue in doing that as you are purely sending the sound destined for the tv speakers out to the soundbase. The Q Acoustics units are just stereo so PCM is fine.

macladd

Standard Member
I doubt it. You have to apply with the same account as you use for the Playstation. Reckon they might have thought of that, but worth a try.
When applying it asks do you have a playstation, I answered no, then asked what I intended to with vouchers, one of the options was "give as a present to friend/relative" I double checked with Sony who confirmed the vouchers are not locked to an account and can be used on any playstation account by entering the codes (2 x £50 voucher codes) just waiting on email with codes.

dan540

Novice Member
Hello guys,

I live in a place that has a significant amount of atmospheric dust. It’s common to see dust accumulate on electronics/TVs every few days. I noticed that the top of this TV has heat vents (image below: top view). Is there a risk of dust settling inside the TV due to these vents being on top? Can I cover them to keep the internals dust-free or will it overheat the TV?

Any suggestions?
Thanks

IMG_8157.png

IMG_1599.png

metrixc

Novice Member
Owners of the Sony A84J. Is it true that the “Rich Color Enhancement” is only active in Vivid mode? Vincent Tech referred to this fact.
Thank you.

redz

Hi All, i have searched but can't find an answer to this. my amp isn't showing Atmos when its in the brodcast through any streaming apps or plex. it shows dolby digital + and 7.1 channels.the same shows show correctly when streamed through the xbox and they used tp work on my LG B7.

i have tried changing the audio settings but can't seen to get it to work.

im connected via EARC and the correct cable.

Any ideas?

Hi All, i have searched but can't find an answer to this. my amp isn't showing Atmos when its in the brodcast through any streaming apps or plex. it shows dolby digital + and 7.1 channels.the same shows show correctly when streamed through the xbox and they used tp work on my LG B7.

i have tried changing the audio settings but can't seen to get it to work.

im connected via EARC and the correct cable.

Any ideas?
Have you enabled enhanced on the HDMI inputs

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

NAD launches M23 hybrid stereo power amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Microsoft to acquire Activision Blizzard for $70 billion
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published