Sony A8 or Panasonic Hz1000?

My mate has the 980 65 and from what i have seen it looks great. I had no intention of upgrading until i saw the deal this morning and the wife gave the go ahead. I just thought like everyone else the 980 was a gz with a couple of extras. Now this 50hz thing is doing my head in
Yeah I’ve also submitted a price match for the HZ980 at £1399 and seen the posts about the 50hz issue. I’ve also read @Dodgexander address it a few times stating it’s not a 50hz panel. Don’t know how much that would really impact even if it is an issue? £1399 seems like a great deal though.

Yeah I’ve also submitted a price match for the HZ980 at £1399 and seen the posts about the 50hz issue. I’ve also read @Dodgexander address it a few times stating it’s not a 50hz panel. Don’t know how much that would really impact even if it is an issue? £1399 seems like a great deal though.
Same i really dont no what to do. I have one on order so tempted to cancel now and see what happens

There's no 50hz issue with the HZ980. It runs a 120hz panel. The difference is only with backlight drive.

There's also no evidence it uses a 2019 panel.

There's no 50hz issue with the HZ980. It runs a 120hz panel. The difference is only with backlight drive.

There's also no evidence it uses a 2019 panel.
As I’ve now got the price match from JL at £1399 for the HZ980 I’m sorely tempted to go for this model. Where would the issue you refer to manifest itself? What sort of content? Just trying to work out if I’ll even come across it let alone notice it. Thanks.

My mates looks amazing i just cant see how they would use one panel for a certain tv surely this would be more expensive. Do all oleds do 5.5 pull down. Im completely lost. All i know is if its the same as my fz802 but with d vision and 65 im happy

My mates looks amazing i just cant see how they would use one panel for a certain tv surely this would be more expensive. Do all oleds do 5.5 pull down. Im completely lost. All i know is if its the same as my fz802 but with d vision and 65 im happy
The only way you will know for sure mate is to buy one and try it for a while and see. I will definitely be doing that with the 55" version if it gets a drop in price with Costco online. I have a price matched with JL for £939 but would be much happier getting it from Costco and having the peace of mind that I can try it our properly for a few weeks or up to 3 months.

You have the 802 which is a great TV. It is not for me to say what you should do with your money but if I were you then I would be really holding out until the bitter end for a deal that makes it too good not to try. There is also the (almost certain) reality that the 65HZ1000 is going to go down in price. If you miss out then you have the luxury of already owning a great TV and you will have saved over a grand (which you can then spend on BF or next year).
The whole HZ980 thing makes no sense. Panny already have the 1000, 1500 and 2000 models - clear and easy to understand - base, midrange and premium.

The HZ980 nomenclature itself says " afterthought cheapo HZ1000", rather than sounding like a coherent model in it's own right. This is further compounded by Panasonic being so vague about the differences between the 980/1000 which causes all this confusion. It is clear that the 980 must be a lower spec than the 1000, but in what way exactly?

My understanding was that it had a 2019 panel, and lacks BFI insertion. Others have claimed that it has a different processor. Now this 50hz panel stuff has cropped up, which I hadn't heard about before - who knows?

The HZ980 is clearly a very good TV in it's own right, but Panny marketing does it no favours. Perhaps naming in the HZ500 would have helped.
I totally agree with this. I don't quite understand myself the logic behind what Panasonic are doing. Next year it is even more complicated because they have the smaller 48" versions with the same model numbers as the larger higher 'master series' spec sets with the custom panels but it appears that those better panels won't be in the smaller sets. On their website they have a jz1500 in 48" but it won't have the pro panel by the looks of it. I don't understand how they can give it the same model number? Maybe I am missing something but it seems a bit odd.

Im going to ring and cancel and wait and see if the HZ1000 drops the fz looks stunning its just the draw of a 65 at a good price

Im going to ring and cancel and wait and see if the HZ1000 drops the fz looks stunning its just the draw of a 65 at a good price
I think you have made the right call. Its weird because I was just looking at the JZ series and the JZ980 has 'smooth drive motion pro' like all the other jz sets but for this year the hz980 has 'smooth motion drive' whereas the other hz's all have 'smooth motion drive pro'.

As i cancel they might offer a deal on a 1000 you never know. Im still baffled the mrs said yes thats more of a surprise than anything

Sevonoaks have a ex display a8 65 £1499 very tempted any problems with the tv. Last sony i had was a 32 vega

Sevonoaks have a ex display a8 65 £1499 very tempted any problems with the tv. Last sony i had was a 32 vega
Never be tempted by an ex-display. Never worth the risk unless an LCD.

I had my kuro for 10yrs ex display never a problem it comes with 5yr warranty. But i know what you mean with burn in i suppose

I had my kuro for 10yrs ex display never a problem it comes with 5yr warranty. But i know what you mean with burn in i suppose
Why chance it for the sake of a couple of hundred quid? In the nicest possible sense, I fear you are suffering from paralysis of analysis mate. You would feel much better if you made a decisive choice of TV, stuck to it and then moved on. Different makes, different models, different retailers, different offers, should i wait, should I pull the trigger.....too much grief.

To be fair i have looked at one tv the hz980 at £1399 then found out about the 50hz and pull down issues. Then got up this morning looked at other options and found the sony at sevonoaks. I wouldn't call that anything other than looking at options. If the 980 would of been what everyone was saying it was a couple of months ago a re badge gz950 it would be on its way. As we all no its a minefield on what to get

Well I’ve gone with the Sony KD65A8 this morning, using my JL price match. Thanks for the inputs in helping with the decision. Fingers crossed for a good panel now..!

Well I’ve gone with the Sony KD65A8 this morning, using my JL price match. Thanks for the inputs in helping with the decision. Fingers crossed for a good panel now..!
Sounds good. This is the top contender for me as well at the moment. Would be keen to hear how you get on with it. What price did you get?

Sounds good. This is the top contender for me as well at the moment. Would be keen to hear how you get on with it. What price did you get?
Thanks. should be with me Friday so might get a chance to get it up over the weekend. I got it at £1639 with a JL price match. Will feedback once it’s up and running.

Just got the last 65 a8 in john lewis bristol £1519 well happy with that

So far its bigger lol. Looks brilliant so far but i need to fined some settings on you tube. At the moment its just in custom

Ho
Thanks. should be with me Friday so might get a chance to get it up over the weekend. I got it at £1639 with a JL price match. Will feedback once it’s up and running.
How are you finding the tv. Im still on the fence with mine if any better than the panny. Last weeks falcon winter soldier did look amazing in places and love and monsters on netflix

Ho

How are you finding the tv. Im still on the fence with mine if any better than the panny. Last weeks falcon winter soldier did look amazing in places and love and monsters on netflix
I did a lot of tweaking of settings initially as I started with the recommended ones from the long thread on here, but it didn’t have the “pop” I was after. I appreciate it’s more for dark rooms and film buffs, but just didn’t work for me. I watch a lot of sport and a fair bit through the day time so needed a brighter, sharper image.

I’m now delighted with it. I’ve got settings based off the “standard” pre set, honed to my liking and content and it looks stunning, simply stunning.

Can’t comment in relation to the Panny as I’ve not seen one in the flesh, but it’s hard to imagine a better picture for what I need.

Hi
I received the 65" HZ1000 I ordered from Richersounds Belfast this afternoon and have been looking at various sources including satellite, terrestrial and streaming (fire stick). I'm blown away by the picture. It wouldn't be hard as I was coming from a V20 plasma. Nevertheless, I'm glad I went for it in the end. Really impressed with 4k stuff on Disney+. Watched The Falcon and Winter Soldier and some Mandalorian episodes. DV IQ came up for the former. Watched some Netflix HD stuff, love and Monsters, and upscaled quite well. I set all inputs to professional 1 for moment and I'll definitely get the box calibrated after a month or two when the restrictions lift a little. Paid a little more than I wanted to but the delay in the new pannys coming out convinced me to buy.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom