Sony A8 (AH8) OLED TV Owners & Discussion Thread

Having just got this tv in a 65 i have concerns about the near black problems i seem to keep reading about. Everything i have watched so far looks as good or better than my 3 yr old Panasonic 55 oled. Are these problems real or just people being fussy. Im not really sure what im looking for but am considering a calibration which i dont want to fork out for if there are problems. Any pics or scenes to look out for. I watched retun of the king today on 4k blu-ray in dv bright and was blown away.

With respect, if you're watching the TV and you're blown away with it, then what's the problem?

if you come across problems as you watch, then deal with them, but otherwise just enjoy it. If you're happy to spend £300 ish then go ahead and have it calibrated but if not it's a fantatsic TV and unless it's visibly faulty, don'r worry about it.

Having just got this tv in a 65 i have concerns about the near black problems i seem to keep reading about. Everything i have watched so far looks as good or better than my 3 yr old Panasonic 55 oled. Are these problems real or just people being fussy. Im not really sure what im looking for but am considering a calibration which i dont want to fork out for if there are problems. Any pics or scenes to look out for. I watched retun of the king today on 4k blu-ray in dv bright and was blown away.
No problems here

There are no problems! It’s great TV!

Im watching terminator dark fate 4k blu ray now the opening scenes are very dark with lots of shadow detail i can see no flicker or anything out of place. Im starting to think people moan for the sake of it

Im watching terminator dark fate 4k blu ray now the opening scenes are very dark with lots of shadow detail i can see no flicker or anything out of place. Im starting to think people moan for the sake of it
Streaming is where you will find a less than perfect picture, but that can't be helped only masked to a certain degree. Netflix streaming rates max out at around 15 mbps whereas the same blue ray in 1080p has a bit rate of nearer 40 mbps and for 4k it can be nearer 120 mbps.

There needs to be some cut-backs to get a decent Dolby Vision representation at only 15 mbps and that tends to be in the dark areas of the screen where it less likely to be noticed. (Brightness is more demanding).

So yes - I bet your 4K representation of terminator that has 8 x more data than it's Netflix friend is top banana, watching a Netflix Dolby Vision representation at 15 mbps will not be quite as stunning. (If in theory this was available on Netflix).

Last edited:
Thank you i always try and buy the disc always have. I watched return of the king on 4k dv blu rau the other day.it was stunning to my eyes. Even classic emerdale what the mrs watches on a morning looked good. On my old 55 old Panasonic near black on sky was never the best. Very blotchy at times. For the price i paid for the 65 sony i dont think i could get better

New VID --- A8 and A90J comparisons ..

My only gripe with this TV is mentioned at 1 min 20 and is only seen on highly compressed sources. I assume others see this when watching some Netflix, Amazon feeds? (Flickering Artifacts)

Cheers all.

Just to update, I read over on AVS that to solve the dropouts (workaround) you need to connect by wired LAN (already had this), turn off all TV WiFi even if not using or connecting and then an a full reboot of Android. Tried this and it works but have reported to Sony as they need to fix this.

This fix seemed to be temporary as my sound drops in anything Atmos are back.

Is anyone else getting this.

I do notice that my receiver display blinks when the sound drops so definitely a loss of audio from the TV.

My new backlit remote for my Sony.

Attachments

• IMG20210423101829.jpg
    IMG20210423101829.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 60
Did you get your tv calibration done
Yeah first class can highly recommend it.
The guy talks you through exactly what he does very interesting.
Unlocks two further customs modes for you and sets it up for bright and dark room and anything you have connected to TV.

Can anyone recommend any Soundbars for this TV?
I'm leaning towards the Sony HTZF9 + rears, although my current Logitech Z906's are fine, I feel like I could be missing out on better sound.
Maybe not though.

Can anyone recommend any Soundbars for this TV?
I'm leaning towards the Sony HTZF9 + rears, although my current Logitech Z906's are fine, I feel like I could be missing out on better sound.
Maybe not though.
Depends if you want Atmos and rear speakers and what is your budget

I have the zf9 with no rears at the moment but did have the Sonos arc with sub and sold it as underwhelmed by it .
If you want atmos you just can’t get real atmos with soundbar you need speakers everywhere .
So if you want a taste of atmos and a good soundbar at a sensible price go for the zf9 it seems richer and punchier and dialogue very good .
The Sonos is desperately overpriced and very little improvement over the sony , I know I had both .

Depends if you want Atmos and rear speakers and what is your budget
I made a post about it: Soundbar or Stick with Current 5.1
Sorry, a bit all over the place.

Budget is between £400 and £700 maybe but I may have to buy at another point for the higher budget versions. Just worried as I can see me buying it, then deciding it's not that much better than the z906 speakers anyway.

I made a post about it: Soundbar or Stick with Current 5.1
Sorry, a bit all over the place.

Budget is between £400 and £700 maybe but I may have to buy at another point for the higher budget versions. Just worried as I can see me buying it, then deciding it's not that much better than the z906 speakers anyway.
As Gary65 said lots of soundbars will decode Atmos and give you better sound. Unless you got a lot of room for all the speakers and a dedicated receiver your going to be limited with a soundbar like myself.
I just got the Sony G700 soundbar as it was on offer for £300 decodes Atmos and is an improvement on TV speakers.

Yeah first class can highly recommend it.
The guy talks you through exactly what he does very interesting.
Unlocks two further customs modes for you and sets it up for bright and dark room and anything you have connected to TV.
Was it costly to have done and can you tell the difference

Was it costly to have done and can you tell the difference
Definitely more detail even shows you before and after the skin tones look more natural just everything looks better in my eyes.
Cost me £260 plus £30 petrol as he traveled 100 mile.
Takes him about 4hrs to do it.

I was wondering what is the recommended peak luminance setting for this TV in SDR mode only? I watch in a dark room, but with peak luminance on medium, the picture looks a little dark even with brightness on 25. It looks better with brightness on 10 and peak luminance on high. I see that the rtings calibration shows peak luminance on high in SDR mode. Will this overdrive the pixels in SDR mode with the lower brightness setting? It does look best, but some scenes can get a little bright. I’m just trying to get the best picture without cooking the TV.

Definitely more detail even shows you before and after the skin tones look more natural just everything looks better in my eyes.
Cost me £260 plus £30 petrol as he traveled 100 mile.
Takes him about 4hrs to do it.
Where is he from? I live in Warwickshire near Coventry.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom