Sony A8 (AH8) OLED TV Owners & Discussion Thread

I actually re-did that dreaded 5% grey test from YT just now and I must say that - indeed - after about 100hrs screen uniformity improved DRAMATICALLY. Mine panel looked horrible when I first ran it, but now, it's just that one vertical line that stayed, the rest is literally gone. I'm impressed. So, whoever isn't happy about his panel just give it some time - things will get better.

If you are watching a standard blu ray does the tv upscale to 4k and how do you tell i cant find a info button on the remote.
Also what do people set there peak luminance at for standard blu ray im using high
Every TV has to upscale a 1080 image to fit a 4K TV or u would have a tiny picture in the middle of your screen.
I use high also for peak luminance.

Sorry stupid question just checking. As for peak luminance i think standard blu ray looks really good on the tv. Just wish you could set up for tv blu ray and 4k hdr separately

Sorry stupid question just checking. As for peak luminance i think standard blu ray looks really good on the tv. Just wish you could set up for tv blu ray and 4k hdr separately
I have a 4K Blu-ray player but still have several regular Blu-ray's which look great upscaled only thing missing is the HDR.

You can. There are separate settings for every input/source and on each one, a setting for both SDR and HDR. What sources do you use for the 2 types of content?

I got everything going into hdmi 1 through my denon 4400h. Aptv 4k, sky q, panasonic ub820 and a ps5. So when i watch golf on sky i have motion and clearness on 1 and peak luminance on medium but if i watch a blu ray i have to change that to high and i turn off the motion its not much of a pain more of a niggle.

If you are watching a standard blu ray does the tv upscale to 4k and how do you tell i cant find a info button on the remote.
Also what do people set there peak luminance at for standard blu ray im using high

If you press the [i+] button, just above the google play button - this gives the input source info. If I put my xbox into 1080 it shows as that, change it to 4K output and the info changes to 4K

I got everything going into hdmi 1 through my denon 4400h. Aptv 4k, sky q, panasonic ub820 and a ps5. So when i watch golf on sky i have motion and clearness on 1 and peak luminance on medium but if i watch a blu ray i have to change that to high and i turn off the motion its not much of a pain more of a niggle.
With the modern smart TV's they are designed to be the centre of the AV setup so to get all the benefits you need to plug everything into the A8 and use HDMI3 for the Amp. This would give you the unique setup for each source. One of the key features for me with the Sony is Android having all the Apps so they are built in which most TV's don't have meaning this set up works well.

The only compromise there is if the amp/soundbar is not eARC you don't get uncompressed audio passed through but to be honest I can't tell the difference with my setup as DD+ and DTS are still great!

Thank you I will have to give that a try ive always just ran everything into the amps i have used over the yrs and switched it that way. I keep reading about sound drop outs on earc so have always trusted just going through the avr

I have set up the apps on the tv instead of the aptv box. Set to earc only niggle is the amp now says dd+ instead of atmos like it doed with aptv. Any ideas anyone or are the apps not atmos. I use netflix Disney and apple tv apps

Just turned TV on and have the new look update.

Also noticed that since this update, Disney+ app now has Atmos and can confirm its working (showing as Atmos on Soundbar).

Also noticed that since this update, Disney+ app now has Atmos and can confirm its working (showing as Atmos on Soundbar).
Is it a firmware update or did it just appear?

what is the version number for the new update??

Attachments

• B2BF71FD-FDB6-42D8-9BDA-0304847E2877.jpeg
    B2BF71FD-FDB6-42D8-9BDA-0304847E2877.jpeg
    288 KB · Views: 141
For some reason, didn’t show updated pic…

Attachments

• 429CF604-5304-4D88-974A-7DC857008B5E.jpeg
    429CF604-5304-4D88-974A-7DC857008B5E.jpeg
    334.2 KB · Views: 120

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom