Sony A8 or Samsung Q90T?

martd

Hi guys

I'm in a bit of a dilemma, as are most in this forum......

I've managed to narrow down my search to the Sony A8 and Samsung Q90T - based on reviews and the wife's opinion (doesn't like LG, or thick bezel, or this, or that.....)

So I'm down to the 55" Sammy LED and Sony OLED.

We mainly watch 1080 stuff, but also Netflix/Prime. I do love 4k content so will be watching more and more.
A little bit of PS4 and PS5 eventually, but maybe 5 hour a week at a push, so not an enthusiast by any stretch.
When I'm allowed I'll watch the football, but not too often, it's mainly films and box sets that we watch.

The room is fairly bright during the day, but in the evening (when we watch TV the most) it's dark but we do have two annoying wall lights directly opposite the TV - oh and a mirror between the lights too.

Today I had a look at the two TVs side by side but it was a struggle to see what the reflection would be like in real-life situation.
I tried shining my phone LED light at the TVs but I'm not convinced it is a fair representation of the room it's be in.
One concern was the rainbow effect from antiglare on the Q90T which was more distracting than the slightly brighter light in the A8

I'd love to hear everyone's opinion on this dilemma - price isn't particularly an issue and my budget is about £1700 so these are pretty much the best for the price.

Cheers guys...........you're saving my sanity!

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
Normally it's best to decide OLED or LCD. The two sets you've narrowed down are both very good and have pros and cons. I think I would go for the OLED if you aren't worried about screen burn.

martd

Thanks LCDseeker, I am drawn to the OLED.
I do like the brightness of the Samsung but the Sony OLED does look great.
I’m just worried about the lack of brightness of the OLED in our lounge.
Reflection is a consideration as at the moment we have a KS7500 curved and the reflection is so irritating but mainly because of the curve I think.

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
How about the XH9505? I've just just that as we have a bright room and it's an excellent set plus you get the excellent Sony motion. I doubt you'll be disappointed with whatever you decide as all are top end sets.

Dodgexander

So I'm down to the 55" Sammy LED and Sony OLED.
No such thing as LED, only LCD. You need to choose between display technologies first, otherwise you can end up with something that isn't idea for your room.
A little bit of PS4 and PS5 eventually, but maybe 5 hour a week at a push, so not an enthusiast by any stretch.
One of the disadvantages going with Sony is the lack of HDMI 2.1 VRR support for future proofing games. Its not needed, but its a nice to have for smoother frame rates with less blur.
The room is fairly bright during the day, but in the evening (when we watch TV the most) it's dark but we do have two annoying wall lights directly opposite the TV - oh and a mirror between the lights too.
If you don't want to deal with reflections the Q90T will be a little better than the OLED. On the other hand, in darker conditions, and for other reasons the OLED will be more impressive all round.
Today I had a look at the two TVs side by side but it was a struggle to see what the reflection would be like in real-life situation.
You just won't know until you own the TV unfortunately. If its a big problem presently and you intend to use the TV with those lights on, you should get an LCD TV to stand the best chance of avoiding it.

martd

Thanks guys

I do like the XH9505 but the wife doesn't like the bottom bezel - too thick apparently.

After looking at my KS7500 I think its the rainbow effect that's most annoying me, which I believe will be more "rainbowy" with the Q90T, albeit less reflective over all.

I think I'm going to go for the Sony A8, cheers for the advice. I'll let you know it goes.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom