Sony A8 (AH8) OLED TV Owners & Discussion Thread

Turn the "Display Area" setting to "+1", it disables overscan and gives an obvious improvement in PQ.

It is under Home\Settings\Display & Sound\Screen (not under Picture).
Thank you for some reason everything in that section is grayed out and wont let me adjust anything?

Thank you for some reason everything in that section is grayed out and wont let me adjust anything?
I'm doing this by memory, however this also happened to me. I had to try this menu when giving it varying source materials, for example try accessing this menu when watching internal apps, sky, main A8H menu etc. etc. one of these will not be greyed out and allow the changes. (Just cant remember which)...

It's far more difficult than it should be!!

I'm doing this by memory, however this also happened to me. I had to try this menu when giving it varying source materials, for example try accessing this menu when watching internal apps, sky, main A8H menu etc. etc. one of these will not be greyed out and allow the changes. (Just cant remember which)...

Ok, Sky Q allows you to change it to 'Full Pixel' which is the same as +1.

Just tried netflix that is already on +1 but all hdmi 1 is on normal and no adjustments highlighted

16184161964955729396382818831119.jpg

There is no setting called overscan you can +1 it if you want.

Attachments

• IMG20210414173727.jpg
    IMG20210414173727.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 141
Couple of niggles im trying to find out for some reason i cant get my denon to show volume on screen like it used to on my old Panasonic. Also does this tv do a clean after switching off like the panasonic did and at certain hrs do a full maintenance clean

Couple of niggles im trying to find out for some reason i cant get my denon to show volume on screen like it used to on my old Panasonic. Also does this tv do a clean after switching off like the panasonic did and at certain hrs do a full maintenance clean
My TV has been professionally calibtrated and that's the way he set it up.
Also my Sony soundbar if I use the volume button on the soundbar it doesn't show up on TV but it does increase the volume small niggle.

It does a pixel refresh behind the scenes when in standby.

My TV has been professionally calibtrated and that's the way he set it up.
Also my Sony soundbar if I use the volume button on the soundbar it doesn't show up on TV but it does increase the volume small niggle.
How much was that if you dont mind me asking. I had a kuro before the panasonic and at the moment this is the first set i have thought might need doing. Just watched beauty and the beast in d vision on disney and the fire tourches were just bright lights and night scenes were pretty poor. Quite a lot of judder on panning shots

How much was that if you dont mind me asking. I had a kuro before the panasonic and at the moment this is the first set i have thought might need doing. Just watched beauty and the beast in d vision on disney and the fire tourches were just bright lights and night scenes were pretty poor. Quite a lot of judder on panning shots
Was £260 plus a little petrol as he travelled over 100 mile to do it.
Took him approx 4hrs to do it picture looks stunning.

If it's anything like LG they do a mini pixel refresh after a few hours of use when u switch the TV off.
I would love to know if the Sony actually does that, like the LG but I can't find out for sure anywhere. Sony warns against using the pixel refresh more than once a year but LG seems to do it every time the TV is switched off. (If I'm reading it properly.)
As the panels are all made by LG, why does Sony give the warning and not LG?

This
I would love to know if the Sony actually does that, like the LG but I can't find out for sure anywhere. Sony warns against using the pixel refresh more than once a year but LG seems to do it every time the TV is switched off. (If I'm reading it properly.)
As the panels are all made by LG, why does Sony give the warning and not LG?
This has been a covered a couple of times earlier in this thread. After much toing and froing Sony have confirmed that their OLEDs definitely do a compensation cycle after being on for a certain length of time (i.e. a few hours), outside of the "annual" full pixel refresh.

Why they keep this a secret is hard to fathom!

LG does the light version of the refresh cycle after 4 hours or more of use right after shutdown and that takes about 7 minutes. The major REFRESH is done every 2000 hours of use automatically, both systems are automatic and built into the WEBOS operating system.

But I still havent figured out the way Sony does what.
Sometimes when the TV goes OFF then after 10 or so seconds later goes offline, then after 1 minute comes back online, and then within half an hour goes back off line to stay offline, and then other times stays online for hours on end, but have no idea if any of the online time has to do with any kind of pixel regeneration/refresh. Nobody at Sony either wont let go of the information or does not know.
I sure would like to find out how the pixel regeneration or refresh system of the A8 works, hear lots of rumors about 4 hours after shutdown etc. but nothing either firm or official.

SONY engineering could you please enlighten us???

Sound dropouts using inbuilt streaming apps e.g. Disney+

Hi guys, I'm getting an annoying but brief sound dropout whilst watching movies on Disney+ or Prime etc. It seems to happen every 5 to 10 mins and lasts only for a second.

I'm connected to my Yamaha A2 by HMDI or eArc port on the sony and yamaha, anyone else getting this?

Sound dropouts using inbuilt streaming apps e.g. Disney+

Hi guys, I'm getting an annoying but brief sound dropout whilst watching movies on Disney+ or Prime etc. It seems to happen every 5 to 10 mins and lasts only for a second.

I'm connected to my Yamaha A2 by HMDI or eArc port on the sony and yamaha, anyone else getting this?
Unplug every power cable at the wall and even unplug hdmi cable give it 5 mins and start again hdmi cable first then power

Anyone have issues with apple airplay? Everything else on the tv works great, but airplay videos (watching videos recorded on iPhone 12) is really poor, and stutters/judders really bad.

Anyone have issues with apple airplay? Everything else on the tv works great, but airplay videos (watching videos recorded on iPhone 12) is really poor, and stutters/judders really bad.
I'm sure airplay is limited to 1080p

Hi all - I have just taken delivery of my new Sony A8. I am a bit surprised (and panicked) to notice that the screen has a slight curve! Is this normal?
(images below)

F4BCD089-2FF5-40F8-9207-29FBBBA8222A.jpeg

Last edited:
Mine has a minor curve but not to that severity
Thank you for checking - checking from both sides, it looks balanced and not warped at one end only. Tempted to go look at the shop model just to see whether this is common. Not much online about this. But perhaps also because people don’t really notice - I only happened to notice it by chance.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom