Sony A8 (AH8) OLED TV Owners & Discussion Thread

Peak luminance is like a course brightness, you only need to move it above off if the brightness isn't high enough for you at 100%, it can then be fine tuned with the brightness.

I'd stick with custom profile and everything on default for a while as this gives a very good picture out of the box and what Sony thinks looks best. Give your eyes a chance to see lots of different types of content with the default settings, then you'll have a better idea of what you might what to adjust to your own preferences. I wouldn't just copy other people's settings as we all have our telly's in different rooms and have different priorities.
Yeah good points there every room is different and even every panel will have manufacturer variations.
That's why I've decided to get mine professionally calibrated never done it before so will be interesting to see what he comes up with.

Peak luminance is like a course brightness, you only need to move it above off if the brightness isn't high enough for you at 100%, it can then be fine tuned with the brightness slider.

I'd stick with custom profile and everything on default for a while as this gives a very good picture out of the box and what Sony thinks looks best. Give your eyes a chance to see lots of different types of content with the default settings, then you'll have a better idea of what you might want to adjust to your own preferences. I wouldn't just copy other people's settings as we all have our telly's in different rooms and have different priorities.
Your right I’ve reset it. It’s definitely better than my B6

Got it on the wall at custom defaults picture fantastic watching through virgin I’ve also added the Ariel for youview can I find it though ? How you find youview on here please it just goes straight to hdmi 2 virgin I’m curious. ?.

Got it on the wall at custom defaults picture fantastic watching through virgin I’ve also added the Ariel for youview can I find it though ? How you find youview on here please it just goes straight to hdmi 2 virgin I’m curious. ?.
From the home screen, scroll left to the red 'Apps' button, that will then show all the installed apps.

I’ve found it thanks anyway

Question re Kodi I’ve downloaded the app it’s found my nas drive and films anyone know how to get the metadata for them?. I have plex server through my Mac mini so can play films through that. Just wondered how kodi can get the same as I wouldn’t need my Mac on as a server then?.

Not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but since the update and using Plex to stream content it now direct plays 7.1 audio.

Before, it always used to transcode the audio, meaning that you couldn't 'direct play' that content.

Only noticed whilst playing a 7.1 file yesterday and my soundbar just couldn't handle it (TV audio doesn't seem to have an issue with it though).

anybody else notice apple tv app output is dolby atmos? thats what is showing in av remote app. cant find sound info anywhere else within app or on tv itself. Had 2.0 only couple months ago. Or i did change anything in setup, no idea

Yeah Apple TV app has always been Dolby Atmos for me too, just wish they would fix Disney Plus for Dolby Atmos as that’s the only one I need to switch to my Shield device for…oh and Plex too.

Yeah Apple TV app has always been Dolby Atmos for me too, just wish they would fix Disney Plus for Dolby Atmos as that’s the only one I need to switch to my Shield device for…oh and Plex too.
I thought they had on Plex, but i'm not so sure (hence my posts above - because Plex now does direct play for me on 7.1 files).

Need to do some more testing and see if it does make the 'atmos' light appear on the soundbar.

Hi how do you alter the aspect ratio on hdmi 2 got virgin box I want to zoom it to make the bbc breakfast logo disappear (screen burn) I’ve turned the brightness down to min but the settings to alter the aspect is greyed out and unavailable?.

Hi how do you alter the aspect ratio on hdmi 2 got virgin box I want to zoom it to make the bbc breakfast logo disappear (screen burn) I’ve turned the brightness down to min but the settings to alter the aspect is greyed out and unavailable?.

If it is a 4k signal I don't think you can adjust the aspect ratio

Hi Guys,

I'm currently debating between the Sony AH8 and LG CX (65").
Are there known issues with the AH8?

Only thing that makes me currently doubt is the lack of the HDMI 2.1 ports.

thanks!

Well I’m delighted with my A8

Hi Guys,

thanks!
Mines perfect. I went for Sony's out of the box picture quality over VRR and 4K100/120 which I won't use.

Yes out the box picture setting on custom is very good.

Hi Guys,

thanks!
No issues here, the A8 is a great TV.
HDMI 2.1 is not actually used yet, even the PS5 works perfectly with the A8.

No issues here, the A8 is a great TV.
HDMI 2.1 is not actually used yet, even the PS5 works perfectly with the A8.
I would need to check the difference between the two actually.
Would the 2.1 matter really?

I really want a perfect image which come before the 2.1's actually

I would need to check the difference between the two actually.
Would the 2.1 matter really?

I really want a perfect image which come before the 2.1's actually
2.1 is an HDMI specification with many features over 2.0. The biggest change is up to 48Gbps transfer speed with support for 8K60 and 4K120. There are a bunch of gaming functions to help improve lag including VRR, ALLM and QFT (you can research these). It's important to understand HDMI 2.1 is still in it's infancy and LG's implementation is half baked, only adding some of the features 2.1 supports and support on games consoles is still very limited. It will likely be the next generation of TV's that will start to properly support 2.1. So unless you console game competitively and need VRR and 4K120, then go with the LG, otherwise I'd go with the Sony for the superior picture processing and out of the box calibration.

2.1 is an HDMI specification with many features over 2.0. The biggest change is up to 48Gbps transfer speed with support for 8K60 and 4K120. There are a bunch of gaming functions to help improve lag including VRR, ALLM and QFT (you can research these). It's important to understand HDMI 2.1 is still in it's infancy and LG's implementation is half baked, only adding some of the features 2.1 supports and support on games consoles is still very limited. It will likely be the next generation of TV's that will start to properly support 2.1. So unless you console game competitively and need VRR and 4K120, then go with the LG, otherwise I'd go with the Sony for the superior picture processing and out of the box calibration.
I don't play a lot at this point, but my son will in some years.

But prolly in 5 years I'll replace the TV anyways again, so won't be a problem then

Why? unless your watching BBC news 24/7.
As long as you mix up your viewing you will be fine don't see the point in zooming in and losing pq

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom