Sony A8 or Panasonic Hz1000?

pughypro

Only one thing I’m a little disappointed with is when the Sony defaults to Dolby Vision mode for HDR content when using the on board apps (Netflix, Disney+ etc) as I find that pre set pretty lack lustre. Anyone else found this?

Dodgexander

Tends to be the case with Sony's implementation of Dolby Vision. Try the bright preset and make sure Netflix calibrated mode is disabled. For HDR also make sure the TV is settings brightness max as it does with HDR10.

martin 39

Only one thing I’m a little disappointed with is when the Sony defaults to Dolby Vision mode for HDR content when using the on board apps (Netflix, Disney+ etc) as I find that pre set pretty lack lustre. Anyone else found this?
How are you finding the tv now its definitely got better as the hrs on set increase. 4k blu-ray is stunning also upscale of blu rays. One thing that bugs me is changing settings all the time for hdr and standerd tv.

pughypro

How are you finding the tv now its definitely got better as the hrs on set increase. 4k blu-ray is stunning also upscale of blu rays. One thing that bugs me is changing settings all the time for hdr and standerd tv.
I def can’t complain. With the right content it’s a great picture. Doesn’t do a bad job at all either of upscaling poorer material. One thing I’m really pleased about is no visible sign of banding or screen uniformity issues as I had a bit of this with my previous LG Oled.

bobflunkit

Ok, what would you go for?

I have the 65” Sony A8 price matched with KL for £1639 and the 65” Panasonic HZ1000 price matched also with JL at £1849.

I watch a fair bit of sport, golf and football mainly. I do also enjoy films, mostly through Netflix, Disney+ or the odd Blu-ray. No HDR content yet and don’t game so not a priority.

Watched lots of reviews and they both come out well.

Help me choose, thanks.

am I being daft? KL? Where the a8 @ 1639?

pughypro

It was Hills Sound and Vision that had the A8 at that price and JL matched it.

martin 39

am I being daft? KL? Where the a8 @ 1639?
I managed to get mine from j lewis instore for £1500 65inch with 5 yr warranty in bristol its worth going in as they have damaged and opened box stock selling off in most stores this was 2 weeks ago i also got a ub820 the same for £250 opened box.

pughypro

I managed to get mine from j lewis instore for £1500 65inch with 5 yr warranty in bristol its worth going in as they have damaged and opened box stock selling off in most stores this was 2 weeks ago i also got a ub820 the same for £250 opened box.
That’s a great price 👍

silent ninja

Settings should change automatically depending on input. I don't change my settings at all, except if lights are on I go with Dolby Vision Bright, if dimmed I go with Dolby Vision Dark which looks better overall to my eyes.

I've had the A8 since Christmas and it's frankly amazing. PQ is top notch, and the family all like the Android TV interface. It's fast and simple. It's a sturdy built set too, my 2 year old gets her fingerprints all over it! The sound is somewhat underrated - it's fairly loud when it needs to be, but I like how it's very refined for TV speakers. The dialogue for example is superb.

martin 39

Could you please post your settings. If i follow the settings on the owner thread sdr is so dark and washed out its untrue faces are nigh on grey. I have peak luminance on high or medium for most sdr. Everything else is superb just sky is shocking and anything sdr

colinrichardson

Standard Member
I have a fairly bright front room, which one of these would be better suited? Either way, during the day or early evening, could I just increase brightness etc in one of the presets to compensate or does this increase possible burn in? Or, worst case, should I be looking at a top of the range LCD?

martin 39

I have no problem with mine during the day i have a 55 panasonic fz 802 oled and a 65 sony a8 personally i dont think you will notice much difference between the 2. I think the panasonic looks better out of the box but the smart features are hands down better on the sony

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom