Sony A80/84J OLED Owners and Discussion Thread

onmeheadson

Yes, I'm afraid it seems so. A good test program I use is the Sky Nature doc Meerkat Dynasties. If you play that, you can see it switches into HDR mode by pressing the Sony quick settings menu, bring up picture settings and you'll see the HDR logo at the top of the right hand side menu. If you stop it, going back to a normal channel, you see the picture flicker/blank as it turns off the HDR mode.
For viewing Sky Q I have it set to Picture Mode: Custom, Auto Picture Mode: Off, Light Sensor: Off
Brightness Max
Contrast 90
Gamma 0
Black Level 50
Black Adjust Off
Adv. Contrast Enhancer Off
Peak Luminance High
The HDMI settings towards the bottom are all set to auto.

Other things for you to try.
(i) This would only work if you have enabled the Enhanced HDMI setting on the port that links TV to your Sky Q, as below
Press the HOME button on the remote control.
Select Settings.
Select External inputs in the TV category.
Select HDMI signal format and set to Enhanced format.
(ii) You need a Premium High Speed HDMI cable which supports 18Gbps
Many thanks for your help with this jasmart.

I will try Meerkat Dynasties when I get home later. My settings are similar to yours and I have set HDMI 1 to Enhanced Format. The only thing I'm not sure of is the HDMI cable but it is the one supplied by Sky so you would assume that it is suitable for HDR? Or do I need to upgrade it?

markc000

Many thanks for your help with this jasmart.

I will try Meerkat Dynasties when I get home later. My settings are similar to yours and I have set HDMI 1 to Enhanced Format. The only thing I'm not sure of is the HDMI cable but it is the one supplied by Sky so you would assume that it is suitable for HDR? Or do I need to upgrade it?
Was Sky Q HDR working before on your previous TV? My A80 switches HDR on/off no problem with Sky Q. Any chance you have an older Sky Q box?

onmeheadson

Was Sky Q HDR working before on your previous TV? My A80 switches HDR on/off no problem with Sky Q. Any chance you have an older Sky Q box?
I only had it installed on Friday, the day before the Sony was delivered. So I don't know which is frustrating. I think I'm going to call Sky to get their thoughts.

Just to confirm...when you're watching an HDR programme on Sky, if you go into Picture Settings it shows and HDR logo in the top right corner? And the input that Sky is connected to is set Enhanced Format, and HDR Mode to Auto?

Does it matter what HDMI input I connect Sky Q to? They are all capable of 4k HDR aren't they?

Thanks

Smiffy 2

morning gang...I've decided to go for a 65" set as they are £1799 this week...my question of the day is - I may bring it home from the store myself, am I ok to have it lie flat in my car? Is that likely to damage it in any way?

cheers

m
Should be okay but if possible I'd lay a doubled up duvet underneath to help cushion it. I've done this with my last three flat screens, even out of the original packaging, and have never had a problem

markc000

I only had it installed on Friday, the day before the Sony was delivered. So I don't know which is frustrating. I think I'm going to call Sky to get their thoughts.

Just to confirm...when you're watching an HDR programme on Sky, if you go into Picture Settings it shows and HDR logo in the top right corner? And the input that Sky is connected to is set Enhanced Format, and HDR Mode to Auto?

Does it matter what HDMI input I connect Sky Q to? They are all capable of 4k HDR aren't they?

Thanks
Yes absolutely. When I start/stop an episode of “Brassic” the HDR logo appears/disappears in picture settings

HDR mode is set to “auto”

My HDMI is #2 I don’t think it matters, I’d be very surprised of your cable was the issue

Input is set to “Enhanced Format”

Sky Q box version is 32B206. I know the old ones don’t do HDR. I can’t imagine they would have given you an older Sky Q box on a new install?

onmeheadson

Yes absolutely. When I start/stop an episode of “Brassic” the HDR logo appears/disappears in picture settings

HDR mode is set to “auto”

My HDMI is #2 I don’t think it matters, I’d be very surprised of your cable was the issue

Input is set to “Enhanced Format”

Sky Q box version is 32B206. I know the old ones don’t do HDR. I can’t imagine they would have given you an older Sky Q box on a new install?
Ok, thanks again mark. I'm set up exactly the same apart from Sky connecting to HDMI 1.

I'm wondering if the old classic of unplugging and plugging back in again might help?!

Something else I noticed was that Netflix through the native app displayed DV but through sky did not detect HDR.

jasmart

Ok, thanks again mark. I'm set up exactly the same apart from Sky connecting to HDMI 1.

I'm wondering if the old classic of unplugging and plugging back in again might help?!

Something else I noticed was that Netflix through the native app displayed DV but through sky did not detect HDR.
Your Sky supplied cable should be of a decent enough quality. 100 % try a full reboot of all the devices, the Sony TV, the Sky Q box. I work in IT and although it's a cliché, it does resolve so many issues.

The Netflix app on Sky Q does do HDR, but I'd advise use the TV app. IMHO that gives a better image and also will allow for the auto switching to Dobly Vision picture modes.

Kingmob04

markc000

£2999 now for the A80J 77" 😲
Yes I feel like my bitcoin has plummeted!

I was told a few weeks ago by a Sony store manager this was going to happen, I didn't quite know whether to believe him or not at the time.

You know what, its so good Im not overly fussed. It was an impulse buy and I didn't even do the deep research that I usually do or that such an expensive item warrants. Only mad dogs and Englishmen purchase a new model 77'' television 8 weeks before Black Friday.

md178

I do, and It's myleast favourite thing about the TV so far. When I'm watching the football in 4k HDR, the brightness of the white font for the score and time terrifies me a bit, so I'm actually quite glad that the set detects and dims it. Unfortunately, it dims the entire image rather than the static section only, meaning that the HDR picture (which is truly breathtaking) loses quite a bit of its brilliance after a while.

It's a gradual drop off, but then you think.. this isn't as breathtaking as it was when I first put it on.
That's my experience with the A8, the football starts off looking stunning but then 15-20 mins in it looks rather dull. Other than that the TV is really good.

BlackSpider777

Hey guys,

Getting this message popping up randomly when watching streaming apps on my A80j,
“into channel service” “pgm added”‘ It comes randomly & is frustrating, any idea what it is & how to disable it?

Thanks.

Kingmob04

Anyone experience audio on the Disney Plus app cutting out every once in a while for barely a second? I'm running it through the PS5 so wondering if it's a better experience through the TV?

martb

Standard Member
I had that, then mucked about with the settings though not sure what I did, but it's ok now. I know, not much help.
Hands up, it didn't really work. I can control the amp volume using the Amp remote, of course, also the firestick remote and the values shown on the tv agree with the amp. However controlling the volume using the tv remote does modify the amp volume but shows a difference of about +5 on the tv against the amp.

Mallett94

Distinguished Member
Anyone experience audio on the Disney Plus app cutting out every once in a while for barely a second? I'm running it through the PS5 so wondering if it's a better experience through the TV?
For all streaming services use native TV apps. For UKTV catch up services you can cast the app from your smartphone, tablet or Google Chrome tab on a computer to the built in chromecast on the TV. :)

Lee33

That's my experience with the A8, the football starts off looking stunning but then 15-20 mins in it looks rather dull. Other than that the TV is really good.
This is what's holding me back hitting the buy button, its between the Sony and LG C1, I can live with the mediatek drawbacks on the Sony but I feel the dimming would irritate me, the Sony is said to have the edge in picture quality but the HDR brightness is part of the picture as a whole

onmeheadson

Your Sky supplied cable should be of a decent enough quality. 100 % try a full reboot of all the devices, the Sony TV, the Sky Q box. I work in IT and although it's a cliché, it does resolve so many issues.

The Netflix app on Sky Q does do HDR, but I'd advise use the TV app. IMHO that gives a better image and also will allow for the auto switching to Dobly Vision picture modes.
Tried everything. New HDMI cable, different inputs, unplugged everything for 10 minutes then plugged it back in, downloaded new HDR programme on Sky...still no HDR through Sky :-(

nix

This is what's holding me back hitting the buy button, its between the Sony and LG C1, I can live with the mediatek drawbacks on the Sony but I feel the dimming would irritate me, the Sony is said to have the edge in picture quality but the HDR brightness is part of the picture as a whole
This is causing me major issues too. I'm scared of the TV dimming while watching football.
Is there no way of turning off the auto-dimming?

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

NAD launches M23 hybrid stereo power amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Microsoft to acquire Activision Blizzard for $70 billion
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cyrus Audio joins BluOS Audio Ecosystem
  • By Andy Bassett