Sony A80/84J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Well, there I was getting all exited as I managed to get a current iPlayer apk onto the TV using a file transfer app but it's unusable as the remote doesn't move the highlighting around so navigating is almost impossible..

It's the most recent apk but I'm presuming this is because it's actually an Android app and not specifically for Google TV, so I'd be interested how you've got something to work that's useable.
That's correct Ains, you need the specific one for Android TV, the others wont work.
This is the specific BBC iPlayer app you require, the download link to the latest version (0.4.7 Sept 21) is at the bottom of the page.
As I say, this works a treat and the app will show up as normal alongside Netflix, Disney etc.

Don't go looking for screen issues with test patterns if it looks right when watching normal content then it's right you can try some settings from YouTube but it's down to you how you want your telly to look I have mine on about 20 to 30 brightness in sdr
Why not? I checked mine for banding issues. No point spending a lot of money on a bad panel imo when you can get it replaced until you got one your satisfied with.

Don't worry to much about cleaning I've had mine 6 months and all it needs is a light dusting I leave mine on custom it's the most accurate setting

Thanks @Smudger558. Just getting Sky set up and caught a look at El Dorado. Even that looks fantastic. It's like a new movie.

I think I'm having the same issue with Sky Q i.e not displaying HDR? DV is working on Netflix though.
I tried watching a Discovery of witches today on sky Q which I know gave an excellent picture on my 2016 LG but on the this new tv it was poor. its in 4k but not HDR. Tv says its HDR but it isn't. Does Netflix look good in HDR for you?

Hi David, just worth checking a couple of things. You know that you donā€™t get any notification on the tv that it is in either hdr or Dolby vision like you do on the LG. Also check on your picture settings that hdr is set to auto. If playing a hdr source then check the picture settings and that will tell you if it is in hdr, or if using an external source use the info button will tell you what the tv is receiving. Sorry if you have tried all these
Cheers Steve. Yes i'v checked and its in auto. Notifications would be handy on this tv too but I know from my old set that its not producing HDR at least not fully. Like I said before the HDR on Youtube looks awesome so I don't understand what's going on. Cant get a replacement for a couple of weeks the supplier says.

Why not? I checked mine for banding issues. No point spending a lot of money on a bad panel imo when you can get it replaced until you got one your satisfied with.
Actually your probably right I must admit I did some tests when I got my 77 but what shows up on tests don't show up on normal viewing so I think some people who just want to plug in and play are best just enjoying their telly and if they see problems then think of replacing it

That's correct Ains, you need the specific one for Android TV, the others wont work.
This is the specific BBC iPlayer app you require, the download link to the latest version (0.4.7 Sept 21) is at the bottom of the page.
As I say, this works a treat and the app will show up as normal alongside Netflix, Disney etc.
Brilliant, will try that. Of course, they'll release the real one as soon as I do it :D

Update: installs and works really well, it's the latest interface as well. If only it did the UHD bits it would be perfect ! Thanks for the heads up on it.

Last edited:
Is there anyway to have headphones plugged in but also have the sound come through the TV speakers? Could do this on my C8 but can't seem to find any option here.

I tried watching a Discovery of witches today on sky Q which I know gave an excellent picture on my 2016 LG but on the this new tv it was poor. its in 4k but not HDR. Tv says its HDR but it isn't. Does Netflix look good in HDR for you?
Netflix is definitely displaying DV but Sky doesn't seem to be in HDR. But I'm not sure how I would know for sure.

Been having a play and Netflix is NOT in HDR. When HDR mode is set to Auto it doesn't show DV or HDR on Netflix or Sky. Can anyone help us with this?
Just to add when I press "i" on remote control it shows if the current input has HDR enabled or not.

Sorry, going mad here. So Netflix and Prime are showing in HDR now but Sky isn't.
In order to get your SkyQ box to output in HDR you need to go to Settings > Setup > Audio visual and set the Picture resolution to 2160P 10-bit. The 10-bit part is important, without that you will get 4K but no HDR.

In order to get your SkyQ box to output in HDR you need to go to Settings > Setup > Audio visual and set the Picture resolution to 2160P 10-bit. The 10-bit part is important, without that you will get 4K but no HDR.
I have got Sky set up as above but with the HDR mode on auto it doesn't detect the HDR signal from Sky. I have to flick it to HLG manually which then shows HDR at the top right of the picture settings screen. The problem is it stays in HLG mode permanently so you end up watching non HDR programmes and movies in HLG which I'm assuming isn't right?

Is it just me and Davy with this issue?

Hi
I'm seriously tempted to buy a 65a80J from Costco. I watch mostly TV / films using my Nvidia Shield and Sky Q. I occasionally game on my Xbox One S (I might upgrade in a year or so).

Please put me off buying this. What are the downsides? I'm also interested in an LG 1 and or Panasonic JZ980

Many thanks šŸ™‚
Had my 65a80J, very satisfied and it is much better than LG C1!
No downside atm :)

I have got Sky set up as above but with the HDR mode on auto it doesn't detect the HDR signal from Sky. I have to flick it to HLG manually which then shows HDR at the top right of the picture settings screen. The problem is it stays in HLG mode permanently so you end up watching non HDR programmes and movies in HLG which I'm assuming isn't right?

Is it just me and Davy with this issue?
Yes, I'm afraid it seems so. A good test program I use is the Sky Nature doc Meerkat Dynasties. If you play that, you can see it switches into HDR mode by pressing the Sony quick settings menu, bring up picture settings and you'll see the HDR logo at the top of the right hand side menu. If you stop it, going back to a normal channel, you see the picture flicker/blank as it turns off the HDR mode.
For viewing Sky Q I have it set to Picture Mode: Custom, Auto Picture Mode: Off, Light Sensor: Off
Brightness Max
Contrast 90
Gamma 0
Black Level 50
Black Adjust Off
Adv. Contrast Enhancer Off
Peak Luminance High
The HDMI settings towards the bottom are all set to auto.

Other things for you to try.
(i) This would only work if you have enabled the Enhanced HDMI setting on the port that links TV to your Sky Q, as below
Press the HOME button on the remote control.
Select Settings.
Select External inputs in the TV category.
Select HDMI signal format and set to Enhanced format.
(ii) You need a Premium High Speed HDMI cable which supports 18Gbps

Brilliant, will try that. Of course, they'll release the real one as soon as I do it :D

Update: installs and works really well, it's the latest interface as well. If only it did the UHD bits it would be perfect ! Thanks for the heads up on it.
Glad that helped.

just Purchased the a84j 65ā€ after my pioneer Kuro 500m died the other day šŸ˜¢
all set up and wow, what a picture, very happy so far.
I have a question.
so I have a denon amp which has Freesat, Apple TV 4K etc plugged into it.
I use zone 2 for the same picture in the kitchen and all works fine.
is there a way of doing the same with whatā€™s playing on the Sony ?
the problem I see is that zone 2 mirrors whatā€™s connected to the hdmi inputs on the amp, the Sony works on its own platform so Not connected to the inputs on the amp.
so am I right thinking there is no way to do this ?
cheers, Andy.

morning gang...I've decided to go for a 65" set as they are Ā£1799 this week...my question of the day is - I may bring it home from the store myself, am I ok to have it lie flat in my car? Is that likely to damage it in any way?

cheers

m

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom