Sony A80/84J OLED Owners and Discussion Thread

kermith

That's really sad to hear. I might have to swap to a LG C1

Wait a second. I'm here in Sweden an planning to buy this TV for Christmas. Are you telling me that it would dim itself after 20 minutes because of the score and time bar shown in the upper left corner when watching Premier League or any other sports? :eek:

Ains

Yes definitely in HDR, I not sure on SDR someone will have to confirm
I've never seen it in SDR with football (and we watch a lot here) and you can mitigate it in HDR by setting a preset with reduced peak brightness on when in HDR.

I sold a previous A8H for this very reason, so this is not me just ignoring it, trust me.

jasmart

Tried everything. New HDMI cable, different inputs, unplugged everything for 10 minutes then plugged it back in, downloaded new HDR programme on Sky...still no HDR through Sky :-(
Very frustrating for you. So just to confirm, the inbuilt apps activate HDR fine yes?
Do you have a console or firestick to try an alternative external device. Are you feeding through an av amp / sound bar first or anything?

Lee33

Tried everything. New HDMI cable, different inputs, unplugged everything for 10 minutes then plugged it back in, downloaded new HDR programme on Sky...still no HDR through Sky :-(
How old is you sky q box? the first generation aren't capable of HDR, i qas an early adopter of sky q and had to recently buy the newer model which is HDR capable

nix

S
I've never seen it in SDR with football (and we watch a lot here) and you can mitigate it in HDR by setting a preset with reduced peak brightness on when in HDR.

I sold a previous A8H for this very reason, so this is not me just ignoring it, trust me
So the auto-dimming only happens in football in HDR? Would this also happen if watching a programme with a channel logo in HDR?

And all this can be solved by creating a custom setting with a lower peak brightness for HDR?

Feeling a bit nervous at the moment and unsure what to do. I don't think any football streams I watch are in HDR, but a lot of TV streams are.

Lee33

S

So the auto-dimming only happens in football in HDR? Would this also happen if watching a programme with a channel logo in HDR?

And all this can be solved by creating a custom setting with a lower peak brightness for HDR?

Feeling a bit nervous at the moment and unsure what to do. I don't think any football streams I watch are in HDR, but a lot of TV streams are.
Yes anything with static HDR elements (channel logo, time/score display, HUD in games etc) will trigger the ABL (Automatic Brightness Limiter)

Edit: I feel the same as you lol literally can't decide which to buy as the small niggles can turn into buyers remorse

michaelgordon

S

Ive not tested HDR but from the testing i did do its all about the brightness & peak luminance setting, i watch in a dark room dimly lit so my normal SDR settings are a bit dark.

For the football i used imax enhanced to see what it would look like nice & bright turned up brighness to max, luminance on high all the processing on and motion to high, it looked great but dimmed after a while but im not sure id notice it if i wasnt watching for it, i had to check. Maybe im not a susceptible to is as some

Using my normal custom settings of bright 20 PL medium i dont think ive ever seen it dim so it would be worthwhile playing about with the settings. I havent noticed any dimming in any other content and while id like to watch the football very bright and be able to disable it, ill live with that for all the other picture quality benefits.

Also never seen dimming on games on PS5, god of war, Horizon & mass effect

nix

Yes anything with static HDR elements (channel logo, time/score display, HUD in games etc) will trigger the ABL (Automatic Brightness Limiter)

Edit: I feel the same as you lol literally can't decide which to buy as the small niggles can turn into buyers remorse
Damn this is annoying! I could buy this ( currently on order) and fiddle with the settings to not have a high peak brightness, but I'd have to go through the hassle of a return if affected and buy another TV when prices are higher again.
I think I'll take the easy route and buy a LG C1 from Costco as I don't think I can do with the hassle.

md178

This is what's holding me back hitting the buy button, its between the Sony and LG C1, I can live with the mediatek drawbacks on the Sony but I feel the dimming would irritate me, the Sony is said to have the edge in picture quality but the HDR brightness is part of the picture as a whole
I read loads of reviews on the A8 before pulling the trigger and none of them mentioned brightness automatically dimming, to be fair I've only noticed it with HDR football and I'm not sure if its the on screen graphics that cause it. Surely the TV channels could devise logos etc that don't cause these issues.

StewBucks

Damn this is annoying! I could buy this ( currently on order) and fiddle with the settings to not have a high peak brightness, but I'd have to go through the hassle of a return if affected and buy another TV when prices are higher again.
I think I'll take the easy route and buy a LG C1 from Costco as I don't think I can do with the hassle.
Just a heads up turning off this feature on the LG requires you to go into the service menu. It’s not really something I believe LG would recommend. All OLEDs have some dimming it’s one of the features that reduces the chances of burn in.

Mikef

Picked up my 65"A80 this morning :) thanks for all of the advice so far...later on I will be posting the inevitable "what are the best settings" questions :)

Happy windy friday all

cheers

m

taffyt

Hi not sure if relevant but please be advised there is a 40 page thread on the sky forum with people complaining about dark UHD/HDR football.

I suspect that most of these complainers are from TVs with a very low HDR peak brightness, as I've seen that myself on friends' TVs. The Sky UHD HDR football looks absolutely amazing on the Sony 80J. I am currently using "standard" when watching it (with the slightest bit of motion enhancement), obviously everything else I watch is with "custom" and all motion settings turned off other than film mode.

Let me put in context my earlier comments about dimming.. there is a noticeable decrease in brightness over time watching the HDR football, but you almost don't notice it's happening at the time. It's only when you realise that Tottenham's white shirts are no longer the eye-popping wow-level white that they were when you first turned it on. The picture is still quite bright overall and still eclipses the SDR 4k version.

It's just a real shame that the Sony can't identify the rectangle containing the static elements and only dim that area.

onmeheadson

Very frustrating for you. So just to confirm, the inbuilt apps activate HDR fine yes?
Do you have a console or firestick to try an alternative external device. Are you feeding through an av amp / sound bar first or anything?
Indeed, very frustrating. Yes the inbuilt apps activate HDR fine. Unfortunately I don't have any other device that I can try at present. I'm feeding Sky straight in to the TV with arc going out to a soundbar.

onmeheadson

How old is you sky q box? the first generation aren't capable of HDR, i qas an early adopter of sky q and had to recently buy the newer model which is HDR capable
The Sky box was only installed 7 days ago so I would assume its a new model. 32B064 is the hardware number.

I am starting to believe there is something wrong with the sky box. But it could also be the TV not picking up the HDR signal from Sky I guess?

nix

Oh god! Help! I'm going nuts! 😂

So if I understand things, the images in Football still look excellent after the TV has dimmed, but doesn't 'pop' with the same extreme brightness? And an LG C1 would do the same?

michaelgordon

the images on everything look great.

For settings Ive been following the avsforum settings for quite some time and classy one of the main calibrators rekons custom with a colour temp warm and advanced colour managemtne of red max green -3 blue -15 is close to D65 white point, its what im running and looks good to me

Ruby

My 77" A80J is being delivered tomorrow. Unknown to me, my wife has arranged a decorator to start stripping all the ceiling paper in the house and then paint it from Monday onwards. The painting shouldn't present a problem but I'm not having my brand new TV in a room with all that steam being generating from the wallpaper stripper. That means I'm going to have to leave the TV boxed up in a different until the middle on next week!

stewjoy

The Sky box was only installed 7 days ago so I would assume its a new model. 32B064 is the hardware number.

I am starting to believe there is something wrong with the sky box. But it could also be the TV not picking up the HDR signal from Sky I guess?
I have everthing going into my receiver then one Hdmi to tv, this includes my sky q box, and if I watch anything in HDR the tv automatically switches to HDR. Just out of curiosity in your settings in the sky q box have you got it set to 2160 p 10-bit.

markc000

Can you double check model? That’s an old model number that is not HDR capable.

Sky Q 2TB boxes:
32B1xx (yes)
32B205 (yes)
32B206 (yes)
32B0xx (no)

Sky Q 1TB UHD boxes:
32B203 (yes)
32B204 (yes)
32B205 (yes)
32B206 (yes)

Sky Q 1TB boxes:
32C0xx (no)
32C1xx (no)

Sky Q Mini boxes:
32D0xx (no)
32D1xx (no)

jasmart

the images on everything look great.

For settings Ive been following the avsforum settings for quite some time and classy one of the main calibrators rekons custom with a colour temp warm and advanced colour managemtne of red max green -3 blue -15 is close to D65 white point, its what im running and looks good to me
Same as that for the colour and will second your comment - looks really good. I was running expert 1 before that.

JohnnyMN

My 77" A80J is being delivered tomorrow. Unknown to me, my wife has arranged a decorator to start stripping all the ceiling paper in the house and then paint it from Monday onwards. The painting shouldn't present a problem but I'm not having my brand new TV in a room with all that steam being generating from the wallpaper stripper. That means I'm going to have to leave the TV boxed up in a different until the middle on next week!

Sounds like divorce is your only option 😂.

jasmart

Can you double check model? That’s an old model number that is not HDR capable.
Very useful feedback there Mark. I was going to suggest just try a cheap Amazon basics 18GB HDMI cable as that's the cheapest option before going down the replacement hardware route.

@onmeheadson Well he's found your issue. That's bad from the installer I'd say. Best get on the phone to Sky as it's a new install

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

BBC licence fee to be scrapped in 2027
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for February 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
iFi Audio launches ZEN One Signature DAC